Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Gregz

Arcane
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie to the cRPG genre and I was wondering if this game is right for me. So far, I have only played Fallout, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Dragon age: Origins and Pillars of Eternity 2, and I liked all of them, my favorite was Shadowrun. How hard is the game compared to these games? Also, does it have a lot of frustrating design choices? From what i've read people dont seem to like the backtracking and the slow walking speed, is that fixed? How long will it take me to go through the game? Also, is there a lot of situations where you dont know where to go and are just exploring until you stumble onto something that progresses the game?

Thank you in advance.

Walk speed has been increased but there's still lots of backtracking.

I wouldn't recommend this game to new players because it requires meta knowledge to plan your character, and you can easily wreck your build. Underrail is more difficult than any of the games you listed.

The game is huge, it's easy to get lost, and you'll find yourself encumbered (walk speed slows to a crawl) frequently. It's not newbie friendly, it's for the hardcore crowd who want a survival challenge.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Are difficult games never any good for newbies? Should everybody follow a linear course from easier to harder games? I would say that the fact that he even tried Fallout, and liked four quite different CRPGs, means he is a man of taste.

It would be no shame to walk away and try some other more immediately enticing games first - he should check out the Codex top RPGs list - but he will be back for Underrail, because it is quite simply too good.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Just wanted to ask if its worth it to go to Camp Hathor as psion, but instead ran there quickly and found a temporal mentor (not teacher) for sale. Nice. Nice ability too. Probably random shop inventory though.

This was a great dance of juggling fear-from-fire/stun/fear/mental-incap and forcefield and psibooster cooldowns.
Very happy with Pyromaniac.
lISclNM.png

I like how initiative is now at -1000 on map re-enter. I think my sniper/ar from release version just reentered the map for first strike and escaped indefinitely on this map.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It seems that the oculas quest is still bugged lol.
What do you think is bugged?
It seems that if you talk to the old man in the manor before getting the quest and the info from the two labs you can't advance the dialogue with him. He repeats go away traitor or something along those lines.
Never mind,it fixed itself after i did some of the optional stuff like catching a slug and fixing the monitor.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just finished every side quest in the original game and only the thvor university remained. So i decided that is time for my 26 level dude to go on a expedition. 5 minutes in and already want to decapitate the dick that is hiring me. The balls of that chad,threatening the invictus lol. Also 30 level cap feel perfect for the base game,it is shame that it wasn't in the original.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Is hard difficulty a good experience compared to normal? Just wondering if its the typical super painful early game but then by mid game once you can abuse economy its not much harder than normal (which seems to be how it works with a lot of games).

Not sure if I am in the mood for a grindy early game but I remember normal got a bit easy after awhile on my last playthrough.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Nothing grindy about early game hard, it's great imo. You have to use the tools at your disposal to get ahead

Jezal_k23

I just finished every side quest in the original game and only the thvor university remained. So i decided that is time for my 26 level dude to go on a expedition. 5 minutes in and already want to decapitate the dick that is hiring me. The balls of that chad,threatening the invictus lol. Also 30 level cap feel perfect for the base game,it is shame that it wasn't in the original.

I'm thinking you might stomp the content at level 26. And then stomp DC too later at level 30.

Jezal_k23

I believe so. Personally I'd find it boring just to stomp over everything in the expansion, but to each their own.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wait what? I tried rolling with 15 Pers and it wasn't enough. Maybe you need something like 20 with INT bonus?!

Chances are, you put on your beginning rathound armor, which decreases Persuasion enough to fail most of the start-of-game checks. Smelling like fermented rat sweat is a real killer.

ive recomended at some point to coworker underrail and aod. Aod got discarded, underrail ended up played a lot.

In retrospect underrail is very good at hooking people in it. I do not understand what it is but people get interested in various aspects and spend time to learn more. Its quite even experience, you might hit a wall but it will be many hours later. At that point you can quit or start over, either way you will get your entertainment.

Regarding new players "getting into" Underrail:

Eh, what? I gave this to a little relative and she's having no trouble at all - very accessible, in a good way. I'm having trouble seeing how anyone could rate it as difficult.

That's probably because she's a child who hasn't been conditioned to play games that lead you by the hand every step of the way.

I stumbled upon that insight (i.e. that modern gamers have been conditioned into their shit tastes) when I gifted Underrail and AoD to a British Steam friend of mine. He's spent almost all of his gaming lifetime playing proper hard competitive and cooperative first-person shooters, and had had little or no experience playing RPGs.

He didn't find Underrail difficult or "inaccessible" at all, and finished two playthroughs handily. He hasn't started in on AoD yet, but I'm sure he'll get around to it.

Here's my British first-person shooter Steam buddy—who'd barely played an RPG in his life up until recently—playing the copy of AoD I bought for him months ago right around the time AoD hit 1.0. He booted it up with no further urging from me since I gifted it, and he's been at it for a few days now. He sank 100+ hours into Underrail, too.

He also played Fallout and Fallout 2 at some point I'm unaware of.

This reaffirms my theory that people are trained to expect decline and therefore ruined, incapable of appreciating incline. When not tainted by the decline, a fresh face quickly learns to enjoy actual RPGs that are difficult and complicated.

Taste for decline must be learned. If not preconditioned to decline, fresh faces will take to incline like fish to water.

Drowed

Arcane
So... I explored all of Nexus of Technology (except that room where you have the musical puzzle because fuck that thing), and there's no option to tell Oldfield what I found there? Do you have to pick any very specific items or do some very specific thing in order for that option to appear? I think I did everything I could and practically looted almost everything that wasn't nailed on the floor.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I’ve heard some people mention there are psi boosting weapons now, is that something you can craft or is it only on unique items?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Almost 5 years later and the fact that saving the train still locks you out of the free drones quest line is still infuriating

Jezal_k23

Almost 5 years later and the fact that saving the train still locks you out of the free drones quest line is still infuriating

I'll agree that this really needed a fix.

Also is it worth crafting shock machete or is it always better to go for vanilla?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
which vendors without mercantile give highest quality crafting stuff? Mainly interested in cloth, padding and electronics

I guess all merchants upgrades after certain plot points, at least at SGS they upgrades at least two times.
Without Mercantile - Institute, Oligarchs (Coretech), Oculus.

three pointer, ripper, skinner, clothier, paranoia, sprint

Probably ex-NBA star, former athlete, who become paranoid, and now is a maniac - killing innocent people, skining them, and like sewing clothes form their skin.
Yeah... that's a profile... too much cocaine I guess?

it only on unique items

Also is it worth crafting shock machete or is it always better to go for vanilla?

Well, additional damage - why it can be bad?

Jezal_k23

I don't know, for some reason I thought adding something special might take away mechanical damage or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom