Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

Shinji

Savant
Fire-Emblem-Three-Houses_Shamir_s.jpg

latest

This character is straight up just Queen from Suikoden 3.
SW_FireEmblemThreeHouses_ND0213_SCRN_07_bmp_jpgcopy.0.jpg

iu

I wonder if the character designer took inspiration from Suikoden III

Tigranes

Arcane
I am hearing genealogy as primary inspiration.. but also the school stuff seems more central to gameplay now. Still torn on whether the actual combat will be worth D1P.

Weapon triangle reported as downsized/half-gone.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll get this eventually, but it is far from a day one purchase. This wasn't the case when it was announced. I still have Fates and Echoes to finish, anyway.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I am hearing genealogy as primary inspiration.. but also the school stuff seems more central to gameplay now. Still torn on whether the actual combat will be worth D1P.

Weapon triangle reported as downsized/half-gone.
I read on the Chans (so it may not be accurate or completely true) that the school part is only a tutorial of sorts, or at least a shorter first chapter of the game, but won't be a big focus, or even existent for the majority of the game.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Based on preview I read, after the school part you will have to choose one of the House or something and the rest will become enemies.

Probably will be a branching 2 in one game again like Fates?

CyberModuled

Savant
Can't wait for true route to be locked behind DLC a few months post launch like Fates then.

jungl

Augur
If three houses anything like fates its going to suck. Lot of bad design, counter skill, silence staff making units useless, forced to use DLC bonuses for harder difficulties, op units and useless ones. RNG leveling system critical strikes.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Need to visit family on the day it releases, hope I can start downloading it before work. God I hate rural internet.

Tigranes

Arcane
The ROM leaked like three days ago

Forums/reddits full of romance & animu character squealing

Search megathreads full of spoilers for "gameplay"

1 hit

:deathclaw:

deuxhero

Arcane
So apparently there's New Game Plus from text rips. Seems to only let you carry over the MC's weapon ranks (to help get students from the other houses to join you I guess), renown and unlocks some cosmetic options (what these are is unclear since only the text is ripped).
Fujoshits are mad the male gay options are shit and the yuri options aren't. :incline:

Oh you know how I said options? Turns out two of the three apparent yaoi pairings actually aren't. All the yuri options are legit (though one is kinda nuts) and you can pair a few girls with eachother. Now the fujos are even angrier. :incline:

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The ROM leaked like three days ago

Forums/reddits full of romance & animu character squealing

Search megathreads full of spoilers for "gameplay"

1 hit

:deathclaw:
I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of these people were introduced into the series with the gacha game.

Endemic

Arcane
Awakening probably brought in a lot of neophytes who weren't into the tactics part of the game, and just played on the easiest difficulty.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yes, it means that even more than usual, reviewer/player impressions are completely meaningless. All I want is an instaskip button for all the story and a decentish TB combat.

There's a guy who says it's great and it's like classic FE, and then says:

For me, the best part is that most of the support conversations are better especially the main character ones.

:M

deuxhero

Arcane
Tigranes
Support convos have been in the series since the first official English release (7). The ones in 7, 8 and 9 are all actually quite well written and flesh out the characters of those games quite well, making up a large part of why those games have the enduring fandom they do. It's only when 13/14 had characters that were literally composed of a single gimmick and there to waifu that they became a problem.

Tigranes

Arcane
Oh I am well aware, I guess it just kills me that instead of gameplay thats what these people use to talk up its classic FE cred. Before I buy i just really want to hear whether its at least Conquest level combat.

Endemic

Arcane
The FE6-8 supports take so long to get you may as well Youtube them, especially considering the hard limit of 5 per character and playthrough. I think the GBA ROMs being easy to mod is why they're still played now (although I think vanilla FE6 has pretty good map design compared to the trio of games immediately following it).

Anyway, back to 3H. I dug these up from the leaked gameplay a couple days back:

Siege weapons are in:

siegewvpjq9.jpg

Edelgard starts with 13 strength and relatively high charm as well, hence having 24 in them at level 17. What's more interesting is that you can have two weapons equipped and there is a separate slot for tomes. Some of the abilities are passives, some active or command-based. The skills on the right are prerequisites for class changing (eg bow knight needs riding, lances and bows at a given proficiency).

edelgardstats9ija5.png

The level-up screen. Charm (CHA) buffs the attached "battalion" that can attack via the Gambit system. It's a special attack in practice, although visually it's reminiscent of a mosou game.

edel_levelqfkec.jpg

There area lot of JRPG-style quests at the academy. Fans of JRPGs like Persona will feel at home, since the calendar and time management aspects are used here.

jrpgmwk6x.jpg

Combat arts lower weapon durability faster, but give significant bonuses.

combatartszej3c.jpg

An early map on the Black Eagles route. "Defeat boss" is quite a common objective in 3 Houses. Although the map is rather chokepoint-heavy, terrain height does seem to have some effect on combat.

oilwaterf4kjj.jpg

Byleth after reclassing to mercenary. Skill experience works like weapon level from previous Fire Emblems. Healing items can still be stacked, and bows can have increased range on par with Gaiden/Echoes (some of this is from abilities).

bylethl4kqc.jpg

Enemy armour knight with a unique weapon that confers a magic-style ability.

banditarmorzqjqs.jpg

A mostly straightforward two-front map. You also need to keep the enemies out of the town area you start in, because that triggers a failure condition after a few turns.

shieldofgsk98.jpg

Keeping the green units alive is a bonus objective here. The split deployment zones force you to move quickly to the river to save them.

deathtoll65k5l.jpg

Combat forecast:

combat9gjjp.jpg

This is an indoor map with what appear to be warp tiles. Cavalry can stay mounted indoors, but have less in the speed stat to offset this. Pegasi have 1 less move than cavaliers.

tomb2ijxz.jpg

Branching path on the Black Eagle route. If I recall correctly, staying put will mean you side with the Church of Seiros over Edelgard, and prevents you recruiting a certain enemy unit.

brancht9kj9.jpg

This weapon synergizes with the named crest to increase health regeneration (there are many crests in the game that have different effects when equipped).

spear_atyk7x.jpg

Some skills from Fire Emblem Heroes make an appearance, such as Desperation.

desperationskillgeku9.jpg

You can cross the water on this map, apart from a few ocean tiles.

ocean2ik1s.jpg

Byleth masters the mercenary class by learning all related abilities.

byleth_mercskillo2j8s.jpg

This is the guy you can recruit if you side against the church:

ally_deathknighty3juq.jpg

Byleth's father joins him\her in combat here, and there are a few civilians to protect. Not sure what the reward is for keeping all of them alive, but Jeralt will comment on it after the battle.

remire6vjpg.jpg

The last map before the 5 year time skip (after which the houses are at war).

finalacademy7ek0e.jpg

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I just want someone to say the level design is good but I don't want to risk spoilers by digging too deeply.
EDIT: Well I looked at those spoilers above me and the maps look fine. A definite improvement over awakening and echoes. Didn't play any of Fates and don't want to. I've read enough to know I won't like it.

Endemic

Arcane
Give it a bit more time and some LPs on Youtube will be finished (including the other routes). Then we'll have a better idea of how good the combat is.

Ent

Savant
I wouldn't expect much difficulty wise atm seeing as how the famitsu article mentioned that lunatic will be a post launch free update and they didn't give a specific date.

deuxhero

Arcane
Haven't watched either yet, but I know these guys know their shit regarding Fire Emblem (like actually have mechanics and reinforcement locations/turns memorized, have completed a playthrough of the Japan only Maniac difficulty for 9) and regularly shits on Awakening and Fates and occasionally on trigger warnings.

Ent

Savant
I got the game last night and spent an hour fishing. This game is not good for my autism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom