Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Archmage Rises - the play-how-you-want mage simulator - now available on Early Access

ArchAngel

Arcane
The last progress video is just going to be his wife with a bloody knife in her hand admitting she killed him for spending all their savings on this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

http://www.archmagerises.com/news/2019/7/21/update-99-generating-believable-3d-dungeons-with-ai

This week’s update is the presentation I gave at CGDC in Portland, OR Jul 18 2019. I dive into the unique design constraints of Archmage Rise’s procedural dungeons, the prototypes and processes attempting to meet those requirements, and how, now, the technology differs from other algorithms of the past.

I finished the talk with a live demo, which didn’t work very well and didn’t record, so this video contains just the presentation itself.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

http://www.archmagerises.com/news/2019/8/10/update-100-the-studio

In this special 100th episode I’m joined by Neil of Pixel Light Games. Today I reveal some of the bigger things that have been in the works since April and how the hiring of Daniel fits into a larger plan.

In the Jan 2019 update I stated 9,500 programming hours have gone into Archmage Rises. With this new plan we will be able to work 4,400 programming hours from Sep 1 2019 to Aug 31 2020. About 50% of the total effort to date, will go into finishing.

This, my friends, is what I mean by Sprint to the Finish Line.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

http://www.archmagerises.com/news/2019/8/23/update-101-better-dungeons-amp-alienfx

Daniel has been working hard to finish up his last full-time week. Tomorrow at 5am he flies back to Florida for his final year of Computer Science. Before leaving he finished implementing AlienFx lighting into the game. We tried to think of innovative ways to tie the lighting system into the players actions and game environment. We think it’s pretty cool for those with the hardware to enjoy it. Why did we implement it now? Because for 5 years my Alienware rep has been politely asking when we would implement this feature, presumably so they can brag about the game.

I have been busy working on heuristic algorithms to make the dungeons fun. Placement of locked doors, levers, monsters, all in smart interesting places that make sense.

Here is an example debug output from the dungeon structure generator:

dungeon+plan.JPG

• Start - Purple Outline and labeled “start”

• Goal (final room or stairs to next level) - pink outline (#17)

• Green Outline - critical path between Start and Goal

• Red outline - It’s a trap!

• Red dot - patrol of monsters

• Colored door - requires a key or lever to open

• Colored room - the corresponding location of the key or lever to open the door
The algorithm favors placing keys in dead ends (1 door rooms, labelled 1d) and far from the door. It was really bugging me when, randomly, the key would be placed in the room adjoining where you needed it. Euclidean geometry and A* pathfinding for the win!

Monsters are placed in smart-ish locations, like to guard a key (#10, #12, #1).

Daniel and I think it will be really fun, much better than what we had before. We’re nearing the end of working on dungeons and I think it has really been worth it!

If anyone is interested, this is a really easy to use C# A* pathfinding algorithm (which i had to debug and add features to):

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/5758/Path-finding-in-C

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Work, minions:

The team grows again! Long time fan and recent Computer Science graduate, this week Michel moved from Michigan to Canada and is now working full time on the game.

Michel is still getting his bearings, but he is actively working on finishing up the dungeons.

Not mentioned in the video, but also this week Daniel improved performance of the Mage Tower screen by 100x.

Things are starting to move quicker!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

ntonystinson

Scholar

http://www.archmagerises.com/news/2019/10/5/update-103-dungeon-walkthrough

This week I share some of the team’s great work bringing the dungeons closer to completion. Inspired by Nic’s constant nagging, I fire up a dungeon and start wandering around pointing out gameplay changes. We finish with some examples of “themed rooms” by our newest member and 3d modeller, Emily Adams!

Sounds bored playing through his own game, even skipping the battles. On another note why are RPGs so obsessed with dungeons? Feel like more time shpsho be put into the role play bits and the overworld

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This week I share some of the team’s great work bringing the dungeons closer to completion. Inspired by Nic’s constant nagging, I fire up a dungeon and start wandering around pointing out gameplay changes. We finish with some examples of “themed rooms” by our newest member and 3d modeller, Emily Adams!

Sounds bored playing through his own game, even skipping the battles. On another note why are RPGs so obsessed with dungeons? Feel like more time shpsho be put into the role play bits and the overworld

dungeon are great if implemented well. fun, twisting paths with danger, traps, puzzles and good loot. too bad most RPG have shit dungeons

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
I wish the developers would ask themselves "Where is the gameplay".

"Dungeons" where you click stuff and a bunch of dice rolls for traps does not constitute gameplay.
They didn't need to make "3D Dungeons" to figure that out. They were a clear mistake from the moment they were introduced.
Tabletop Mechanics do not work in a computer game, you do not have the other players, you do not have the GM to cut through the bullshit and keep things sane.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Weren't they in financial troubles not so long ago?
Where does he get the money now to hire all these extra people?

ntonystinson

Scholar

dungeon are great if implemented well. fun, twisting paths with danger, traps, puzzles and good loot. too bad most RPG have shit dungeons

Mount and Blade Warband to my knowledge has no dungeons yet still one of the most enjoyable RPGs around. Why are RPGs so obsessed with dungeons. Even Stardew Valley the "Farming" RPG felt the need to include a dungeon that is totally disconnected from the Rest of the game

ntonystinson

Scholar
Fuck, people complaining about dungeon in an RPG.
No dungeons in Disco Elysium or KCD Don't think they suffered as a result
Edit: these are just random games that cropped up in my mind

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom