Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst, most illogical quests

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
In Divine Divinity, Larian Studios' idea of a mystery quest was where you have to figure out who's been pissing in the sacramental wine in the church, though I thought it was kind of funny.

PsychoFox

Educated
The entire Baldur's Gate main quest.
Occult readings of the lines in my shit have delivered more coherent stories.
Tell us about those in Oblivion and Fallout 3 instead.
You seem to have enjoyed those.
They at least made sense. Perhaps you aren't able to appreciate English writing, foreign scum.
Why don't you tell us why the writing in Skyrim is comparatively superlative?

"I'm looking for my father, a middle aged man." Enough said.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But since you insist, and since everybody's IQ seems to be around room temperature...

>Daddy dearest claims the wasteland needs water, but when you get outside no one seems to give a shit. A lot of people seem to be just surviving just fine.
>It's been 200 years since the bombs fell, but Daddy dearest claims the wasteland needs clean water now. How did the wasteland survive for so long with no clean water, one of the most basic necessities for survival? The implication here is that the Capital Wasteland hasn't had clean water so far, hence why it needs now.

How do you think radiation works? How do the animals in Chernobyl survive? How do japs survive in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
Radiation causes mutations that signifanctly increase mortality, but demonstrably does not make it impossible to reproduce. But life would sure be a lot better without constant radiation.
Every 15 year old knows this.

https://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p919.htm

The dangers from drinking fallout contaminated water could be greatly lessened by using expedient settling and filtration methods to remove fallout particles and most of the dissolved radioactive material. Fortunately, in areas of heavy fallout, less than 2% of the radioactivity of the fallout particles contained in the water would become dissolved in water.

Filtering through earth removes essentially all of the fallout particles and more of the dissolved radioactive material than does boiling-water distillation, a generally impractical purification method that does not eliminate dangerous radioactive iodines. Earth filters are also more effective in removing radioactive iodines than are ordinary ion-exchange water softeners or charcoal filters. In areas of heavy fallout, about 99% of the radioactivity in water could be removed by filtering it through ordinary earth.

nw073.jpg

Yeah building a water filter 200 years after the war sure seems like the most necessary thing ever. There is no other way to filter water than to build a mega hightech water filter.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Not a "quest" as such, but I remember being infuriated by trying to clear rubble with explosive barrels in The Silver Seed (expansion for Ultima 7 Serpent Isle). The explosions were unreliable as hell and your asshole party kept stepping into the blast area.

Sadly after 20 years of playing RPGs with shitty writing and inane errands, I think am generally inured to pointless or stupid quests.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
But since you insist, and since everybody's IQ seems to be around room temperature...

>Daddy dearest claims the wasteland needs water, but when you get outside no one seems to give a shit. A lot of people seem to be just surviving just fine.
>It's been 200 years since the bombs fell, but Daddy dearest claims the wasteland needs clean water now. How did the wasteland survive for so long with no clean water, one of the most basic necessities for survival? The implication here is that the Capital Wasteland hasn't had clean water so far, hence why it needs now.

How do you think radiation works? How do the animals in Chernobyl survive? How do japs survive in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
Radiation causes mutations that signifanctly increase mortality, but demonstrably does not make it impossible to reproduce. But life would sure be a lot better without constant radiation.
Every 15 year old knows this.
---------------------------------
> Daddy dearest kills himself for no reason and the main villain somehow survives the murder attempt caused by this, even though he has no protective gear of any kind.

Daddy dearest thought he could kill the baddies by suicide-radiation-bombing. And it would have worked if Colonel Autumn didn't clearly inject himself with a high tech Enclave anti-rad syringe.
Your lack of attention to... I wouldn't even call it detail... painfully obvious animations happening directly in front of your face is bewildering.
>G.E.C.K is supposed to be an agriculture starter kit, not magic which is what basically is in Fallout 3.

Cry me a river. (1) this is sci fi, and (2) the Fallout 3 GECK doesn't even break the internal sci fi logic.
Fallout 3 takes place on the other end of a continent. This GECK is a superior iteration on the tech you saw in California. "Problem" solved.
You might conceptualize this through analogy as the Bugatti Veyron versus the Model T, or perhaps even more clearly, in the disparity between myself (a homo sapiens/neanderthal with hybrid vigor) versus you (a cro-magnon).
>The entire story is literally about two factions killing each other to press a button.

I never said the story was good. I said it was coherent, unlike Baldur's Gate. So by stating the plot so succinctly, you've only further proved my point.
>Enclave was thoroughly destroyed in Fallout 2, somehow comes back and they have a base in the East Coast.

Again, sci fi and internal logic. Vault Tech had hundreds of vaults. You really think it's bizarre that the US government would have multiple contingency plans? Hell, stationing the Enclave in DC makes even more sense than in cuckifornia.

The issue with Fallout 3 is that the people who bash it, including myself, have probably played it just once (if at all), and that was years ago.
First and last time I played Fallout 3 to completion was in 2014, right after Skyrim. It's hard to have an honest argument as a basher when your memories are so clouded. On the other hand I know New Vegas better than my dick, and a lot of people bashing Fallout 3 are parroting what some YouTubers have said in the past.

I'm trying not to be critical of games I haven't played in ages. But the one thing I do remember being :retarded: was Three Dog asking you to go to a place infested by Super Mutants just to collect a satellite dish so he would tell you where your father went to. The best part is that this very same retard is the one that later calls you out on murdering evil ghouls (all while your Karma level drops).

I'll also go on ahead and say that if you love Fallout 2 then you have no business criticizing Fallout 3. Your shitty game enabled Bethesda to do whatever the fuck they wanted with this franchise. The franchise needs to be rebuilt from the ground up with only Fallout and Fallout: New Vegas being canonical, and rewrite Fallout 2 so it isn't a fucking tribal who destroys the remnants of the U.S. government.

A fucking tribal.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
I thought I already put out a petition out there? Oh well, here we go again.

Petition to tag HarveyBirdman with
bethestard.png
, it's clear playing (and dare I say, loving) Bethshit games has rotten his brain to this point.

I'll also go on ahead and say that if you love Fallout 2 then you have no business criticizing Fallout 3.
:retarded:

Fallout 2 embodies the retardation present in Fallout 3. To deny Bethesda used Fallout 2 as a template to make Fallout 3 is being dumb.
You should go ahead and insult Fallout 1 while you're at it. After all, Bethesda used Fallout 1 as a template for Fallout 3's water problems and getting kicked out of the vault after 'saving' it. Oh, and just so you know, Super Mutants and Brotherhood of Steel originated from Fallout 1, and both are rather minor elements in Fallout 2, and yet they're heavily presents in Fallout 3.
and rewrite Fallout 2 so it isn't a fucking tribal who destroys the remnants of the U.S. government.

A fucking tribal.
It might've not done well, but I'd take a fucking tribal any fucking day instead of having to start the game from a fucking vault, again.

Oh yeah, starting from a vault is a legacy from Fallout 1, and Bethesda used it not just Fallout 3, but ALSO Fallout 4. Which means Fallout 1 embodies the retardation present in Fallout 4, especially since Fallout 4 ALSO has Super Mutants and Brotherhood of Steel.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You should go ahead and insult Fallout 1 while you're at it. After all, Bethesda used Fallout 1 as a template for Fallout 3's water problems and getting kicked out of the vault after 'saving' it.

Oh, and just so you know, Super Mutants and Brotherhood of Steel originated from Fallout 1

Oh yeah, starting from a vault is a legacy from Fallout 1, and Bethesda used it not just Fallout 3, but ALSO Fallout 4.

I've played all Fallout games minus 4, thank you. There's nothing retarded about all the elements you just mentioned.
On the other hand, Vault experiments are retarded... and guess where they started? That's right! Fallout 2. Until Fallout 2, all we knew about the Vaults and Vault-Tec were that they were poorly built and Vault-Tec was a pretty shitty company. Nothing more, nothing less.

But it's great seeing your mental gymnastics trying to justify that Bethesda's Fallout wasn't built on the foundation of the wacky Fallout 2 memes, especially when most of the things people praise about Bethesda's Fallout (the "funny" humor, the "scary and twisted" Vaults) originated with Fallout 2. :)

It might've not done well, but I'd take a fucking tribal any fucking day instead of having to start the game from a fucking vault, again.

If only there was another background we could have been given... maybe a courier, who knows.

DraQ

Arcane
They at least made sense. Perhaps you aren't able to appreciate English writing, foreign scum.

"Just because I'm immune to radiation and also your companion does not mean I will be pressing your button for you, just man up and die already, FFS!"

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Disclaimer: With the exception of the lighthouse quest, none of the quests mentioned here are even documented in any game journals or such, so whether they count as quests is debatable. One of them does need to be completed to advance the game, so that one probably counts.

Ultima IX

1) There's this early quest where you're tasked with replacing the light gems in the land's three remaining lighthouses. Seeing as ocean travel without a boat is a daunting challenge, this sounds like a good opportunity to make it easier to travel around.

Nope... not only does this quest take up 90% of the game's duration to complete, but there's no in-game benefit from doing so, and you only get rewarded with a measly 100 gold for completing it.

2) How to receive Grand Master/Expert training (whatever they called it) in two-handed swords. Unlike most (all?) other trainers whom are characters in the game, this particular training milestone can only be achieved by reading a book... so the book must be found first.

And where is the book? It's in a house in an unnamed village that does not appear on the map. There's a good reason for that: The village is at the bottom of the ocean. I don't know which is weirder, that the devs thought it was a good idea to put it there, or that someone actually went and found it in-game.

Eye of the Beholder III

The first map has lots of trees that can only be passed by chopping them down with axes. Fair enough, but takes forever. Then the second map is reached and it has a set of trees that block your path and refuse to be chopped down by axes (huh?), so they need something bigger to be removed. Now, according to the original game design, the party is supposed to enter the Mausoleum on the first map and retrieve the Amulet of Friendship from Captain Fflar so that the trees recognize you as a friend and let you pass. (Yes, it hurt my head to write that.)

Those of you familiar with EOB3 might also remember that the Mausoleum is two floors of sheer hell and nightmares, including some of the toughest fights in the game, some of the most fiendish death traps in the game and then also housing level-draining wights, just to spice things up. Add in the fact that Captain Fflar is no slouch in combat (he's actually harder to kill than the endboss) and you have a laundry list of reasons not to enter the Mausoleum.

Good thing you don't have to then, eh? Because it turns out that not five steps away from those overzealously stubborn trees is an item called the Everburning Torch, and you can wave that in front of those same trees to scare them off, granting you passage. The rest of the game is kinda easy compared to the Mausoleum, so one can only imagine what in the Nine Hells that Everburning Torch is doing there.

Finally, one of the oldest and most classical ones: How to kill the dragon in Adventure. ;)

sullynathan

Arcane
In Baldur’s Gate II there is a ghost of a halfling boy who can’t rest because his flipping teddy bear was “abducted” by a dwarf—a dwarf that killed him. Why did the dwarf kill him? And more importantly, why did the dwarf steal the boy’s teddy bear of all things!?
The best thing about this post is that you can rate it a mystery and it is also a ghost. Perhaps the kid made it to the internet

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Makes you wonder which writer/designer at these studios sit down and makes these quests. Must've been really bored.

I'm convinced that Bethesda took that old saying "If you put a hundred monkeys with typewriters in a room they'd eventually write Shakespeare" to heart and fucking ran with it.

DraQ

Arcane

"Just because I'm immune to radiation and also your companion does not mean I will be pressing your button for you, just man up and die already, FFS!"
Aaaand one more thing, regarding Skyrim:

There is plenty of shit in Skyrim quests (arguably all of them) that makes them one or more of the following:
  • contrived
  • railroaded
  • badly paced
  • pointless
  • pretty dumb, when you think about it
  • plain fucking baffling in a 'WAT.' sense
  • disappointing
But there is not a single thing in the whole game that's as agonizingly, preternaturally retarded as even the first 10' of Oblivion.

DraQ

Arcane
Failout 3:
TEu9E7u.png

Oblivious:
In Oblivion we had:

Mindless copypasta:

The Provinces of Tamriel said:
Cyrodiil is the cradle of Human Imperial high culture on Tamriel. It is the largest region of the continent, and most is endless jungle. The Imperial City is in the heartland, the fertile Nibenay Valley. The densely populated central valley is surrounded by wild rain forests drained by great rivers into the swamps of Argonia and Topal Bay. The land rises gradually to the west and sharply to the north. Between its western coast and its central valley are deciduous forests and mangrove swamps.
also the reason why I wanted to punch retards defending OB by saying that rainforest doesn't have to mean jungle in their drooling little faces, shattering their malformed little jaws and sending the jagged bone shards into their, ironically misnamed, braincases, so they would emit loud pops as the air would rush through the newly created openings to fill the stagnant vacuum within.

The Real Barenziah said:
[This passage has been censored by order of the Temple.]
Uh-uh. I assume Tribunal Temple, as it's the same version as in Morrowind, and both Daggerfall and Morrowind confirm that the aedra worshippers aren't nearly prude enough:

Morrowind said:
In Cyrodiil, she has nearly a dozen different cults; some are devoted to women, some to artists and aesthetics, and others to erotic instruction.
Daggerfall said:
Enter about any temple, you lazy fuck.

What is fucking Tribunal Temple doing in my fucking Cyrodiil?

Engineered dumbfuckery:

Light Armor Repair said:
Chainmail, Elven, Mithril and Glass are all examples of metallic light armor. You may be surprised to think that Glass can be thought of as metallic, but appearances are deceiving.
The hell I am.

The trickiest of all is Glass. Hammer blows struck across the grain run the risk of shattering the armor. Whenever possible, allign the hammer blows with the grain. In extreme cases, place the armor in tub of oil. Place the anvil so that the affected piece is on the anvil, but just under the oil. Vibrations from the hammer blows are absorbed by the oil and less likely to shatter the Glass.
:rage:

DLC said:
Working altar of Sithis :trollface:

Bottomless ignorance:
Loldirectdescendantandnoaedricartifactsplusdaedricartifactsbeingpartsofdaedreexceptwhentheyarenotwut?

Premeditated rape:
Faux medieval temperate happyland with definitelynotcathedrals with quasichristian monks.

Ubiquitous obliviousness:
Everything is stupid, everyone behaves like a retard - nobles ignoring daedric invasion and/or opportunities for power grabs, Uriel ignoring everything but his possibly indigestion induced nightmares and dreamy %PCName's face, Baurus ignoring player being an escaped convict standing over quickly cooling body of the Emperor in a cul-de-sac with conspicuously bloodied sword in one hand and the sacred amulet of plot-embolism in another, Mages Guild ignoring magical research, necromancers ignoring TES not being clear cut standard DnD, general population ignoring opening gates, fire ignoring the city it's consuming, pickpockets ignoring numerous witnesses and victims staring at their hilariously conspicuous attempts at staying undetected, petty criminals ignoring perspective of swift death at the hands of guards, bandits ignoring dead bodies of their comrades lying around and arrows lodged in their own bottoms and daedra ignoring Nirn they are supposed to be invading.

Etc.

Also, retarded, counterimmersive scaling plus superheavy glass hammers.

It's been a long time since I last played FO1, but does it even explains why Vault Dweller was selected for that mission?
The pre-made characters had explanations for why they're chosen in the character description. So basically if you use your own character it's "up to your imagination."

Fallout 2 manual said:
For several generations, your ancestors and mine lived within the Vault. As best as they could figure, it was too dangerous to try and leave the Vault. They grew their own food, recycled their waste, read, worked, slept, had families, and even purified the necessary water within the Vault. I was born in the creche, and was raised by the community (and a robot). It was a good life, but all good things come to an end. About three generations after the War, the water-purification chip the Vault relied on to create the fresh water broke down. All the spare parts were missing or busted, and without the water-chip the Vault was doomed. Something had to be done. The Overseer gathered the healthy of us between a certain age and made us draw straws. Guess what? I drew the short one. Wouldn’t be much of story if I didn’t, would it? I left the Vault the next day.

:M

re: ghoul kid in the fridge, reminds me of this conversation

I just pretend he was exploring and just locked himself in there about an hour before I found him

What about his parents though? The way they talk clearly implies it's been a long time and they even say they thought he was dead. Plus, he didn't even know his parents were ghouls. It's hard to even pretend with this quest.

I mean, you just need some strong pretending skills. I spend the entire game pretending I don't have a son to be looking for. When I get to the Institute, I continue pretending.

Fallout 4 is a great game if you spend your playthrough pretending it's a great game

Last edited:

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter

The dangers from drinking fallout contaminated water could be greatly lessened by using expedient settling and filtration methods to remove fallout particles and most of the dissolved radioactive material. Fortunately, in areas of heavy fallout, less than 2% of the radioactivity of the fallout particles contained in the water would become dissolved in water.

Filtering through earth removes essentially all of the fallout particles and more of the dissolved radioactive material than does boiling-water distillation, a generally impractical purification method that does not eliminate dangerous radioactive iodines. Earth filters are also more effective in removing radioactive iodines than are ordinary ion-exchange water softeners or charcoal filters. In areas of heavy fallout, about 99% of the radioactivity in water could be removed by filtering it through ordinary earth.

nw073.jpg

Yeah building a water filter 200 years after the war sure seems like the most necessary thing ever. There is no other way to filter water than to build a mega hightech water filter.
Tell that to the vault buried underground in need of a new water chip.
Anyway, getting back to how this tangent started: Fallout 3 may not have a good plot (or even a mediocre plot), but at least it's coherent. That's not much of a compliment. See Spot Run is also coherent.
Conversely, Baldur's Gate does not have a coherent plot. Characters behave irrationally at every turn.
I'm trying not to be critical of games I haven't played in ages. But the one thing I do remember being :retarded: was Three Dog asking you to go to a place infested by Super Mutants just to collect a satellite dish so he would tell you where your father went to. The best part is that this very same retard is the one that later calls you out on murdering evil ghouls (all while your Karma level drops).
Three Dog is just another hustler. Typical.

deuxhero

Arcane

nw073.jpg

I don't think Vault 13's issue was anywhere implied to be radiation. I assumed it was the standard water recycling you'd expect in an enclosed civilization expected to last 200 years, hence why they have water storage that, with rationing, can be measured in months.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter

nw073.jpg

I don't think Vault 13's issue was anywhere implied to be radiation. I assumed it was the standard water recycling you'd expect in an enclosed civilization expected to last 200 years.
Option A: send a lone retard out into the wastes to find a chip that may not exist. Die of dysentery if he fails.
Obtion B: drill a well. 100% chance of not succumbing to dysentery.
What's more plausible?

Codex Year of the Donut
If only there was another background we could have been given... maybe a courier, who knows.

That's not much less retarded than a tribal. Watch out Caesar's legion, here comes THE FUCKING MAILMAN

I HAVE A PACKAGE FOR YOU

IT'S FULL OF PAIN
I'd assume a courier in such a situation would likely be a pretty tough guy or else they'd be robbed and killed all the time

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom