Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim's Level Scaling is pretty good!

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

Hear me out. I'm watching my pops play Skyrim Special Edition for the Xbox One and I didn't realize the level scaling was actually quite competent. Here's what I saw.

At level 5, a Spriggan will kill you no questions asked, as will a Sabre Cat and many other enemies. Dragons are difficult. At level 10, Spriggans and Sabre Cats can be handled. But Falmer will still mess you up, as will vampires and of course frost trolls (all which still exist in the world at level 10.) Dangerous types of Draugr will mess you up and be impossible to kill, with Deathlords popping up even at level 10.

The game is scaled but you don't really notice it for awhile. Dangerous and even impossible enemies still exist in the world depending on what hole you peek your head into, you can die and you will if you encounter the wrong set of beasties. Compare that to Oblivion where everything just matched your level at all times, it really is an enhanced version of level scaling. I like it.

Skyrim in all is worth going back to with the Special Edition and playing again. It's got a lot going for it and things I didn't realize were cool when I played in 2011.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Sounds like the level scaling is "good" because you don't notice it? What if, now hear me out, they didn't even include level scaling to begin with?

Yosharian

Arcane
Hear me out. I'm watching my pops play Skyrim Special Edition for the Xbox One and I didn't realize the level scaling was actually quite competent. Here's what I saw.

At level 5, a Spriggan will kill you no questions asked, as will a Sabre Cat and many other enemies. Dragons are difficult. At level 10, Spriggans and Sabre Cats can be handled. But Falmer will still mess you up, as will vampires and of course frost trolls (all which still exist in the world at level 10.) Dangerous types of Draugr will mess you up and be impossible to kill, with Deathlords popping up even at level 10.

The game is scaled but you don't really notice it for awhile. Dangerous and even impossible enemies still exist in the world depending on what hole you peek your head into, you can die and you will if you encounter the wrong set of beasties. Compare that to Oblivion where everything just matched your level at all times, it really is an enhanced version of level scaling. I like it.

Skyrim in all is worth going back to with the Special Edition and playing again. It's got a lot going for it and things I didn't realize were cool when I played in 2011.
Pretty much everything you said is wrong

Incendax

Augur
At this point, you’re just trolling for attention and shitty rates.
I really liked your optimism before all this whoring.
Why did you go and break my heart, man?

Falksi

Arcane
At this point, you’re just trolling for attention and shitty rates.
I really liked your optimism before all this whoring.
Why did you go and break my heart, man?

This^ all over Fluent. Before you were an innocent gamer, naive to the ways of CRPGs. Now you're just taking the piss.

tritosine2k

Erudite
... a person who experiences internal inconsistency tends to become psychologically uncomfortable and is motivated to reduce the cognitive dissonance, by making changes to justify the stressful behavior, either by adding new parts to the cognition causing the psychological dissonance or by avoiding circumstances and contradictory information likely to increase the magnitude of the cognitive dissonance(...)
:rpgcodex:
Not just adding new parts Fluent 's a known cheat.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
While Skyrim sure improved level scaling from Oblivion imo. it's still a mistake for RPGs.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Play it yourself. You'd experience even pirate version didn't corrected HORRIBLE level scaling. BTW try to roleplay so you'd have quite poor skills and equipment for your level.

The only dangerous opponents are giants when you are doing ironman. That and one nasty thieves guild quest fight.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know when you go to a bar or party, and there's a group of 5 girls there? 4/5 are good looking, but one of them is a blue-haired, side-of-the-head-shaven, 2lb earing wearing weirdo with "I'm a feminist and I hate men!" on her t-shirt? Well, she's the 1-shot kill 'level scaled enemy' in vanilla Skyrim. And Fluent's the retard that would probably ask her out.
:retarded:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Level scaling is shit in every form and shape. It's like QTEs, it can't be done "right".

They could randomize the scaling (and never lock it down) so that you are only a bit more likely to encounter shit close to your specific level (what ever the minimum or maximum of that zone might be). Basically meaning that in Skyrim you could encounter a random elder dragon already at level 1, and that the difficulty and enemies might be wildly different every time you encounter them even where the game scales them more heavily.

It’s not a patent solution or miracle cure, but it could help with the annoyance of too obvious scaling.

Okagron

Prophet
The topic of this thread is not even the worst part.
Going back to vanilla Skyrim? I'd rather watch paint dry or watch grass grow and i would have way more fun doing that. One playthrough of this travesty was enough.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I actually played Skyrim back in the day, before I knew what actual good RPGs were and the game was still boring as shit.

DraQ

Arcane
The topic of this thread is not even the worst part.
Going back to vanilla Skyrim? I'd rather watch paint dry or watch grass grow and i would have way more fun doing that. One playthrough of this travesty was enough.
Vanilla Skyrim is playable, but why would you ever if you can mod it with Requiem and a bunch of other mods?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom