Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I tried this game, I don't get the hype? I played as a mage and all you do is press 2 buttons and the world explodes? Is that it?
The mage/sorcerer vocations can be quite entertaining to play, but they lack the melee options available to the 7 other vocations and require instead careful spell selection while evading enemies. Rather than attempt this combat style on your first playthrough, you should instead either begin as a fighter before changing to warrior and then to mystic knight (or possibly assassin) or start as a strider before switching to ranger and then to assassin (or possibly magick archer). If you enjoy the game and wish to experience more combat styles, you can play as a mage/sorcerer character on your second or third playthrough.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What i LOVE about Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls is that despite being made on Japan, both games barely resembles an "jrpg", no androgynous teenagers with oversized swords saving the world. No BS mechanics like CDs. I loved to play DD as an Ranger. The unique thing that i hate is the "leveling" system, in order to be an good magick archer with high magick damage, for eg, you need to play most time as a sorcerer. And the fact that weapons contribute too much to the damage and BI weapons are random.

The mage/sorcerer vocations can be quite entertaining to play, but they lack the melee options available to the 7 other vocations and require instead careful spell selection while evading enemies. Rather than attempt this combat style on your first playthrough, you should instead either begin as a fighter before changing to warrior and then to mystic knight (or possibly assassin) or start as a strider before switching to ranger and then to assassin (or possibly magick archer). If you enjoy the game and wish to experience more combat styles, you can play as a mage/sorcerer character on your second or third playthrough.

I disagree. Some people enjoy much more arcane classes. My first run was sorcerer then magick archer and my second run, an ranger. In most games, i rather play as an mage, mainly D&D games(iwd1/2, bg1/2, nwn1/2, etc), because stop the time, make rain meteors, raise an undead army, is much more interesting than swing an piece of metal. DD made the Ranger gameplay interesting by additing a lot of arrow type options and a lot of cool skills but fighter/warrior i found extremely boring.

Black Angel

Arcane
I tried this game, I don't get the hype? I played as a mage and all you do is press 2 buttons and the world explodes? Is that it?
Mage is imo the worst and most boring class in the game, literally everything else is miles better. If you wanna cast big boom spells just wait til you're level 10 and switch to sorcerer, not mage.
What's funny about mages, though this is from the days of playing on PS3, is that the strongest pawn I ever gotten online was a mage. I don't know how, might be because of the full dragonforged equipment she has? Even then, she completely outclassed/outdamage my sorcerer pawn and literally any other online pawns, no matter if I recruit her after getting my own pawn to higher levels + better equipment. Maybe I did something wrong back then.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Mage is imo the worst and most boring class in the game, literally everything else is miles better. If you wanna cast big boom spells just wait til you're level 10 and switch to sorcerer, not mage.
What's funny about mages, though this is from the days of playing on PS3, is that the strongest pawn I ever gotten online was a mage. I don't know how, might be because of the full dragonforged equipment she has? Even then, she completely outclassed/outdamage my sorcerer pawn and literally any other online pawns, no matter if I recruit her after getting my own pawn to higher levels + better equipment. Maybe I did something wrong back then.
Efficiency of a pawn depends a lot on his/her inclinations and "training". A pawn will behave simarly to the player. So ideally you want to fight how your pawn should fight. For example if you climb monster often your pawn will do the same. It requires serious commitment to make

the perfect pawn. So itdoesn't matter if you get a lv 200 sorcerer with lv 3 bb weapons if he keep climbing monsters and do nothing, your lv 100 mage will always be more useful. Ofc this is an extreme example. It could be that pawn your found had right inclinations and no bad habit learned from his master

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yep. I've heard people talk about ranger pawns that just snipe everything in the eyes as soon as it shows up and wreck everything.

Hyperion

Arcane
Was always partial to Ranger. Endecad Shot good for hitting groups of enemies as well as Point Blank against something big with multiple body parts to hit. Tenfold Arrow's Power is well known. Great Gamble is extremely useful on a pawn since they seem to be able to use it way faster and more accurately than you. Keeping quite a few mushrooms on hand is a must if that's your third skill.

Never cared for Assassin. Sacrifices all defense for offense, and you can't possibly avoid everything the game throws at you. The passive nerfs in Dark Arisen make its solo use less obscene. Same with the nighttime passive. Has lots of weapon flexibility for whatever the game throws at you.

Strider is OK, but I'm not a big fan of climbing enemies. The bow makes it better overall than a Fighter because so many enemies require you to be at range at some point, but if it's a ground enemy you're just better off with a Dragon's Maw spamming Fighter with a healthy supply of mushrooms. P much unlimited i-frames.

Magick Archer is great in BBI because of its elements, and against Ur-Dragon for homing capabilities, but I find its usefulness paling in comparison to the Ranger's complete destruction.

Mystic Knight Arisen with balanced stats leaning towards Physical because Stone Forest is almost as fun with similar stopping Power to Arc of Deliverance, and a Warrior Pawn that eventually ends up as Ranger is how every one of my playthroughs seems to end up...

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Magick Archer is great in BBI because of its elements, and against Ur-Dragon for homing capabilities, but I find its usefulness paling in comparison to the Ranger's complete destruction.

MAs have a few advantages over Ranger:

- Ricochet Hunter in tight spaces rivals Ranger's raw power with Blast Arrows.

- More mobility while aiming.

- Ghosts are easier to kill.

- You have much more utility.

- You can still kill normal Golems quickly via Immolation. (Metal Golems still suck. Ranger wins here)

- MAs don't need items (Magic Rebalancer, and Rangers need to carry Blast Arrows to reach peak strength).

- MAs hit their power peaks sooner IMO. You can start eating Garms alive in BBI once you get Ricohet Hunter and Magic Rebalancer. You can snipe-farm the Red Drake in the northwest via Great Sacrifice (hit the heart for a one-shot kill).

If your goal is to farm Daimon, then yeah, Tenfold-blast arrows is king. But for most of the game, MAs are better IMO.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
You forget to mention that auto aiming feels cheap af and is boring after a while

It's nowhere near as boring as HFB spamming Sorcerer. You don't even aim when spamming those cum shots.
I'm comparing it to ranger and other bow wielder vocs. Ma doesn't hold a candle compared to ranger in terms of fun, at least for me. I guess if you treat magic arrows as spells they could be enjoyable, but if you compare them to ranger skills they feels like cheating

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
IGN thing with quotes from Itsuno: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/02/dragons-dogma-the-most-influential-game-no-one-ever-copied

Response to a question about a possible sequel: "We consider Dragon's Dogma to be an important franchise... But there's nothing more I can say right now."

Dragon's Dogma: The Most Influential Game No One Ever Copied
Talking to Hideaki Itsuno about his strangest creation.

There’s a phrase you’ll hear from time to time - ‘a comedian’s comedian’. It’s the idea that a certain kind of (usually odd, or cerebral) comic’s main audience is just other comics, who often go onto co-opt that style in more marketable ways. It’s an idea that maps to games rather well.

The ‘game developer’s game’ is something like Frozen Synapse - I’ve lost count of the developers I’ve seen losing their minds over its elegant, Spartan approach to tactics - or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, a game so broken but so compelling that it died and had its bones picked clean by the likes of Bioware and CD Projekt Red.

But then you have something like Dragon’s Dogma. On the surface, Capcom’s 2012 action-RPG seems a similar case. This was a game made with the stated intention of capitalising on Elder Scrolls Fever, arriving mere months after Skyrim, and bringing with it similar fantasy references, quest design and open world structure. But its Japanese creators, and Capcom’s action game expertise meant it came out quite differently, a chimeric hodgepodge of cross-Pacific ideas.

Day one fans discussed intricate action systems, hailed smart twists on the genre, and tried (and mostly failed) to describe the Pawn System, a very weird, very novel approach to asymmetric online play in which you hired AI-controlled characters made by other players, while lending out your own. Many other people subsequently brought the game home and found an extremely brown world, tied together with an absurdly under-explained story and populated by hilariously stilted characters speaking in ye olde Englishe fore noe reale reasone.

It sold well, but not that well, enough to earn an expansion, a remaster and a middling MMO spin-off, but seemingly not enough to warrant a full sequel. But, over the years, whispers about the game continued to squeak out every now and then. That its huge post-credits section is a bewildering masterclass in endgame content. That its varied approach to classes feels, well, a class above most action-RPGs. That it features one of the medium’s grandest depictions of the sheer power of magic (that one was mainly me, but seriously, look at High Bolide). It should be the quintessential game developer’s game. I see plenty of people - devs included - talk about it to this day. We should be seeing its standout ideas all over the place. We just aren’t.

Don’t take my word for it, take creator Hideaki Itsuno’s. I ask him what he thinks Dragon’s Dogma did well that other games haven’t matched. He can’t keep it to one answer: “I think the three-dimensional combat based around climbing onto monsters’ bodies still holds up against other titles now. I also haven’t seen the pawn system anywhere else since. The way forgeries worked in the game was very clever, and I also think that Dragon’s Dogma has the best and scariest night-time of any RPG!”

I emailed the director to talk about the odd legacy of this game - a passion project for him, albeit a passion project with the kind of budget you’re given if you’re the person that heads up the Devil May Cry series. It’s a game I also love dearly, and have just finished again by means of the excellent Switch port. And while playing it the best part of a decade later, I realise we’ve still not seen anything else quite like it - never mind a sequel. There seems no one better to talk with about why that might be.

I start by asking Itsuno why he thought the game got that slightly muddled first reaction, and he is decidedly more forthright than I expected: “The pawn system and the game’s interpretation of RPG gameplay via realtime action were, I think, difficult to understand by players at first glance. To be honest, I’m not even sure all the internal staff fully understood it either.” Then I ask him what he feels the game’s key innovations were: he mentions the pawn system and Capcom’s action being applied in an RPG context. Essentially, the most important parts of the game were also the biggest perceived barriers to entry.

I ask if he purposely created something that would baffle people, a shock to the established system: “My approach to game design has always been to envision a game that I would want to play, and reverse engineer from that vision. For Dragon's Dogma I wanted to create a game where you could be connected with a lot of people but not have to worry about the courtesies one generally has to consider when playing online with others, and I wanted to play an RPG with the more troublesome aspects stripped away - so I designed the game to fulfill those two requirements. At the time there was no game that fulfilled either of these aspects. As a result, you have a game that plays like nothing that's ever come before.”

He’s honest, rather than bullish, about all this. Itsuno doesn’t boast about his work, so much as state the facts - Dragon’s Dogma was (and is) a fairly unique proposition once you get past its set-up, and he recognises the problems that caused. In fact, Itsuno’s honesty about what the game got wrong is almost as much a feature of his answers as his love for it. He tells me it could have been “nicer to the players”, and offers a litany of changes he would make now: “Although I was supremely confident in the game at the time. I would rebalance the difficulty of the action and the character levelling, the look of the armour, how you choose your hairstyle… When I play the game and see how everyone’s pawns look in the Rift, it makes me want to fix things up!”

The overriding vibe in our interview, however, is one of pride. Itsuno remains delighted with the game he made, and that’s absolutely down in part to its startling weirdness and the way it was built to accommodate those unusual ideas. And that might be the crux of it. I ask Itsuno why his game is still unique, why other developers - many of whom publicly laud Dragon’s Dogma - aren’t nabbing from him.

“I think that's because all of these elements are closely linked with the very root of the game design, the base user motivation loop,” he explains, “so it's not easy to just add them after-the-fact. Even if they seem like relatively straightforward elements, they are made up of many different parts that deeply integrate with the game's logic and hardware performance, so there are just too many parts that you would need to account for to really make these elements fun and work right.” With what I imagine was a smile behind his computer monitor, he adds: “And finally, I think part of it is that we're also just kind of... different.”

That’s the other thing. Itsuno seems to love that his game is too strange to steal from; that he’s made a game that’s been influential, but never truly copied: “Naturally, I'm happy that the game still remains unique. I think that in and of itself makes things valuable in our industry. Of course, there's also value in being something that everyone copies as well... I don't know whether people don't want to copy it, or simply can't, but I think it's at least something that can't easily be copied.”

All of this said, Itsuno can name one developer who’s run with his ideas, at least a little - himself. “I was originally torn between making Devil May Cry 5 and a sequel to Dragon’s Dogma. Ultimately, we went with DMC5, but I think Dragon’s Dogma is still a major influence and without it, we wouldn’t have DMC5.”

Indeed, DMC5 really does feel like the most transparent adaptation of at least some of Itsuno’s old ideas. New character V is something of a reinvention of Dogma’s sorcerer class, a character who uses action mechanics but stands off from the action, controlling the fight from afar. DMC5 also includes something like the Pawn system, seamlessly inserting other players’ performances as different characters into your game as you play (and doing the same for you). Just like Dragon’s Dogma, it then lets you send those players a rating and a reward for their unknowing help.

It invites the idea that maybe the only person truly fit to make a game directly inspired by Dragon’s Dogma is Itsuno. I can’t resist, and ask him - now that DMC5 is out the door, with no DLC planned - if we could see a sequel, or even if he’s working on it right now. The answer is non-committal, but certainly not negative: “We consider Dragon's Dogma to be an important franchise... But there's nothing more I can say right now.”

On the one hand, it saddens me that other developers haven’t outwardly tried to adapt Itsuno’s ideas in newer, smoother contexts. But on the other perhaps it means that, one day - when Itsuno does, finally, get a chance to make Dragon’s Dogma 2 - all of this will feel just as special as it did in 2012.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You forget to mention that auto aiming feels cheap af and is boring after a while

Other problem of magick archer is the fact that you need to play a lot with sorcerer in order to level up your magick attribute and Rangers can get an amazing bow earler one, Magick Archer can get an dagger collection while trying to purify an BI bow...

Falksi

Arcane
Restarted playing this recently.

Yup, still the best Action RPG in the past decade.

Which class do you guys find most powerful?

Strider
Assassin
Ranger
Magick Archer?

Also, this guy's channel is amazing for DD stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbdJQRwuWl0CvsBx6XCsKdA

Force Hatchet + Blast Arrows is a real thing.

I know it's got RPG elements, but let's be honest, it's really a modern day Beat 'Em Up aint it? Kinda like King of the Dragons in 3D

Anyhoo, Assasin is my fave, and really the only class I've found fun enough to finish the game with. Plenty of interactivity, no fuss, bish, bosh, bash.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
What the fuck are you talking about? Itsuno already said alot of times, that his next big project after DMC5 would be DD2.

Nah, he just said he chose DMC5 over DD2. Of course it makes you think DD2 will be the game after DMC 5, and the above quote from Itsuno suggests DD2 is at least being considered, if not in development, but it's never confirmed or teased.

Kitchen Utensil

And even if it comes, it's current year and there's no way it will be as good as the original.

Kitchen Utensil

No, but it's seven years old and was already an outlier back then quality and content-wise.
There's just no way a successor will have so many great systems and attention to detail.
Character creator (still unsurpassed afaik) and layered clothing system just to name the most obvious.

I'd hope I'm wrong, but I know I'm not. :3

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
What the fuck are you talking about? Itsuno already said alot of times, that his next big project after DMC5 would be DD2.

Nah, he just said he chose DMC5 over DD2. Of course it makes you think DD2 will be the game after DMC 5, and the above quote from Itsuno suggests DD2 is at least being considered, if not in development, but it's never confirmed or teased.

To be more precise he said that after DD, he really wanted to make both a DMC5 and a DD2.
That's more than enough for a very plausible confirmation.
He also said that after DMC5 he was going to do one more big AAA project before retiring or some shit. So unless he decides to make a brand new IP, there's just no other title that could be that next big project.

And even if it comes, it's current year and there's no way it will be as good as the original.

People said exactly the same for DMC5. Then it came out and blew it's previous titles out the water.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom