Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail: Expedition Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail; Underrail: Expedition

The Underrail: Expedition expansion is finally out today. It's been almost three years since it was announced, but right now in the middle of this dull summer it feels like the release couldn't have been timed more perfectly. There's not much to say that hasn't been said already, so without further ado here's an excerpt from the release announcement:

16816.png

After more than three years of development, it is finally complete.

Whereas the base game began as a one man undertaking and slowly grew from there as people joined the team and steadily settled into their multidisciplinary positions to form the current core team of four, which gives it a recognizable progress of content quality and design; the Expedition is, from start to finish, the work of this, now more experience and skilled team, laid upon a more solid design foundations.

For those who haven't been following the development: Expedition DLC features a huge underground lake on which a secondary campaign takes place. This campaign becomes accessible during the normal course of the play sometime during the mid-game. Here is a more detailed list of features:
  • Around 250 new areas
  • Leveling character past level 25, up to level 30
  • Ability to ride and upgrade many different jet skis that vary by speed, defense, firepower and utility
  • Three new weapon classes - spears, swords, and shotguns; all of these can be crafted and there are also special unique ones
  • New psi school: Temporal Manipulation
  • Just under 80 new feats, some of which are special new veteran feats that get unlocked beginning with level 26
  • Specializations - a new way to improve your character; starting with level 16, a character will gain one specialization point that they can use to improve their feats along one or multiple dimensions
  • New consumables, tools, blueprints, and more
We all put a lot of effort into this huge expansion, and each member of the team really poured his heart out into it, in his own way – through visual, narrative or mechanical aspects, to make sure it's not only big, but also a recognizable labor of love. And because it's often the case that people think that Underrail is till a one man operation, I'll use this opportunity to familiarize you with the Stygian Software core team:
  • Dejan "Styg" Radišić (myself) - lead developer, programming, overral lore and themes, some writing, a bit of everything
  • Stefan "Phrygian Dominant" Čupović - level and quest design, writing
  • Mario "Mac" Tovirac - 2d & 3d art, various design work
  • Nikola "Johnny" Petrović - 3d art, mostly character and creature models
I also want to thank our dedicated fans that helped us thoroughly test the game for bugs and imbalances, as well as build up and maintain useful player resources (wiki, character build tool). Though you come at a price of occasionally having to read through your uncalled for suggestions and complaints, I must admit that all this would be much more difficulty without you.

Once the dust settles, I might do a more detailed piece about my thoughts on the Expedition development – what we did wrong and what we did right. I'll also talk more about our future plans then.​

The Expedition DLC is available now for $10 on Steam or GOG. If you somehow never got around to buying the Underrail base game, you can now get it together with Expedition for $20, which is a $5 discount. A new version of the game has been released alongside the DLC with a few additional changes that didn't make it into the beta update earlier this month. The details about that are available in the full announcement post.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Played some Underrail awhile ago and then saw the expansion was going to be out soon so I decided to wait. Two Three years later I guess I will give it a go.

Gwendo

Augur
I think I'm going to try it again.

The first time, I couldn't hit those bugs no matter how much I tried and got sick of it. I hate combat where most of the time you miss.

Also, at the time it looked like a game where you really had to choose very wisely your initial stats or be screwed later and have to restart. And since there was no way to know that in advance, I skipped the game. I hate to start a game and have to make decisions in character generation which I have no way of knowing what will be useful in the game or not. If I have to dump all points in a single stat to not completely suck or if I should divide wisely among a few key stats. Having to take thse kind of decisions knowing that later I might have to restart and choose again, demotivated me.

By now, the internet should have more info about the game and good build templates or at least a small guide that points me in the right direction.

Trashos

Arcane
I think I'm going to try it again.

The first time, I couldn't hit those bugs no matter how much I tried and got sick of it. I hate combat where most of the time you miss.

Also, at the time it looked like a game where you really had to choose very wisely your initial stats or be screwed later and have to restart. And since there was no way to know that in advance, I skipped the game. I hate to start a game and have to make decisions in character generation which I have no way of knowing what will be useful in the game or not. If I have to dump all points in a single stat to not completely suck or if I should divide wisely among a few key stats. Having to take thse kind of decisions knowing that later I might have to restart and choose again, demotivated me.

By now, the internet should have more info about the game and good build templates or at least a small guide that points me in the right direction.

Yeah, Underrail is partially about trying out builds and improving on them by restarting. This is intended, and many people find it fun (especially because it is so satisfying when you eventually nail the build). You should definitely go all in on your primary weapon choice. Always invest in it to the max.

But no worries, you are right that by now the internet is full of well-researched Underrail builds. Pick one and go!

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
it's too damn cheap and i feel kinda guilty

You could just buy a copy for a couple of friends, or buy the bundle for someone. I bought an extra copy for someone myself and know I'll get more than my money worth (and hopefully many more titles from Stygian Software in the future).

flabbyjack

Arcane
Holy shit $8?!? What, am I made of money!?!? Nah just kidding. I would have bought it if it was $30

Styg, art should be priced at what it is worth! This is the best computer RPG of the last decade... except Witcher 3 and Divinity 2.

Last edited:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Been looking forward to this for ages. Can not wait to find out what happens to Sans, Toriel and the Gang after joining the Human world!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom