Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
As a sidenote, I had a real field day when all the "Anti-SJWs" got in an uproar about Iron Bull's comment about trannies. I couldn't believe that so many people were so moronic they did not recognize an obvious lie coming from a spy. Apparently, BioWare couldn't believe either, and in the Trespasser DLC you get an outright confirmation that he was bullshitting the tranny.

I'm curious, what was the lie? That whole exchange just went in one ear and out the other, other than the slight eyeroll about the lecture.

He basically fed a trans-woman a lie that trannies are a special cast within the Qun, who are treated as having the spirit of the gender they've chosen (or something along those lines). For years this dialogue has been used as canon fodder on forums/chans to portray the game as SJW. Of course most of the morons forgot that:
1. Iron Bull is a spy.
2. Will tell any bullshit to anyone to gain sympathy.
3. There is no mention of such a caste in any Codex in any game.
4. Conversations with other Qunari in the previous games outright denied such a thing.
5. Did I mention he was a spy?

Finally BioWare came to the same conclusion I did - that people are retards - and planted a dialogue with Iron Bull in the DLC where he outright states he was lying.

Doesn't change the whole "I love my gay son" storyline where your only "options" are three different ways to agree with sodomy.

I'd bet the Iron Bull tranny dialogue was written by Gayder and the DLC refuting it was written by someone else after he left in some vain attempt to salvage all the buggery David ejaculated across the mythos.

Codex Year of the Donut
Living, breathing world in a Dragon Age game, funny.

The only other franchise which attempted that is the Elder Scrolls, but their games are set apart by centuries.

No.

So, give an example.

You should know, fairly obvious: Huge series of games that pioneered the genre, living world with npcs who eat, drink, work, go to church, to the inn, and to bed at night.

Massive amount of environmental interaction so the world isn't just a painted backdrop.

Huge number of methods of transit, from simple teleports to horse and car.

Many other things to do rather than usual cycle of fight and loot.

A world built over many games by the player.
ELEX

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'd bet the Iron Bull tranny dialogue was written by Gayder and the DLC refuting it was written by someone else after he left in some vain attempt to salvage all the buggery David ejaculated across the mythos.
Iron Bull was always written by Weekes. As far as companions go, Gaider just wrote Dorian and Cassandra.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Or a Delish Elf - the same.
Or a mage (even human one) - completely different circumstances/social role/mentality.
I don't consider them to have blue/orange morality like the qunari.
You simply cannot understand a qunari. Allowing one to join you is crazy.

Dalish Elves believe (completely falsely) to be the descendants of a proud, magically powerful people. They are a race based literally on delusions of grandeur and a schizophrenic belief in things that never were. For God's sake, they're wearing SLAVE BRANDS and mistaking them for sacred tattoos representing the gods. Just how warped a race had to become in order to make themselves believe lies so profound and fundamental?

Oh, and by the way: someone at BioWare must REALLY dislike Israel, since the Dalish are clearly a satire of Jews (and I mean "satire" in the very negative and mean-spirited sense).
Well the whole game is set in medieval Europa. Also stop hammering that garbage about qun, rusty_shackleford just doesn't like sand niggers lol.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I wouldn't call it living and breathing but the Dragon Age world feels a lot more believable than for example the forgotten realms. Because you do not have this perfect overview of the world, its events and the gods. Every bit of info you get from the codex has an author everything you hear from NCPs is highly subjective and might be completely wrong. That makes the world feel more mysterious than others.

I really like that all Dragon Age stories happen within a human life which allows them to focus on only the stories they want to talk about.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
That makes the world feel more mysterious than others.

I'll gi you that, mystery of how LillyAllan glued her head back on after I corrupted ashes in Origins and beheaded her has still not been answered. GMs pets fucking suck.
They answered it in Trespasser. Not sure what it means exactly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6kJXWXH6xw
edit. apparently, it's related to the Descend DLC.

Still doesn't answer how she glued her head back on even if lyrium were singing in her veins, twas but a flesh wound, your heads off!

Monty Python Age next?

Cael

Arcane
The real problem with Iron Bull is that you can't just outright kill him

On the other hand, BioWare predicted that Sera would be immensely disliked - you can immediately kick her out.
I'm willing to deal with an immature character, I'm not willing to deal with a member of a foreign cult that has blue/orange morality.

Unless you are playing a non-mage human, any other option also puts you into a "non-standard social role".
I played as a human assassin
either way, it's not the same as a qunari
You are in Orlais. Human assassin is very much a standard social role, even a critical one...

Dodo1610

Arcane

I'll gi you that, mystery of how LillyAllan glued her head back on after I corrupted ashes in Origins and beheaded her has still not been answered. GMs pets fucking suck.
They answered it in Trespasser. Not sure what it means exactly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6kJXWXH6xw

Still doesn't answer how she glued her head back on even if lyrium were singing in her veins, twas but a flesh wound, your heads off!

Monty Python Age next?

So should the Bioware better have just ignored your decision to kill Leliana like every other RPG which has some kind of savegame import? Inquisition had all of the issues but the ability to import very different World states was not one of them imo.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I never managed to finish that final dlc,it was just too painful. At one time i just decided to go make coffee while i left them fight. After ten minutes i returned and the enemy was still alive because it was that spongy. At that point i just uninstalled the game. I remember that it had some basement that teleported you around,there were some mines with qunary and some fucking wizard library and shit.

Neanderthal

Arcane

Monty Python Age next?

So should the Bioware better have just ignored your decision to kill Leliana like every other RPG which has some kind of savegame import? Inquisition had all of the issues but the ability to import very different World states was not one of them imo.

So retconning what you've done and making characters unkillable is now reactivity? Bioware, tis a silly place.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I never managed to finish that final dlc,it was just too painful. At one time i just decided to go make coffee while i left them fight. After ten minutes i returned and the enemy was still alive because it was that spongy. At that point i just uninstalled the game. I remember that it had some basement that teleported you around,there were some mines with qunary and some fucking wizard library and shit.

What the heck are you talking about, the problem of DA:I was the damage output of your characters are way too high, I could kill the highest level dragon in the game in 10 seconds if he didn't fly away from me. There is no need for strategy, just kill them before they can do anything.

The final DLC has some stronger enemies but even then I could eliminate their health bar like nothing. The only difference is that they are able to pretty much one shot me as well this time.

Codex Year of the Donut

Monty Python Age next?

So retconning what you've done and making characters unkillable is now reactivity? Bioware, tis a silly place.
She was a lyrium ghost.
And no, it's not a retcon. If you take Oghren with you to the urn of sacred ashes he explicitly mentions he detects lyrium there -- Dwarves can detect lyrium via stone sense.
Nearly all the spiritual stuff in Dragon Age is hinted at being created by lyrium if you pay close enough attention.

Codex Year of the Donut
What they did with characters dying in Dragon Age is far, far better than, for example, Baldur's Gate and their constant "Aren't you supposed to be dead?"
Even worse, the fates a lot of BG1 characters got in BG2 regardless of your choices. And that's if they even showed up/are mentioned at all.
You know Ajantis? Yeah? You kill him in BG2. If you have Keldorn with you when you go to the Windspear Hills, he will identify one of the slain "monster" apparitions as Ajantis. ...And that's all he gets.†
Safana tries to get a werewolf to kill you for a bounty.
Dynaheir uh, dies. Sometime after/during being captured, sometime before the start of the game. Somehow. Never explained at all, Minsc is upset for like 5 minutes then moves on.
Montaron/Xzar, no comment.

† — There is NO way around this. Unlike in BG1 where the devs thought ahead of time that people might stealth/invis past encounters and created alternative ways to solve them, you cannot do that here. There's no way to advance the plot without killing them. Another big BG2 disappointment.

Cael

Arcane
What they did with characters dying in Dragon Age is far, far better than, for example, Baldur's Gate and their constant "Aren't you supposed to be dead?"
Even worse, the fates a lot of BG1 characters got in BG2 regardless of your choices. And that's if they even showed up/are mentioned at all.
You know Ajantis? Yeah? You kill him in BG2. If you have Keldorn with you when you go to the Windspear Hills, he will identify one of the slain "monster" apparitions as Ajantis. ...And that's all he gets.†
Dynaheir uh, dies. Sometime after/during being captured, sometime before the start of the game. Somehow. Never explained at all, Minsc is upset for like 5 minutes then moves on.

† — There is NO way around this. Unlike in BG1 where the devs thought ahead of time that people might stealth/invis past encounters and created alternative ways to solve them, you cannot do that here. There's no way to advance the plot without killing them. Another big BG2 disappointment.
Ajantis gets turned into a monster.
Safana gets killed trying kill you for a bounty. I can't remember if Coran dies in the same quest.
Tiax gets thrown into Spellhold and killed during the attack on Irenicus.
Montaron killed/captured trying to infiltrate Harper hideout. Xzar killed trying to rescue him.
Dynaheir killed before game started by Irenicus.
Khalid killed before game started by Irenicus.

Being your companion is a bad career route.

Codex Year of the Donut
I can't remember if Coran dies in the same quest.
He does not, Coran will aid you.
At least Khalid's death has an explanation(and Jaheira will be pretty upset for a while.) Dynaheir felt like they just got tired of the character and wrote her off like in a bad soap opera.

Cael

Arcane
I can't remember if Coran dies in the same quest.
He does not, Coran will aid you.
At least Khalid's death has an explanation(and Jaheira will be pretty upset for a while.) Dynaheir felt like they just got tired of the character and wrote her off like in a bad soap opera.
Good about Coran. I just wish they got rid of Eldoth in a suitably humiliating way, like being a drow matron's whipping boy and him begging you to rescue him. That guy really pushes my buttons. I will just have to be satisfied with getting him gruesomely killed by slime in my BG runs and consider that canon.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Those are not really issues, unless you killed those people in BG1. What's more annoying is getting saddled in the starting dungeon with Jaheira and Minsc WHOM I NEVER TRAVELLED WITH in BG1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom