Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
As someone who has played BG1 ten years ago, when there was no internet and walkthrougs, while I admit that I don't have much experience or knowledge about rpgs in general, I am pessimistic about BG3. Times have changed, gaming industry has fallen so low and poetic beauty of original BG games will most likely not be reached.

Ah yes, 10 years ago, before the internet or Baldur’s Gate walkthroughs... all the way back in 2009.

What the fuck is this shit?

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
If I recall correctly, one of the good things about DA:O is that it was reasonably moddable. There was nothing like SCS but I seem to remember installing a bunch of small improvements.

Also, for all the popamole, the game gave the impression of being an honest effort with at least some senior staff that actually liked RPGs. For example the holy grail style quest in the mountain town reminded me of BG2’s meandering quests.

Unfortunately, there was way too much popamole filler content, and the character system too limited.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"From the very beginning, we decided that we wanted our players to be able to do things other Tactical RPGs wouldn't allow them to. Things like flying, climbing walls without being limited to ladders, pushing enemies over the ridge... and of course we wanted enemies to do the same! Flying, climbing and even burrowing to give your party a rough time. In essence, we wanted to recreate all the crazy stuff you can do in a tabletop game using all the magic and powers of the 5th edition... and of course we wanted enemies to do the same!" https://www.solasta-game.com/news/9-dev-diary-2-what-is-verticality

Compare this to "missing not work", "leveling is too slow" and "spell slots are not intuitive".... Seriously. except on Morrowind and on M&M VI-VIII, where i can cast fly/levitation?

Last edited:

Jeru

Novice
Just an opinion but one of biggest of DA:O problems was absolute repetetive slog of endless repetetive fighting in similar enounters with same/similar group of mobs. It does not seem like buffing those mobs with mods would adress that issue. YMMV

frajaq

Erudite
context for that tweet? "a damn good reason the original crew didn’t go for this", what is *this*?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom