Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Makes sense. Fantasy was the missing genre in their portfolio. Well let's hope this won't be more generic DOTA/Warcraft/LoL crap.

eXalted

Arcane
Started playing Long War 2 for the first time. Damn, I love the guerilla warfare feel of it, compared to the "Power Rangers on a Helicarrier" feel of WotC.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I played wotc once and then installed LW2 again. Too bad lw2 does not work on superior engine of wotc.
There is some attempt to port lw2 into it but it is in early alpha.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I never bought WotC and only have played LW2, is there any reason to get WoTC? Everything I have read seems to point to Lw2 being superior.
If you just want to have casual fun and blow shit up with Superheroes then get WotC. It completely changes the game, it is no longer your standard Xcom formula, it is now a superhero fantasy show.

It is also the most unfair business decision since loot boxes. Xcom 2 vanilla was released buggy and unfinished and borderline broken. Expansion brings many fixes to the engine, optimizations and stuff but none of that is for Xcom 2 vanilla.
You have to buy the superhero shit along with engine fixes. I would suggest you avoid giving money to Firaxis and fund such shitty business practice.

Mazisky

Magister
I can forgive the superhero stuff when i have a long single player campaign, lot of fun, tons of maps, very good graphics, awesome soundtrack, lot of classes, lot of enemies, lot of abilities, lot of different missions. It's an excellent single player strategy experience.

mastroego

Arcane
I had lots of fun with that as well (heavily modded Wotc of course).

Though I am again playing through Long War 1 - overhauled with the Long War Rebalance "ModMod" (which is a pretty radical rebalance plus fixes, new features, Ease of Use additions and so on).

Mazisky

Magister
I wish they will announce Xcom 3 this year. They are working on it since 2017, a late 2019 announce with 2020 release seems likeable.

Zeriel

Arcane
I hope they go back to the classic XCOM feel with it, I think I'm off the train if not. 2 had its interesting bits but in practice the ways it departed from the original formula really illustrated how much of that original formula was what made XCOM so magical. I'm mostly talking about setting stuff here since the first one of course departed from the DOS games a lot too, but just losing that incongrous sense of "aliens in ordinary/pastoral setting" was a big deal. Probably didn't help that XCOM 2 has a grand total of *1* UFO mission, which is set to trigger and then populate very late in the campaign.

It also used scripted missions a lot more extensively than the first one, which I think didn't help matters. I'm sure that made it play better for press/reviewers, but I far preferred the vague gestures at a systemic game they managed in 1, even if that was flawed compared to the DOS versions. 1 basically only had the alien base + final track as feeling very scripted and on rails, that feeling is more present throughout all of 2.

okay, thanks those are helpful responses actually. I much prefer the 'down to earth' guerilla soldier feel. In fact I would like it to be even more like that really, so WoTC would defiantly not be my kind of thing.

The reason I asked at all was because I had not played in awhile so I went to the workshop to look at any new mods I might add to my LW2 game but every single MOD seems to need WoTC. But its pointless to get WoTC if I am only going to play LW2 since they are not compatible.

But I had been having fun and making progress in LW2 previously--although I don't think I had come anywhere near to finishing it. I had stopped playing for awhile thinking the LW2 modders might somehow merge WoTc with Lw2 at some point, but it does not seem like its going to happen, so I think I am going to go ahead and start playing it again.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
okay, thanks those are helpful responses actually. I much prefer the 'down to earth' guerilla soldier feel. In fact I would like it to be even more like that really, so WoTC would defiantly not be my kind of thing.

The reason I asked at all was because I had not played in awhile so I went to the workshop to look at any new mods I might add to my LW2 game but every single MOD seems to need WoTC. But its pointless to get WoTC if I am only going to play LW2 since they are not compatible.

But I had been having fun and making progress in LW2 previously--although I don't think I had come anywhere near to finishing it. I had stopped playing for awhile thinking the LW2 modders might somehow merge WoTc with Lw2 at some point, but it does not seem like its going to happen, so I think I am going to go ahead and start playing it again.
There is a modder that is trying to do that but that mod is very far away from being finished.
And once Phoenix Point is released it might not even matter.

Mazisky

Magister
I hope they go back to the classic XCOM feel with it, I think I'm off the train if not. 2 had its interesting bits but in practice the ways it departed from the original formula really illustrated how much of that original formula was what made XCOM so magical. I'm mostly talking about setting stuff here since the first one of course departed from the DOS games a lot too, but just losing that incongrous sense of "aliens in ordinary/pastoral setting" was a big deal. Probably didn't help that XCOM 2 has a grand total of *1* UFO mission, which is set to trigger and then populate very late in the campaign.

It also used scripted missions a lot more extensively than the first one, which I think didn't help matters. I'm sure that made it play better for press/reviewers, but I far preferred the vague gestures at a systemic game they managed in 1, even if that was flawed compared to the DOS versions. 1 basically only had the alien base + final track as feeling very scripted and on rails, that feeling is more present throughout all of 2.

I agree with that, the overal mood and theme was the weakest point of Xcom 2 imho. I would prefere a return to the horror vibe and the hitech organization vs alien invasion.

eXalted

Arcane
Actually there are quite a lot LW2 compatible mods.

You can check the mods that I currently play with - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1812065953 .

Mostly quality of life mods, as close to vanilla LW2 feel as possible. No custom classes and other shit. Some good map mods too. No Armor Cosmetics and Voicesets included.

Perkel

Arcane
Imho they should go for apocalypse like design.
Paying for destroyed buildings, human organizations working for aliens etc.
I always liked that game and loved concept.

There is a modder that is trying to do that but that mod is very far away from being finished.
And once Phoenix Point is released it might not even matter.
that is the other thing I am thinking too, that PHX point will make it moot.

o
Actually there are quite a lot LW2 compatible mods.

You can check the mods that I currently play with - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1812065953 .

Mostly quality of life mods, as close to vanilla LW2 feel as possible. No custom classes and other shit. Some good map mods too. No Armor Cosmetics and Voicesets included.
oh I have a lot of mods. I was just checking the most popular mods released in the last 6 months list and noticing those in particular all seemed to be made for WoTC . I have like 50 mods added to my Lw2 game at least, most are just visual or quality of life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom