Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

“Laid off” generally implies that they were let go due to financial constraints, not due to performance or behavioral problems.

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
LOL, the game is a pure disaster, if they were let go ... the kind phrase, its because this moronic game was one pile of shit from start to finish, if it was a massive success, they would still be on the team ... now go back and bury your head in the sand, fucwitt.

Stop so being naive and White Knighting, people ... Trolls like you make me angry Simmons, you feel sorry for game developers but wont support them.

Get lost troll face.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
He stated a fact.

There is termination for cause (poor performance, conduct) and termination without cause (anything not the principal responsibility of the employee). Terms and laws vary by country, state/province, etc.

In this case, the reason is probably termination of the project or something related to finance. What you are anyone else thinks of their work is irrelevent.

Glic2000

Educated
Did anyone ever get one of those plastic figurines high-level backers paid for? They showed off some 3D renderings of them but I never saw the final product.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Did anyone ever get one of those plastic figurines high-level backers paid for? They showed off some 3D renderings of them but I never saw the final product.

She says they are ready.

" I’m also crossing my fingers that I’ll be able to finish the DVD and Game Manual by the time the Mac and Linux ports are available, since those versions will be printed on the physical discs, depending on what you selected for your reward. ALL the other physical goods are done / waiting to be printed."

https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/july-8-2019-weekly-update-ps4-xbox-one-hotfix-ks-update/10118

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/july-22-2019-weekly-update/10128

Afternoon everyone! Short but sweet:

This week, we’re finishing up work on Mac/Linux and continuing to work on PS4 and Xbox hotfix changes. We’re still monitoring bugs for the latter two platforms.

In addition to this, I’m working on the manual as quickly as possible and finishing up the Making Of DVD, which are two of the biggest final KS items that I need to complete before we can start shipping the physical editions.

As a reference, here’s last week’s post: https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/july-15-2019-weekly-update/10126

the Making Of DVD

:shredder:

Efe

Erudite
i hope lobar watches the making-of video. he could catch a lot of their lies there.

Glic2000

Educated
I picture the making of video as a single developer in a dusty office, poking around with physics in Unity for the better part of a year. Occasionally he sets something on fire and smiles. Sometimes a tumbleweed rolls by.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
I suspect that the community manager has been fired already (or at least got the message) and is just doing the remaining kickstarter stuff before saying goodbye. She's probably out on August 1.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Sounds like they've learned from their mistakes for their next project:

Untitled.png

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Can I just say that the existence of this game still fucking infuriates me. Just how the fuck did these people manage to ship such a fucking abortion of a game? HOW?????

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
This doesn't make any sense. They are developing SS3 without a publisher and they are financially in trouble to the point that they have to fire someone like Chris Siegel.

But they are still starting a brand new project on a green field with no publisher or funding and assigned what sounds like at least a handful of people to that project.

Shouldn't those guys work on SS3 to finally push a game out the door that's actually selling so they have some food on the table?

I think Infinitron was spot on here:

My take is that they're utterly convinced that they should never reveal the truth about what they're doing, and the "confusion" arises because different people in the company come up with different versions of bullshit when fans ask questions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My take on OtherSide's finances is that they have some sort of small but dependable revenue stream. Like maybe Paul Neurath owns some real estate properties that he earns rent on. They certainly act like they can afford to continue indefinitely with a skeleton crew. That's why Sam talks about how it would "extend our development cycle by quite a bit" if they don't get a publisher, instead of them having to cancel the game and shut down like any other developer would.

Last edited:

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Paul Neurath's real estate pays for the entire Boston office, the entire Austin office, and the monthly repayments to Starbreeze?

Two teams of game developers, two offices in major cities and probably ~200k to starbreeze per month?

And given how they were dancing around fixing those UA bugs and creating a console version for six months, I don't think they can ever finish SS3 with a skeleton grew, let alone do another project simultaneously.

And if they go on with a skeleton crew, we'd have to see at least a dozen more layoffs, and even with a skeleton crew, they'd still have a large bill for the office space etc.

What Sam is saying simply doesn't make sense. The numbers don't add up.

I stand by my prediction that OS will shut down in the next few weeks, probably by end of August.

Nyast

Cipher
The game is now good, didn't you get the memo ? 75% of positive opinions thanks to 12 reviews in the past month on Steam.

About their finances, remember they just released the game on PS4/Xbox. Console gamers are unlikely to purchase the game by doing some deep research on PC ( hell, most might not even know it got released on PC 6 months ago already ) and gave the game a chance. From the screenshots and descriptions you can't guess it was a trainwreck. So my bet is on the console sales doing okay. That's probably enough to buy them some time for a few more months.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I suspect that the community manager has been fired already (or at least got the message) and is just doing the remaining kickstarter stuff before saying goodbye. She's probably out on August 1.

It also sounds like - a community manager - is fulfilling a lot of the high tier backer rewards, writing the manual, having physical media done, releasing linux and mac builds and other seemingly way, way way above the pay-grade things.

Viata

Arcane

It also sounds like - a community manager - is fulfilling a lot of the high tier backer rewards, writing the manual, having physical media done, releasing linux and mac builds and other seemingly way, way way above the pay-grade things.
Some people take their job too serious.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
About their finances, remember they just released the game on PS4/Xbox. Console gamers are unlikely to purchase the game by doing some deep research on PC ( hell, most might not even know it got released on PC 6 months ago already ) and gave the game a chance. From the screenshots and descriptions you can't guess it was a trainwreck. So my bet is on the console sales doing okay. That's probably enough to buy them some time for a few more months.

I doubt that the console version is even a moderate seller.

It has 17 reviews with 2.5 stars for PS4:

https://store.playstation.com/de-de/product/EP4040-CUSA15003_00-0000000000000000?smcid=psblog:en:page-name::Underworld Ascendant

For Xbox, it's also only 13 reviews, 2.5 stars:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/underworld-ascendant/9mzg29lrcck0?activetab=pivot:reviewstab

There are studies that say on Steam 1 review equals about 70 copies sold (was discussed in this thread recently). It might be higher for console, but even if it is A LOT higher, like 1 review for 200-300 copies sold, the game is still selling very poorly.

And even if sales were better, remember that all revenues from UA go to 505 until they recoup their investment plus a margin. The CM revealed recently that UA's budget was $5-6 million, so 505 likely buried at least $2 million in this game.

How many copies would the game have to sell for total sales to be above $2 million + x%, after refunds, discounts and Steam/PS4/Xbox fees?

Probably north of 100,000 copies. It is safe to say that they have not reached that number (PC and console combined).

Otherside
isn't going to make any money any time soon.

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
I never thought I'd say it, but ... I do not want System Shock 3 to be released, at least not by these clowns or related to them in any way whatsoever, would rather have no SS3 and that's the god dam truth.

Nyast

Cipher

I doubt that the console version is even a moderate seller.

It has 17 reviews with 2.5 stars for PS4:

https://store.playstation.com/de-de/product/EP4040-CUSA15003_00-0000000000000000?smcid=psblog:en:page-name::Underworld Ascendant

For Xbox, it's also only 13 reviews, 2.5 stars:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/underworld-ascendant/9mzg29lrcck0?activetab=pivot:reviewstab

There are studies that say on Steam 1 review equals about 70 copies sold (was discussed in this thread recently). It might be higher for console, but even if it is A LOT higher, like 1 review for 200-300 copies sold, the game is still selling very poorly.

And even if sales were better, remember that all revenues from UA go to 505 until they recoup their investment plus a margin. The CM revealed recently that UA's budget was $5-6 million, so 505 likely buried at least $2 million in this game.

How many copies would the game have to sell for total sales to be above $2 million + x%, after refunds, discounts and Steam/PS4/Xbox fees?

Probably north of 100,000 copies. It is safe to say that they have not reached that number (PC and console combined).

Otherside
isn't going to make any money any time soon.

That's why I said "for a few more months". Also, I'm not sure you can extrapolate the reviews ratio to sales on the console stores. Are they even able to rate the game and leave a review when they're on a console ? It sounds like to me they'd have to buy the game on console, but do the effort to log in to a PC to rate the game. That could explain a very low ratio.

I do agree they didn't sell 100K copies, not even close. But maybe 10-20K out of naive gamers ? doesn't sound impossible to me.

After all, the game *did* sell 10-15K copies on PC, despite all the warnings from the backers and the Steam forums being hell. Typically, console sales are x2-x3 of PC, and if the red alarms aren't visible on the console stores that ratio could be even higher.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom