Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Efe

Erudite
yes.
you can already create custom companions. getting 1 for free from side campaign shouldnt be a shocker.

Codex Year of the Donut
i did, just didnt play main campaign attached to it yet and it seemed to me charname would be recoverable as companion
You expected your completely custom PC from a stand-alone portion of the game to be recoverable and recruitable as a full CNPC in the main campaign?
Depending on your choices, they are recoverable. They spend the rest of the game sitting in your town's tavern.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
yes.
you can already create custom companions. getting 1 for free from side campaign shouldnt be a shocker.
You don't at all see how that'd stand out as something incredibly awkward in terms of design, a full CNPC that'd be completely mute, identical to a mercenary PC? You might just as well just create a mercenary, then.
i did, just didnt play main campaign attached to it yet and it seemed to me charname would be recoverable as companion
You expected your completely custom PC from a stand-alone portion of the game to be recoverable and recruitable as a full CNPC in the main campaign?
Depending on your choices, they are recoverable. They spend the rest of the game sitting in your town's tavern.
I know.

Efe

Erudite
not really. you millenials cant do without larping i guess.
it doesnt have to be %100 mute. he can have some lines to remind choice you made and further explain what happened during side campaign.

you make this sound overly complicated.
whats happened in varnhold is already tracked in save and they dont need furher quests or triggers .
and if what rusty says is true, they already join you, not a big leap to enlist them from there.

Lambach

Arcane
It's the Enhanced Edition and the XP rewards are still completely fucked up from the Barbarian chapter and probably onward. I just got 61k for clicking on a single [Intimidate] option. That's like ~40 goddamn Astradaemons worth of XP. For one click.

It's pretty jarring to see your XP bar sloooooowly creeping upwards as you're crawling through dungeons infested with traps, level-draining enemies, enemies that often crit for 120+ damage and god knows what else, only to have the bar suddenly fill up by 2/3rds just from one click.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
It's the Enhanced Edition and the XP rewards are still completely fucked up from the Barbarian chapter and probably onward. I just got 61k for clicking on a single [Intimidate] option. That's like ~40 goddamn Astradaemons worth of XP. For one click.

It's pretty jarring to see your XP bar sloooooowly creeping upwards as you're crawling through dungeons infested with traps, level-draining enemies, enemies that often crit for 120+ damage and god knows what else, only to have the bar suddenly fill up by 2/3rds just from one click.

Is it possible that it was handled like that in the P&P version and Owlcat just copied experience gain from there directly?

Shadenuat

Arcane
People didn't like that if you complete everything you end up more or less exactly like in PnP (level 17 or so) so they added more XP because people asked for more XP.

Lambach

Arcane
People didn't like that if you complete everything you end up more or less exactly like in PnP (level 17 or so) so they added more XP because people asked for more XP.

I'm pretty sure it was like that from the start, the XP you got from Persuasion/Intimidate checks later in the game was absolutely ridiculous and more-or-less invalidated the rewards from optional enemy encounters and many side quests. For example, the ghostly wizard dude in Pitax castle is definitively one of the most difficult fights in the game and your reward for it is under 3k XP and some +2 Quarterstaff or something. Compare that to a single click on [Persuade] that nets you 40-60k. You'd think such a glaring flaw would've been addressed after almost a year of patching.

Shadenuat

Arcane
yeah I wonder what their thinking with this was. Game is no Planescape, rewards should be more or less equal across different challenges.
I doubt pnp module has something like this or it is a system issue.

some random googling (because pnp books are full of everything but answers to super obvious questions) gave me this

Story Awards: Feel free to award Story Awards when
players conclude a major storyline or make an important
accomplishment. These awards should be worth double
the amount of experience points for a CR equal to the APL.
Particularly long or difficult story arcs might award even
more, at your discretion as GM.

Last edited:

Rules Lawyer

Literate
it doesnt have to be %100 mute. he can have some lines to remind choice you made and further explain what happened during side campaign.

you make this sound overly complicated.
whats happened in varnhold is already tracked in save and they dont need furher quests or triggers .
and if what rusty says is true, they already join you, not a big leap to enlist them from there.

Angry middle aged guys unite!

Wait. I'm not angry about this. But, it's probably some millennial's fault anyway. :mixedemotions:

ArchAngel

Arcane
PnP does not have the extra content in the form of the battle vs Lantern King. You are not level 20 by the time that happens, at best you are lvl 18 if you did the whole game with a full party. And those that didn't min max or save scum their skill checks are even less.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You now probably can be however higher level during pnp stuff than supposed to.

And honestly, 18 level is more than enough to beat the fireball.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
PnP does not have the extra content in the form of the battle vs Lantern King. You are not level 20 by the time that happens, at best you are lvl 18 if you did the whole game with a full party. And those that didn't min max or save scum their skill checks are even less.

Well, you can be level 20 at early Pitax - in full party - if you use the "Only skill user gets experience from skills" and have high buffed Persuasion (best in party after buffs, anyway).

Other characters will catch on eventually, as after they temporarily leave the party roster, they xp match the main char after rejoining. All leave the roster at the beginning of HatEoT, some also do that sooner (like Reg during his personal quest).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well, you can be level 20 at early Pitax - in full party - if you use the "Only skill user gets experience from skills" and have high buffed Persuasion (best in party after buffs, anyway).

I only reached lv 18, almost 19 on end game playing with an small party(3 party members - no xp share( but was one year ago. I don't know if they changed the XP on DLC's, but with DLC's, i think that is possible to reach lv cap in OC.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Other characters will catch on eventually, as after they temporarily leave the party roster, they xp match the main char after rejoining. All leave the roster at the beginning of HatEoT, some also do that sooner (like Reg during his personal quest).
Well I did say full party. Any of these XP sharing shenanigans are not what I call a full party. That is same like reducing your party to less than 6 and not sharing XP to get more and level up faster.

Last edited:

Ainamacar

Educated
Finished a full run, including DLC, a few days ago where the party hit level 19 on entering the House, and then 20 just before the end.
Killed the Forefather after lifting the Lantern King's curse and everyone dinged, so I decided to rest before the final push.
I never let Jaethal or Nok Nok join, and banished Tristian, so I missed some companion XP, but was otherwise quite efficient.

Unless you're playing with a smaller party (using the appropriate option) or stacking skill XP, I don't think any character will spend enough time at level 20 for it to really matter.

Ainamacar

Educated
Also, quality-of-life with the Monk's Sensei archetype is pretty high now that Mystic Powers/Wisdom actually do something. Full party Barkskin, Fast Movement, Evasion, and immunity to disease for 10 min/level is ridiculously nice, especially in large dungeons like the House. (It's unclear to me whether the long duration is intended: in PnP these shared effects are much more ephemeral. Fast Movement and Evasion seem to ignore armor restrictions, which might not be intended either.) Mass Restoration and Mass True Strike have their moments, and I enjoyed not bothering with amulets of natural armor. Mass Sudden Speed pumps party movement to something like 130, which is amazing in certain fights or for crossing maps. At the moment, however, Mass Diamond Soul seems to give Mass Diamond Body (reported), so in a future patch the Sensei could save even more spell slots.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It has nothing to do with LARPing, it's a question of consistency, which is something millennials are terrible at, because they think they can just throw their OC DONUT STEEL into things and expect it to mesh with existing content. I'd be fine with near-mutes if all of the CNPCs were near-mutes - after all, I still consider BG1 one of the best IE games, and part of the reason is that it had a wealth of CNPCs, even though they had very little dialogue.

But having such a character when all the others aren't the same is Beamdog-level dogshit.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, you pretty much end up hitting 17 not too long before the final encounter in the PnP (same in most PF APs).

I guess Owlcat listened to the people whining that they didn't hit the level cap, even though hitting level 20 is something that happens extremely rarely in Pathfinder.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Wonder what to make for the party in Varnhold's Lot. Decided on Paladin 2/Sorcerer 3/Dragon Disciple but I've got no idea what to do for the rest since I've got two fixed allies.
FYI, Maegar Varn kinda sucks. I gave him a bow and kept him as far away from the front line as possible.
I hate when the story doesn't match the gameplay, he should have been a competent fighter or something, he's praised a few times in the game as being a good fighter(Is it Armag that mentions him? Maybe another important barbarian?)
I thought he worked pretty well as a melee rogue, but yes, it was a real curveball to me that he was a straight rogue. I was expecting Fighter, too, or possibly Rogue/Fighter.

Make him Rogue 5/Vanguard x so you get outflank at lvl 7 and can share it with the summons. He gets a keen sword early to trigger AoO often. Timing of Studied Target -> charge works well for Rogues.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The DLCs of this game is generally very disappointing. It's one of the few games that I actually regret buying a season pass.

Stack some perception to see the other half of the DLC that you’re missing. Also think about how that dog got into the keep.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Also, quality-of-life with the Monk's Sensei archetype is pretty high now that Mystic Powers/Wisdom actually do something. Full party Barkskin, Fast Movement, Evasion, and immunity to disease for 10 min/level is ridiculously nice, especially in large dungeons like the House. (It's unclear to me whether the long duration is intended: in PnP these shared effects are much more ephemeral. Fast Movement and Evasion seem to ignore armor restrictions, which might not be intended either.) Mass Restoration and Mass True Strike have their moments, and I enjoyed not bothering with amulets of natural armor. Mass Sudden Speed pumps party movement to something like 130, which is amazing in certain fights or for crossing maps. At the moment, however, Mass Diamond Soul seems to give Mass Diamond Body (reported), so in a future patch the Sensei could save even more spell slots.
Only question is how to make Sensei themselves survive and do damage

Shadenuat

Arcane
Update 2.0.6 - July 22, 2019
22 JUL @ 4:27PM - WOODEN_DRAGON
We have analyzed the latest reported crashes and concluded that in most cases the problem is connected to the capes’ physics. The issue is tricky, as we are unable to recreate it on the testing machines yet. Thus, we do not have estimates for the solid fix. Meanwhile, we added an option to disable the cloth physics. We recommend trying this option for those of pathfinders who experience problems with game crashes.

Please be aware of plot spoilers in the description below.

• In the Capital Inn, in some circumstances, players could meet Jubilost and start a dialogue related to The Door to Nowhere quest ahead of time. Resolution: fixed.
  • After players have explored the Blackstones Ford map, they can stay in that area to collect the loot and exit when they feel like it.
  • After a player starts investigating the Season of Bloom quest line and talks to Kesten, the Second Breath quest fails if it was not completed before.
  • During the first romance scene with Kanerah, her sister Kalikke could be present in the room. Resolution: fixed.
  • At the House at the Edge of Time, in rare cases Jaethal could be missing, thus making it impossible to save her and Tristian from Nyrissa. Resolution: fixed. However, the saved games with this issue cannot be fixed. The solution is to load the saved game before the cutscene with Nyrissa, Tristian, and Jaethal.
  • Fixed an issue when the dialogue with the mite failed to start in the Turncoats quest (Linzi’s second quest).
  • Once again fixed the issue when the mercenary advisors sometimes failed to resolve kingdom events.
  • The Letter from Jamandi Aldori kingdom event failed to complete if the baron did not appear in the Throne Room after the letter arrived and before The Lost Relic quest has been completed. Resolution: fixed.
  • Fixed the issue when the kingdom event related to the Economy rank increase failed to activate.
  • After killing Tartuccio in the Old Sycamore dungeon, sometimes the player could not exit the room where the fight occurred. Resolution: fixed. The saved games with this issue have been fixed as well.
  • In the Capital Square, the character could sometimes get stuck in the Palace. Resolution: fixed.
  • In DLC 2, in the Cultists' Shrine, when you exit to the Global Map and load an autosave to get back to the cave, the exit icon could disappear. Resolution: fixed. The saved games with this issue have been fixed as well.
  • When finishing Chapter 6, players without DLC 1 (The Wildcards) encountered an empty page about Kalikke and Kanerah in Epilogues. Resolution: fixed.
  • The Bomber's Eye spell didn't work. Resolution: fixed.
  • The Legendary Proportions spell had an incorrect type of bonus to AC. Resolution: fixed.
  • Flaming Burst Adamantine Dwarven Urgrosh +3 and Lycanthrope Bane Disruption Club +3 did not have Disruption. Resolution: fixed.
  • Skin of the Rough Beast had incorrect sounds, ability visuals and an ability, which affected not only enemies. Resolution: fixed.
  • Ring of Circumstances now correctly resumes to give its bonuses after resting.
  • Briar did not have the information on game mechanics. Resolution: fixed.
  • Gyronna's Amulet had an incomplete description. Resolution: fixed.
  • In the standalone version in DLC 3, Stone to Flesh scrolls have been added to the Dragon’s goods.
  • The Judgemental Gaze headgear gave a bonus to Intelligence instead of Wisdom. Resolution: fixed.
  • Boggards’ idle animation start has been randomized.
  • When you right-click the class in the level up / character generation interface, the feature progression was displayed incorrectly falling behind by one level. Resolution: fixed.
  • An option to disable the cloth physics has been added.
  • Our heartfelt thanks to our backers and the epileptic seizure warning have been brought back to the Russian version.
  • The soundtrack is updated. Added two new themes to the DLC Varnhold's Lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom