Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Lord Romulus

Arcane
For the Hirata Owl fight, you can get 2 free hits in when he does his very delayed overhead slash before dodging and getting in a third hit right afterwards. Isshin is kind of overrated in terms of difficulty, he's much more straightforward where 90% of his attacks should be deflected, his charged attacks can be easily evaded or interrupted, and his spear thrusts is one of the more easy thrusts to mikiri because of the huge wind up.

I know most people already finished the game and already moved on from Sekiro, but I like watching girls being bad at Sekiro, dying 50 times to a boss, and being on the verge of tears from finding out Genichiro has a second phase.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I know most people already finished the game and already moved on from Sekiro, but I like watching girls being bad at Sekiro, dying 50 times to a boss, and being on the verge of tears from finding out Genichiro has a second phase.

That is no longer a girl ... but your secret is safe with us.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i really am not having a good time with this game. i even enjoyed dark souls 2, but i am forcing myself to get trough it, and eventually dropping it.

i got to genichiro, beat him, then several other mini bosses like the guy with the gun spear thing, the monkeys, etc. i am at the temple with kung-fu monks. i really not feeling this for whatever reason i can't figure out. it just won't click. i find the difficulty okay, it's exactly like dark souls, you die enough you gotta git gud eventually.

between the mostly useless loot (OH another fucking MIBU BALOONS YAAAAY!) and the levels that is kinda bland compared to dark souls 1 (it looks pretty, i really love the aesthethics and historical setting but the lack of interesting loot really killed whatever good those maps have. ) and the enemies are mostly humanoid one way or another, so are the bosses. like, the system don't add much too the game, the progression is kinda lame (okay so you got experience, skill points, that is used to increase your shinobi arts or whatever. yet those feel trivial. it's not like in dark souls where you level up your stats, and have enough requirement to equip badass weapon you get, et cetera)

you can get trough this game by pretty much gitting gud at parrying, and most of those are easy to pull off. the only skills that i feel matter is the mikiri counter. also the x-slash skill is sometimes useful. the ninja tools are also mostly useless. it can make your life a bit easier, but they feel ultimately trivial and upgrading them is a pain in the ass (either you RNG loot your shit or find occasional treasure chest that isn't mibu baloons or literal garbage ceramic) again, there is alot of creative use for them that i figured out, like abusing oil and the flamethrower, but in the end, there is no incentive because you can pretty much parry counter everything. they are useful for like the first several areas where u don't have prayer beads or memories. once you got 2 or 3 prayer bead chains your poise or whatever it is called is pretty much unbreakable, and honestly the penalty from breaking is too lenient because the enemies usually wait around idly and your bar have recovered, unless it is part of their moveset to barrage you after you break.

there are alot of garbage, small mechanics that amount to nothing. divine blessing or whatever for example. you got 30% of your exp and money saved after dying, then the rot reduce it by *gasp* 10% or whatever. what does it concern me ? nothing. money are mostly useless as upgrading your ninja kit feels useless, and exp is also useless because most of the skills are literal trash. it doesn't really encourage you to care about this shit. unlike souls from dark souls, it doesn't feel like a precious commodity. i feel nothing of value was lost when i die. on paper it seems more complex by separating resources into several categories. items and ninja tools depend on money, skill depend on EXP, while HP/Poise/attack power depend on prayer bead and memory ashes. on practice, they balance these aspect so so badly. the only shit that matter by the time you got basic skills and ninja tool is prayer beads and boss ashes (so you brute force trough everything).

meanwhile dark soul's currency is simple, yet effective in alot of ways, it is a single, unified currency that affect the whole game system. alot of choices to be made mechanically too. do i spend it on skill point or upgrading weapon? do i save it so i can use to upgrade when i get better weapon or spend it immediately so i don't lose it all eventually when i died twice and didn't recover? ) when you die, recovering souls from your corpse feels like a worthy objective. depending on where you are, it can be puzzle of it's own. sekiro don't have these. all you have to do is git gud at parrying. after several hours, the whole thing become stale. you still use the same attacks, strategy, as you did 20 hours ago. the only difference is minor exploits using tools and skills, but it never reach that dark souls feel where you discover a new weapon you like, learning it's style on the go and find yourself a better combinations that you didn't plan. even if you go for a similar weapon style (sword and shield for example) there are alot of variation within. do you use bucklers or big shield? do you use smaller, weaker sword but lighter and faster or big sword that deals big damage?

i dunno, it feels like a bastard between darksouls and ninja gaiden, but it inherit nothing of what make those 2 enjoyable.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
All that is coz Miyazaki was like "hey guise we gotta do new things so Sekiro will be a simple action game you know". Alas they couldn't resist inserting RPG elements in the game again and so instead of a pureblood action game Sekiro feels like a lightweight, half-assed, undercooked RPG.

Still, despite the bungled RPG aspect and related flaws like loot and progression I had a blast with the game.

Black Angel

Arcane
Just got Shura ending, got my ass handed to me by Emma on first attempt, but then I got it in the bag the next attempt and even first attempt Isshin. And holy shit, that sidestep dodge Isshin do is swag and dope as fuck, why won't they include that move as a combat art or a martial art in one of the esoteric text? Either Ashina style or the Mushin style. That sidestep dodge could also be a good alternative counter move to grab attacks; we already have Mikiri Counter to thrusts and Senpou Leaping Kick/High Monk to sweeps.

Ivan

Arcane
giphy.gif

Black Angel

Arcane
You can already reliably dodge grab attacks, regular attacks, and perilous thrust attacks, so I don't see the need for such mod. Not to mention they put that Step Dodge -> counterattack training with Hanbei AND made it a point when fighting Lady Butterfly + when fighting Chained Ogre for the first time. But I'd say it's retarded that it allows you to dodge perilous sweep attacks, because the point of those perilous attacks is that they're low sweep, that generally target your legs/lower body parts, that can't be blocked, deflected, nor dodged and thus must be jumped over.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
On my 4th playthrough. I'm doing 100% achievements without save-scum cheating. I just realized in my 3rd playthrough, how absurdly easy the combo of Rice + Red Eyes make most bosses. Rice balls help too, although they are limited. For Owl Father and Sword Saint, you can just buff with Rice + Red Eyes + All the damage buffs, and hit them repeatedly with mortal draw and it knocks off one of their lives in like 30 seconds.'

Rice is infinite in the game, but you are limited to one per life. However, you can get 3 or 4 rice balls per playthrough, which is more than enough to cheese the Owl Fathers and Sword Saint.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
On my 4th playthrough. I'm doing 100% achievements without save-scum cheating. I just realized in my 3rd playthrough, how absurdly easy the combo of Rice + Red Eyes make most bosses. Rice balls help too, although they are limited. For Owl Father and Sword Saint, you can just buff with Rice + Red Eyes + All the damage buffs, and hit them repeatedly with mortal draw and it knocks off one of their lives in like 30 seconds.'

Rice is infinite in the game, but you are limited to one per life. However, you can get 3 or 4 rice balls per playthrough, which is more than enough to cheese the Owl Fathers and Sword Saint.

wow. rice + red eyes + meta gaming. so eazy.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Can sekiro be considered an RPG? IMO has less RPG elements than most survival games that i've played. Conan Exiles for eg has much more RPG elements.

Anyway, i din't liked Sekiro by one reason. On Dark Souls 2, i can make an Hoplite, an Pyromancer, an Hexer, An sorcerer, an Crossbowman, an Paladin, an Dark Paladin <<<insert more 5000 builds>>> on Sekiro, i can only be an katana swordsman. You kill a lot of enemies using cavalry, spear,s firearms but you can't pick this weapnos and use. Why?

This video defines what is an RPG in a good way.
TL;DW - An RPG needs mechanical and narrative character building (both aren't present in Sekiro)

Black Angel

Arcane
Can sekiro be considered an RPG?
no one says it's an rpg.
^This

Hence why I think it's strange to see it in JRPG subforum. It's a full-fledged action game, so it would made more sense to be in General Gaming. I guess Codex's (staff) prejudice against anything made by Japanese, regardless whether they're an RPG or not, is real.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Black Angel

Arcane
no one says it's an rpg.
^This

Hence why I think it's strange to see it in JRPG subforum. It's a full-fledged action game, so it would made more sense to be in General Gaming. I guess Codex's (staff) prejudice against anything made by Japanese, regardless whether they're an RPG or not, is real.

They don't fit in the General RPGs area anyway.
I said *General GAMING*. General Gaming.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Yeah calling it an rpg is wrong. It has very light rpg elements like the skill tree and prosthetic tree but that doesn't make it an rpg. There is too little customization and freedom to be an rpg. Homever it has c&c in the form of endings

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Btw just started ng+ without kuro charm. Dafuq stronger enemies plus "chip" damage make some bosses a fuckin nightmare. Bull took 6 tries, while first playthrough i killed him at first try. Genichiro 12-13 , in ng only took 5 tries. Strangely i managed to get butterfly second try with almost all gourds. I think the hardest obstacle is mental: the though that you take damage even if you block and you have to perfect parry everything makes me very nervous and make me play worse. I don't find this run very enjoyable. But that's me, maybe for others no charm is more fun

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Btw just started ng+ without kuro charm. Dafuq stronger enemies plus "chip" damage make some bosses a fuckin nightmare. Bull took 6 tries, while first playthrough i killed him at first try. Genichiro 12-13 , in ng only took 5 tries. Strangely i managed to get butterfly second try with almost all gourds. I think the hardest obstacle is mental: the though that you take damage even if you block and you have to perfect parry everything makes me very nervous and make me play worse. I don't find this run very enjoyable. But that's me, maybe for others no charm is more fun
Yeah. I haven't attempted a charmless demonic run for the reason it may not be enjoyable. Unless you're deflecting instead of blocking fights will be very short. The chip damage plus the NG+7 difficulty plus the demon bell making all enemies except bosses stronger do not constitute an attraction for me. I may try it sometime but not anytime soon.

Squid

Arbiter
Haven't played Sekiro but I'm sure it's no more of a RPG than other games like this.
I don't see how any of the From Software games are RPGs. At least, not how I define them. They're very action-heavy games with an emphasis on player's skill. Characters do level up and increase skill and equip different things but ultimately it's how well you can dodge, attack, time, etc. No stat affects when your character can dodge or attack just how much you can do before you have to recoup lost stamina. They take influence from RPGs? Sure, it's pretty obvious even and they do it better than most games that have "RPG-lite" bullshit (Assassin's Creed, FarCry, anything with shitty skill trees with perk points). But these are still action games first.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I beat all the bosses (save for the demon one, which I didn't bother with) in NG+3 without Kuro's charm. With most the chip damage doesn't make much difference. If you have your health maxed out and are reasonably good at deflection, taking chip damage now and then doesn't matter a whole lot. The only difficult ones are: Owl Father (part 1) and Sword Saint. I spent ages trying to beat Owl Father part 1, before realizing that you can back step through one of his lunges, at which point he became easy. Sword Saint sucks, so I ended up cheesing his final 2 stages using red eyes + rice and red eyes + rice ball. Owl Father 2 has never been terribly hard for me. His attacks are easy to avoid and there are tons of pillars you can hide behind to heal. The other benefit of NG+ and beyond is that Resurrection items are plentiful, which makes many of the boss fights much more forgiving.

That said, some of the mini bosses are wickedly difficult (Especially the spear generals). I beat them all, with some difficulty, save for that final ninja boss (Ashina Elite - Ujinari Mizuo) that appears in the basement dojo under Ishin Ashina's house once Ashina is on fire.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I beat all the bosses (save for the demon one, which I didn't bother with) in NG+3 without Kuro's charm. With most the chip damage doesn't make much difference. If you have your health maxed out and are reasonably good at deflection, taking chip damage now and then doesn't matter a whole lot. The only difficult ones are: Owl Father (part 1) and Sword Saint. I spent ages trying to beat Owl Father part 1, before realizing that you can back step through one of his lunges, at which point he became easy. Sword Saint sucks, so I ended up cheesing his final 2 stages using red eyes + rice and red eyes + rice ball. Owl Father 2 has never been terribly hard for me. His attacks are easy to avoid and there are tons of pillars you can hide behind to heal. The other benefit of NG+ and beyond is that Resurrection items are plentiful, which makes many of the boss fights much more forgiving.

That said, some of the mini bosses are wickedly difficult (Especially the spear generals). I beat them all, with some difficulty, save for that final ninja boss (Ashina Elite - Ujinari Mizuo) that appears in the basement dojo under Ishin Ashina's house once Ashina is on fire.
Those Ashina Elites are my favorite minibosses. Just double click when their sword glows and you get deflections. It's over in a matter of seconds but very intense. Plus the music in the background.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

What is the point of NG+/NG++ on Sekiro? There are no unique weapons like MLGS or unique spells like Great Chaos fireball to adquire like DkS 2, no new enemies ,is same katana swinging guy fighting enemies with much cooler weapons unable to obtain cooler weapons...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom