Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cold climate games for gaming anytime

Pharad

Novice
Weirdly noticed I own so many of these lol, never thought I had a thing for cold :D Frostpunk is a great game btw, been loosing my time in it for quite a while, hard as hell though.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Heroine's Quest
ss_a972523cbc66991dcec7f3f51e2b1d61b11ef797.1920x1080.jpg

Just chilling at the frozen lake.

The Red Knight

Erudite
Arctic Wolf Family Simulator
JzB3kpy.jpg

And this award-winning cult classsic puzzle game
Transarctica
R1PXASw.png

Age of Wonders 1-2 and HoM&M 2-3 have cozy-looking winter maps
0DHS3lU.png

Dm9pXDP.png

RDYhIoX.png

nJwNi9Z.png

(santa caps from this)

Red Alert 2's winter maps
bPq8TNO.png

K0TEVP7.png

Dominions 5 has winter overlay (combine with everyone taking full cold scales; use Legendary mod for a more eventful single-player experience)
JFLBsAp.png

Dominions 4 has this gorgeous Ledan nation mod, not sure if it's been ported to 5 yet.
sOW8egH.jpg

NEO Scavenger with this mod.
ffcOQcs.png

Witch's Wake for NWN.
VopBksN.png

Yoda Stories
eBHdOO4.gif

King of Dragon Pass with the Ice Tribe as your ancestral enemy.
ssSezVk.png

Blades of Avernum's "Frostbite" scenario.

Battle for Wesnoth had some interesting winter maps/campaigns (and a mechanic of snow slowly covering the map and hindering unit movement)

Happyland Adventures X-mas Edition

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves

ss_515b0b8d3a206c7f364b5e80d94af34dfb076fca.1920x1080.jpg

P. good game, each day you set traps, ambushes and defenses for the night attack. It's free on Steam:

ferratilis

Magister
When Company of Heroes 2 came out, I really enjoyed playing on the winter maps. It had some novel gameplay mechanics like having to keep your units close to campfires during blizzards, units moving slower through snow, tanks falling through ice into bodies of water, low visiibilty etc. Of course, players complained that all these mechanics "ruin balance" and Relic pussied out and removed all of them. But it was one of the coolest games set in winter, it's just sad all of it was within a shitty game that became all about microtransactions and predatory DLC, despite the engine being so advanced.

720p-company-of-heroes-2-background-dqgn7g3n8bwe9g3i.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

relic00037.jpg

ds

Cipher
Patron
Ok, two games where you actually get to see snow yourself: Near Death and Kona

I always liked the winter maps in Warcraft 2 with the snow sprites.

2021.04.13-16.57.webp

Other games since then have surpassed it, maybe, but Colin McRae Rally was the first truly realistic rally game I remember and the snow tracks
were scary as hell.

Sled Storm, one of my favorite racing games.

Carmageddon 1 and 2 had some great snow maps. I remember throwing animals and people off the mountain in C2.

Metal Gear Solid was set in Alaska and had several iconic locations.

tumblr_lzurd55AZH1qgvvtno1_500.jpg

Tomb Raider's iconic first level. You also have the Antarctica levels in Tomb Raider 3, but I haven't played those yet.

Tomb_Raider_(DOS)_19.jpg

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Despite having soured on the series over time, Mass Effect's Noveria absolutely nailed this vibe. There were also some uncharted Mako planets which were similar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom