Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline If the Codex was in charge of making a new GTA/openworld game

blrrmmmff

Scholar
What would be done to innovate the genre? I often see people here hating on the latest GTA games for doing nothing new, and i kinda have to agree.

I have some ideas myself, I think one thing can be innovated upon, and that is the save system.

Most of the time in open world games you basically move up the social ladder right? And in game currency is often kinda useless? Because who cares about buying a nice apartment in the game. So there is not really a strong incentive to earn money beyond a certain point.

So why not make a save system where you have to buy saves with in game currency. And as you move up on the social ladder in the game, saves get more expensive and harder to buy. So at first saving is very cheap (compared to how much money you have), but if you for example gain more influence, and become connected with higher ups in the mafia/whatever powerful gang/organization, saving becomes more expensive, and you have to be strategic about when to save.

A second thing that could be done is have high status, well connected people in the world. And if you kill them then there are significant consequences. If you are in the right position you could take over what they have, but if you are not connected enough yourself, their followers/supporters will come after you. And if you take their shit over, you have to take care of their supporters one way or another. And make it difficult to kill them without getting made for it of course (by either hiding them or letting them be in heavily guarded/surveillance areas.

Combine this with a save system where later on it gets harder to just save every few minutes (where maybe a period between saves is half an hour or more).

Game play gets more tense as well.

A third thing to combine with all this would be to have those high value targets show up randomly (and in a vulnerable position where they can get killed) in such a way that you cannot save. So for example you get a phone call that they are holed up in some hotel with a prostitute. Add in the possibility that this could be a trap, and things can get interesting.

Increase the possibility that they show up after not saving for some time (rewarding the player for playing with more risk). And take away the possibility to save before hand if acting on this opportunity. This would create real tension. You cannot try to go after the guy, and if it fails, just reload a save game 2 minutes before.

A fourth thing would be to have a sphere of influence. Early in the game, people will easily tell you to go fuck yourself, but later on if you move up you should be able to delegate some tasks.

Finally, I want to own more. There should be income streams you can take control of one way or another. For example, blackmail, or if you are powerful enough, take out a loan at the bank, and just don't pay it back. There should be a lot more hidden creative ways you can earn money (and you would really need it later in the game as you move up to save). And you might have to make choices later on to sell assets, just to save your game after accomplishing something difficult.

dextermorgan

Arcane
If the Codex was in charge of making a new GTA/openworld game
I found some exclusive screenshots.

time-100-influential-photos-heinrich-hoffmann-hitler-nazi-party-rally-22.jpg

CYL6HKGUOY6RJLSWV3RV7T67ZY.JPG

image-placeholder-title.jpg

I found some exclusive screenshots.

time-100-influential-photos-heinrich-hoffmann-hitler-nazi-party-rally-22.jpg

CYL6HKGUOY6RJLSWV3RV7T67ZY.JPG

image-placeholder-title.jpg
Nazi Germany has been done to death, what about a game set during the Weimar Republic? That gives you a choice between multiple factions vying for control. You could even please the journos, since you could choose to play as the dirty communists and change the outcome of history.

yeah, but it's f2p only in certain states and only to dark skinned players. what a shame, i truly wanted to try that "sweden" server.

I would make a GTA set in a collapsing america, BTFO the law and become the new law. Eradicate opposing gangs, stablish "protection" tax on your territory and instead of being the bitch of every mission giver make an example of anyone who disrespects you.

Falksi

Arcane
Sandbox games should be fun, not fucking life sims.

Vice City, Prototype, Saints Row 2 & 4 - examples of nice OTT comic brain-dead fun, how Sandbox games should be.

Alternitively, if you want something more weighty go the Sleeping Dogs or Saboteur route.

But FFS just kill that rank, bullshit, life-sim may-as-well-watch-a-movie path which GTA has taken.

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'll stop you right there. Thank goodness the Cuckdex is not and leave this alone.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I honestly don't care about the crime sim aspect, it's cringe, just add open-ended mission design, allow you to plan the bank robbery including the getaway, use gadgets creatively, more accessible building areas, lots of them. Do this without abandoning the most important aspect of GTA-style games, that is the vehicle & on-foot gameplay mix.

Downsize the world map to GTA III size.

Swigen

Arbiter
When encountering prostitutes the only dialog choices will be “Accept” and “Enthusiastically Agree”.

KK1001

Arbiter
The entire game from the ground up would be systems-based, on a large scale. The world itself would have certain parameters that your choices, during quests or otherwise, would directly influence. It'd be more than about just who owns area X or rules the kingdom or whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom