Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you prefer kingmaker or DOS2?

Gyor

Savant
I haven't played DOS 1 OR 2, but I backed P:KM. The game has better character creation options then any other game, I mean 16 classes each with at least 3 archetypes each, and assorted bloodlines, Domains, Arcane Schools, and so on, 9 races with Aasimar and Tieflings having boat load of subrace.

Also I love that I can build brothels throughout my Kingdom. Fun.

But P:KM is buggy as hell I currently can't play it.

I have heard cool things about the interaction between spells and the environment in DOS 2 and the cool background system. I like the idea of tactical battles.

So both have their strong points and weaknesses.

But the bugs have made P:KM unplayable, so DOS 2 wins by default. Otherwise with TB mod Kingmaker would be the winner.

But I think BG 3 will beat both. 5e is a better system mostly then Pathfiner 1e or DOS, Marian has had a chance to learn for not only their own successes and mistakes, but also their competitors. They also have a much bigger team and help from Wizards of the Coast and external developers. 27 writers. Classes and subclasses are confirmed to be in. The tone of the game won't be cartoonist tone of DOS 2.

Last edited:

Darkforge

Augur
Yeah Deep Silver Sucks. All publishers suck in fact. Are you going to punish the only good RPG developer to come along for a while because of it? They need to keep the doors open somehow.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gyor you dumbass, Kingmaker has been playable from start to finish for months now. It’s been patched aggressively and plays just fine.

Even on release you had to get to chapter 4 before the bugs got really bad and that’s like 60 hours in? 70?

i stopped playing kingmaker because of bugs, lots of bugs. hordes of bugs. then waited for some expansions. still waiting for bugfixes and some dlc which would remove strategic failstates. you know, like when you spent so much using that advisor and then he dies/leaves for unforeseeable reasons and you're fucked. also still looking for a dex-based glaive.

dos2 i had to stop playing it out of boredom, unreasonable spikes of difficulty level of some encounters and the retarded "you're free to walk anywhere, but if you don't follow the very strict path we had in mind you'll be horribly raped".

GreyViper

Prophet
Playing both D:OS1 and D:OS2 as coop now and having played Kingmaker, id have to go with Kingmaker. I do like D:OS combat, but overall Kingmaker comes on top.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's tricky because I'll probably never bother beating Kingmaker again--the last parts suck too much for me to care to do them. But before that it is better than DOS2, at least now that there's mods to fix the developers' retarded decision to make the game realtime etc

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IMO if you like more modern games, DOS2, if you like more classic games, pathfinder kingmaker. PoE is the in between two.

at least now that there's mods to fix the developers' retarded decision to make the game realtime etc

About the turn based mod, one question Did anyone tried? How the game deals with multiple summons? If i spend all of my sorc spell slots with feats and have 35+ skeletons on screen, do i need to control each one in each turn? Or do i give an order to everyone? Because with certain feats, is possible to raise 6 skeletons in a single cast.

Last edited:

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
IMO if you like more modern games, DOS2, if you like more classic games, pathfinder kingmaker. PoE is the in between two.

at least now that there's mods to fix the developers' retarded decision to make the game realtime etc

About the turn based mod, one question Did anyone tried? How the game deals with multiple summons? If i spend all of my sorc spell slots with feats and have 35+ skeletons on screen, do i need to control each one in each turn? Or do i give an order to everyone? Because with certain feats, is possible to raise 6 skeletons in a single cast.
I’m pretty sure you have to assign each summon individually. So, a summoner playthrough is probably better using RTWP.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
The devs of Kingmaker should have been granted the rights to make BG3. Not saying that Larian is not capable of doing it, but their style is not suited for BG series. It is clear that those that made Kingmaker have their soul in the right place. I can't bear another Larian game where I have to rotate the camera and zoom in and out and try to ignore their cartoonish looking characters.

Seethe

Arbiter
Say whatever you want about D:OS 2, they didn't have paid DLC , so they have the upper hand in this regard.

But D:OS2 costs more and there are an detail.
D:OS2 is 92 hours long(main + extras) according to how long to beat ( https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=39525 )
P:K is 140 hours long(main + extras) according to the same source ( https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=60050 )

This is an game length comparative. We can see how much spells both games has, how much skills both has(...)Not mentioning that due the fact that D:os2 being turn based, with slower animations, an 3 turn battle in P:K lasts 18 seconds. On D:OS2 lasts at least an minute. D:OS2 is much more modernized, has fully VA, even animals that an tinny minority of players that picked an skill will listen, but by other hands, has more modern BS and that is why many people here prefer P:K.

By extras for P:K, I assume you are talking about loading screens.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
My loading screens about 4.5 secs

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Kingmaker, and it's not close. It pretty much is BG3, as far as I'm concerned.
The devs of Kingmaker should have been granted the rights to make BG3. Not saying that Larian is not capable of doing it, but their style is not suited for BG series. It is clear that those that made Kingmaker have their soul in the right place. I can't bear another Larian game where I have to rotate the camera and zoom in and out and try to ignore their cartoonish looking characters.
Completely agree. Besides, Larian's writing is intolerably bad.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kingmaker has everything that i love on classic games, DOS2 has everything that i HATE on modern games. Cooldowns, wow style itemization, Zimbabwe inflation on numbers that means nothing, archers unable to hit a dinosaur at 14m, no epic spells and weapons to get, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom