Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alaloth: Champions of the Four Kingdoms - ARPG with dynamic overworld - now on Early Access

Alberto Belli

Gamera Interactive
Developer
I think they are trolling you, but it's interesting to note the developpers get on defensive when a possible SJW terror squad approach their game:smug:

The interesting thing IMHO is thinking that someone can actually judge someone else, his life, his habits, his work without knowing him at all. Starting from a trailer from a high-fantasy RPG. Year 2019.

Alberto Belli

Gamera Interactive
Developer
Seriously: it is a trailer with everything i love in high-fantasy following my super happy childhood playing D&D, TSR stuff and more. Can't feel guilty for this, sorry. And the Producer that took care of all of this is Giulia, Women in Games Ambassador & Board Member. Would be nice to consider this just as a story trailer of a high fantasy RPG

A part of your super happy childhood, nothing wrong with that. It's just when you stay stuck with those tropes to your adulthood that is bad. All tropes come from somewhere, after all. There can be no room for guilt without growing. Say hi to Giulia, tell her I don't feel represented.

Nothing bad because nothing you are actually saying has any sense and you just writing random stuff talking about someone you don't know as racist/misogynist/whatever, being probably the only one really aggressive. Which is fun in some way, as 90% of the SJW topics around. Feeling guilty for putting a ratman in a trailer? Sorry, INT 18+3 here. Rolled a smart char at time. The problem IMHO is not about feeling represented. Is about thinking that if the content A is in, it is automatically hating content B. Because it's about contents. Super easy sample of how it works in the real world: we are probably going to have male playable characters only. And you know why? You are probably thinking that we hate women. The truth is that female chars mean a lot of different motion cap sessions, extra dubbing, tons of custom armor sets and extra design. And more. Which mean extra money. We are not mysogynist. We are just a small indie team and i've to pay people and bills. If i've to choose, no female playable chars and a few more money to make my team happy and deliver. And if you say "Why not female chars only instead?". Because RPG players, our target, is a male target playing male chars usually. Data. Nothing more. Would be great someday to became a huge team and make everyone happy with huge budgets and infinite time to put in all the requested contents from anyone in the world. But again, real world is quiet different. And has nothing to do with racism/misogyny and the other social stuff that should be discussed in other terms. Giulia hails you. If you want to know more about WIGJ, just poke. Best

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Seriously: it is a trailer with everything i love in high-fantasy following my super happy childhood playing D&D, TSR stuff and more. Can't feel guilty for this, sorry. And the Producer that took care of all of this is Giulia, Women in Games Ambassador & Board Member. Would be nice to consider this just as a story trailer of a high fantasy RPG

A part of your super happy childhood, nothing wrong with that. It's just when you stay stuck with those tropes to your adulthood that is bad. All tropes come from somewhere, after all. There can be no room for guilt without growing. Say hi to Giulia, tell her I don't feel represented.

Nothing bad because nothing you are actually saying has any sense and you just writing random stuff talking about someone you don't know as racist/misogynist/whatever, being probably the only one really aggressive. Which is fun in some way, as 90% of the SJW topics around. Feeling guilty for putting a ratman in a trailer? Sorry, INT 18+3 here. Rolled a smart char at time. The problem IMHO is not about feeling represented. Is about thinking that if the content A is in, it is automatically hating content B. Because it's about contents. Super easy sample of how it works in the real world: we are probably going to have male playable characters only. And you know why? You are probably thinking that we hate women. The truth is that female chars mean a lot of different motion cap sessions, extra dubbing, tons of custom armor sets and extra design. And more. Which mean extra money. We are not mysogynist. We are just a small indie team and i've to pay people and bills. If i've to choose, no female playable chars and a few more money to make my team happy and deliver. And if you say "Why not female chars only instead?". Because RPG players, our target, is a male target playing male chars usually. Data. Nothing more. Would be great someday to became a huge team and make everyone happy with huge budgets and infinite time to put in all the requested contents from anyone in the world. But again, real world is quiet different. And has nothing to do with racism/misogyny and the other social stuff that should be discussed in other terms. Giulia hails you. If you want to know more about WIGJ, just poke. Best

Don't feed the trolls.

Need to see gameplay before I have an opinion on the game. Having Chris Avellone come in to change your lightbulbs a couple of times isn't enough to inspire confidence in me.

:roll:

I haven't called you any of those names and I said it was a joke. I commented on what was personally relevant to me: not being thrilled with the only representation of women in the video being that of a reference to a family and that of a helpless victim, with a "suggestive" (to my mind) monster, but somebody's precious ego couldn't handle that.

And the question isn't even one of "how you not make equal representation! I demand equality!" but rather one of why it comes out the way it did and if it is "somehow" a coincidence that it came out that way at all. You are of course free to interpret this the other way and pull a "SJWS ATTACK MAH GMAE, IMMA BE OPPRESSED!". Imagine being a woman and seeing this bullshit all the time.

And ironically enough, it is now on the table that it will (most likely) be a dudebro game. Good to know!

At least try and be honest about it. You've got the budget for ( I quote Steam page description, with a typo bolded ) "mutilations, executions and spectaular moves [...] with tons of dangerous enemies, ranging from small creatures to huge dragons" but not for a female PC? The game even has female NPCs. Maybe it is true, that I really don't "understand how game development and real world works and screw the female demographics anyway" but, well... you know who else uses the same kind of excuse on this matter? AAA game studios sitting on hundred-millions of dollars of budget. So clearly, it is a matter of priorities.

You want to make a dudebro game, make a dudebro game without the bullshit. I have no problem with that. It is just that these days, one usually expects to have the option in "RPGs".

5Gk0Dnz.gif

ArchAngel

Arcane

Uh oh. Next you are going to be going into random topics here and posting stuff like this:
:liberals:
.. Welcome to the Codex I guess :evilcodex:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

Don't worry about it, just make the game you want (and can afford) to make.

Catering to your primary demographic (whether on Indie or AAA level) is not immoral or wrong, it's just business 101.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/919360/announcements/detail/1697224156982024259

Alaloth to be published by All in! Games
Coming bigger and better in 2020!

a171abe47e05644d76c55f57b04a220c290a8c1f.jpg

Krakow, Poland – December 2, 2019. All in! Games has announced a new partnership with Gamera Interactive, bringing another dimension of resources to the production and distribution of Alaloth - Champions of The Four Kingdoms, the studio’s upcoming project. Alaloth is planned to be released on PC and Xbox One.

Alaloth takes players to a vibrant fantasy world created with the support of the RPG legend Chris Avellone. The game lets players explore a fully realized ARPG landscape that is a mixture of old school classics and modern action games. The dark god Alaloth has descended to the mortal realm, lying imprisoned in the Valley of Storms and wreaking havoc. Destroy Alaloth within his prison to free the lands from demise. Do it as a hero… or as a dark lord. Alaloth has been shown at several events already, to great acclaim, winning prizes including Best Game Overall (Infogamer 2018), Best Indie Game (SGC 2018) and Visual Excellence (Reboot Develop Blue 2019). In February, All in! Games will showcase Alaloth in their booth at PAX East 2020 in Boston, Massachusetts.

Gamera Interactive did a lot of research and, additionally, fantasy is something that is still appealing for a very large audience. The game is set between old school classic RPG and modern action games. All the animations used for the combat system are motion captured for a gorgeous effect. Moreover, every single environment is hand painted by the studio’s artists. "Alaloth is Gamera Interactive's flagship project and partnering with such a great partner and respected publisher as All in! Games will be invaluable to its success. They loved the game right from the very first pitch at GamesCom,” said Alberto Belli, CEO of Gamera Interactive. “All in! Games really respects our vision and, along the way, they will be able to provide the resources we didn't have access to, turning Alaloth into a bigger and better game."

All in! Games is a publishing house and development team creating and supporting unique games for PC and consoles. Apart from Alaloth, there are dozens of titles in their portfolio, including Tools Up! (The Knights of Unity) and Ghostrunner (One More Level). "We are thrilled to be working together with Gamera Interactive,” said Piotr Żygadło, COO of All in! Games. “We want to help Gamera Interactive reach the full potential of Alaloth, which has a strong foundation in the fact that the lore is incredibly rich and Chris Avellone has been involved in the project. We plan to make Alaloth an amazing game together."

Chris Avellone, who was a writer for such titles as Pillars of Eternity, Planescape Torment and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, provided creative support for the game. He advised the developers and gave feedback on design content, assisting in the creation of the lore and the characters’ backstories within the world of Alaloth.

All in! Games and Gamera Interactive plan to release Alaloth in 2020 on PC and Xbox One, aiming to make a polished finished experience in respect to scale and content.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If the combat doesn't devolve into mindless, hack-n-slash, the game might have some potential.

This looks incredibly dumbed down and consolised. Only 4 active abilities? Of course, because that's how many face buttons are on a controller. Only four skills on a linear skill progression? Naturally, we don't want to confuse console players. UI takes heavy inspiration from Diablo, taking up huge portions of the screen due to size and is clearly intended for use for a controller? Yes, you're playing this on a couch with a TV several feet away.

This doesn't look like it was made for PC at all.

AliceAlcina

Learned
This looks incredibly dumbed down and consolised. Only 4 active abilities? Of course, because that's how many face buttons are on a controller. Only four skills on a linear skill progression? Naturally, we don't want to confuse console players. UI takes heavy inspiration from Diablo, taking up huge portions of the screen due to size and is clearly intended for use for a controller? Yes, you're playing this on a couch with a TV several feet away.

This doesn't look like it was made for PC at all.

I would buy it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom