Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just Replayed Mass Effect For the First Time in a While

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
And my oh my did it hold up. The gunplay was fun, the main missions were mostly well-designed, with a mild amount of non-linearity in how to accomplish your major tasks. I figured going into it that it would have just been me being a young kid before that made it a genuinely enjoyable experience but no, it seems to hold up pretty well.

For me the best thing about Mass Effect was the lore, the backstories and the politics of all the races etc. I think it would've been better without the reapers, but of course Bioware games have to be about saving the world from ancient evil. Combat was playable but not really good, they tried to combine shooter mechanics and the combat from their older rpgs but it ended up not being good at either of those.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
For me the best thing about Mass Effect was the lore, the backstories and the politics of all the races etc. I think it would've been better without the reapers, but of course Bioware games have to be about saving the world from ancient evil. Combat was playable but not really good, they tried to combine shooter mechanics and the combat from their older rpgs but it ended up not being good at either of those.
If you grew up in the USA, sure.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm in the summer holidays now, and trying to clean up my backlog. ME1 is one of those games I first started some 5 years ago. Now I'm on the verge of the last mission.

My god the gameplay and popamole fighting mechanisms are bad, I've actually been procrastinating from playing this by working instead.

I dug up the review of the narrative design of ME1 by TNO here at codex, and his words pretty much nail down the weaknesses in the writing, which was considered the strong point of the game in the mainstream press, iirc. I am not going to go over those, read the original, it's on the point.

One or two nice tropes, which make the player somewhat engaged. Immersed, not, though.

1.5/5 trolls.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I tried to replay them recently because my niece was playing them for the first time, wanted her to have some support for the massive letdown. However, I couldn't finish the second game, all that scanning finally did me in and I just couldn't take it anymore. It was kind of nice to go back and kill everyone I hated in the first game though.

vota DC

Augur
Also the congress of the universe blablabla....a couple of holograms! I don't like burocracy too but it was extreme!
I liked the Mako stuff, it reminded those retro tank simulator games, but seems out of place just like it would be putting warcraft 1 mini games in the middle of witcher games.

Yosharian

Arcane
And my oh my did it hold up. The gunplay was fun, the main missions were mostly well-designed, with a mild amount of non-linearity in how to accomplish your major tasks. I figured going into it that it would have just been me being a young kid before that made it a genuinely enjoyable experience but no, it seems to hold up pretty well.
Meh. I don't think it holds up. And I completed it 3 times back in the day

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
ME 1 is solid. Garus and Wrex are bros and the other companions are not terrible either. Story is OK, missions are OK, combat is not great but at least your skills made a difference.

Last decent game Bioware made. Also the last game that Bioware made before they went from a little gay to full on faggotry. Go figure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom