Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Image of ship carrying your party remains static regardless of the direction of movement.

• Major decline. Well worth at least an image for four cardinal directions.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

agris

Arcane
Patron
I now see the allure of using photo textures of actors for NPCs. Should be done in like... 20 years. :) Hopefully I can set up something similar to what I did in L2 with the overlays. Time to make the break from Ms paint too. Anyone have a recommendation? Something with a mild learning curve preferably and def with layers?
GIMP. It’s an open source photoshop with tons of online tutorials. It has layers, a lot of plugins as well. You can export DDS textures and normals, with the mip level, as well as all the QoL of photoshop.

Take a look at it at least.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Well... It's Friday evening and I am drinking IPA, listening to the Oblivion OST, working on three different games trying to find my muse, and surfing the codex. What does it all mean? :)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
1- Lurking III
2- ??
3- ???

Well... I have also been continuing to work on the original Vermys (now called Solys) as well as a sci-fi/space opera thingy that has been cooking up since L1... The original iteration used the L1 engine but the new version uses the L2 engine and seems to have the most momentum for my bro and me currently. Strangley, working on all three helps me avoid burnout at this point.
upload_2019-3-29_18-50-47.png

upload_2019-3-29_18-51-22.png

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I have to say once that all the coverage (I'm not talking specifically about the Codex), and the money btw, that all these Kickstarter Ultima-inspired games which will likely suck (because most games suck, because I consider it's particularly hard to make a good game of this kind, and in the case of Unknown Realms for example they made it clear they're just making a retarded modern game with old graphics) if they even get completed at all, are getting while these 2 games which are finished, polished, big, good and free actually seem to remain more obscure makes me a bit sad.

Last edited:

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Yeah, oklabsoft should do a Kickstarter for Vermys, just for publicity.

Thanks VK. If things shape up according to plan and everything is looking viable I do believe we might actually take the Kickstarter leap... but only if/once we have something concrete and legit. As of right now, Vermys is slated for a 3rd reboot in Unity by end of year and story/mechanics/details/concept art, etc. are still be worked on. Justin and I have added an artist and professional (not me) programmer to the team. In addition, I have been working hard on Void and Solys - mainly Void of late - would love to get them out. :)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Great news... Oklabsoft has just secured the assistance of a stellar keyboardist/musician who will be working on the L3 score along side me and also helping with the Void soundtrack. Justin and I have now added a coder, an artist, and a composer and I am very excited for the inevitable incline. Void 9.16 is in hyperdrive and I am determined to try to release it before the new year so that all focus can go to Vermys. I just need to figure out how to let my grip on everything slip a little. :)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Jesting aside, I have to say that Void is progressing splendidly. The sci-fi world has opened up many doors and we have an amazing story developing which unexpectedly we were able to tie in to L1 and L2. Diverging from my original plan, the result has prompted some pretty major changes to the engine but it is all good and progressing smoothly. I can say that if you played L1/L2 (or even haven't) you are going to love this game.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
You know what would be helpful?

I looked thru both the quickstart and manual. Nowhere did I see what the actual max party size could be, and I somehow doubt it's 12...

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer

With that being said...is there any point creating 12 characters? Is there an inn or tavern or whatever where I can swap characters in and out during the quest?

Or once I pick my 5, that's it until they are all dead?

Zep--

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer

With that being said...is there any point creating 12 characters? Is there an inn or tavern or whatever where I can swap characters in and out during the quest?

Or once I pick my 5, that's it until they are all dead?

Zep--

Yep. Several towns have a guild where you can swap. It is not necessary though unless you find you need someone with talents fast. You can always create and add to party later if needed too.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
The manual needs to describe what the icons at the bottom mean.

I clicked the "Eyeball" and got a blank shaded Grey area on the screen that would not go away.
I clicked another (forget which) and got a smaller blank shaded box at the center of the screen. This also didn't go away.

I clicked another and the "compass" thing at bottom center lit up...but clicking on it did nothing after it was lit.

Talked to everyone in start town (I believe), did not get a quest to do.

Needs work, men.

Zep--

V_K

Arcane

I clicked the "Eyeball" and got a blank shaded Grey area on the screen that would not go away.
I clicked another (forget which) and got a smaller blank shaded box at the center of the screen. This also didn't go away.

I clicked another and the "compass" thing at bottom center lit up...but clicking on it did nothing after it was lit.

Talked to everyone in start town (I believe), did not get a quest to do.

Needs work, men.

Zep--
It looks like Fallout 4 might be better suited to your tastes.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer

In the manual, if you click on Gameplay Controls in the opening menu, it will take you to a section describing the controls. IMO using the keyboard for most everything is the way to go but the tray icons are described in the 'MOUSE' column there along with their associated keyboard shortcuts.

BTW, the max number of party members (5) is described in the Main Menu / New Quest section.

As far as talking to everyone and not receiving a quest, the story was set up to develop more like in the early Ultimas where you aren't given sequential tasks to complete, but rather piece together clues found throughout the land to determine what must be done as you begin to learn and understand what is going on through conversing with the NPC characters. I know this is not everyone's cup of tea but your general quest is to seek a way to end the Madness plague. Accomplishing this can only be done by traveling about the land and seeking answers by piecing together information learned from your interactions with the world and its inhabitants.

As always, I appreciate you trying out the game.

Last edited:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
You didn't comment on what the blank shaded squares could be when I click the buttons...

Zep--

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
You didn't comment on what the blank shaded squares could be when I click the buttons...

Zep--
Not sure on that one. I was not able to reproduce the behavior. Clicking on the 'PARTY' icon, the 'EXIT' icon and the 'GEAR' icon make boxes on the screen but they should not be blank.

Last edited:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I could tell you what I clicked on, but I can't...it's 2019...tool tips are a thing here in the future.

Is that an eyeball? Is it an Anus, Is it an Oval? Who the fuck knows.

I clicked on the anus and got a large shaded area on the screen from the top left that was blank and wouldn't go away.

I clicked on the dildo and got a smaller shaded area in the center of the screen that would not go away.

Help me, help you.

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom