Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Super Robot Wars V and X coming to PC/Switch

Silentstorm

Learned
I have to admit, i didn't see this coming, for those who are unaware, Super Robot Wars is a kinda Fire Emblem like series, only it revolves around robots, it started as a purely crossover game between Gundam, Mazinger and Getter Robo(the latter two being popular franchises in Japan) without much story, but it eventually got bigger and bigger, with each game having their own villains and characters to a point where they have made games based entirely on the original characters.

But the main series still revolves around the crossover aspects, and the story is treated seriously, let's just say, Super Robot Wars is well known in Japan for having a lot of plot and dialogue, i think there are big budget Visual Novels with a lot of routes that have less dialogue than the average Super Robot Wars game, they really go all out to tell an epic story even if they have many characters from different series.

Though this meant that the West didn't get those games, at best we got some Original Generations games for the GBA and a spin-off JRPG version for the DS, all the other games didn't get translated because, well, licensing rights are a bitch and there would be A LOT of story to translate anyways, that being said, starting with the PS3 era, the developer decided to release the games in Japan with an english translation as an option just to appease fans, and while the translations were...questionable, they did start getting better, but who cares, because the series is finally coming to PC!

If you ever wanted to have the Evangelion angels defeated by Gundams or all kinds of robots, then you can finally do that, want to see the world attacked by dozens of villains with armies being stopped by a ragtag group of people with all kinds of robots and technology, there you go!

It's just a series i never thought would come to PC, but i am glad it's coming, and yes, it's mostly Fire Emblem, though there are some different mechanics...and there are no critical strikes but Dynamic Kills instead, SRW says "Fuck your character sometimes doing a cooler and bigger animation if you're lucky, you only get the really cool and big animation when you actually kill an enemy, that animation is a reward for you being competent, not out of sheer luck!" which i think is cool.

Anyways, here is a video of two units from the games, the first being from a 90's anime, and the other being a revamped mecha for a series made in the 70's after the developer thought the original robot was way too outclassed and actually asked the original designer to go ahead and make a whole new upgrade with them creating a new story for said upgrade:

laclongquan

Arcane
Not much tactic from what I can tell.

And from my brief glances, it's like FMV attacks after FMV attacks.

WHile that's still good, it require OTHER aspect for it to be fun and playable.

Will wait until some LP.

Silentstorm

Learned
Yeah, ever attack is a FMV one though they can be skipped, and depending on the game there is tactics, since every pilot and mecha has their own traits and abilities, parts to buy, stats to upgrade and such, though since the PS1 Era, the series became quite easy though i hear the newer games have a Hard Mode to combat that.

I mean, the SNES games could be brutal, particularly the last bosses who tended to be amazingly cheap, but the series started as one where you would constantly be underleveled, underpowered, and earn little money to upgrade anything, not helping that to improve each stat or each individual weapon, you had to spend money, though later games made it so you upgrade all weapons at a time.

But it's more of a spectacle game with a lot of dialogue, particularly the PS2 Era and quite a few games afterwards, particularly W for the DS, where your units could be strong you could genuinely solo the game with each individual unit except for two really weak ones, a stark contrast from the SNES and PS1 games where enemies had strengths and weaknesses and could have barriers blocking a lot of powerful weapons making you have to consider position and even rely on weak units and weapons for healing or dealing some minor damage to bosses, the games would even limit the strongest attacks of some robots the entire game, i think SRW 4 had a powerful robot whose strongest attack could only be used 4 times the entire game because it put a lot of pressure on the pilot, with said pilot and robot even being undeployable in the last mission if you wasted those attacks, at the PS2 Era, though, the pressure thing is entirely forgotten and you could use that attack as much as you wanted.

...Oh God, is Super Robot Wars one of those series that just got easier and easier!

Falksi

Arcane
There's only 1 Robot Wars!

robot_wars_new_presenters.jpg

mogwaimon

Magister
This is pretty amazing news. Did they get the rights issues sorted and it's actually coming out in English in the West on Steam, or is this going to be more like getting machine translated HK versions of that SRW Moon side game on PS4? I guess if they could put out games like Jump Vs and Jump Force in the west officially, they might have been able to get things sorted. Would be nice to get official translations of older games in the series if that's the case...

Silentstorm

Learned
Yeah, anyways, they are not the deepest games, but i do like me some mecha stuff and games with robots that insane are not as common as i would like, so it's worth it even just as a spectacle game, so i will be getting those two, plus, if they sell well, we may get other games, including the most recent one that has Mazinger Z Infinity in it!

From the movie with the same name!

T also has Cowboy Bepop and songs from that series including the opening but who cares about Cowboy Bepop and the chance to play with Spike?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This is pretty amazing news. Did they get the rights issues sorted and it's actually coming out in English in the West on Steam, or is this going to be more like getting machine translated HK versions of that SRW Moon side game on PS4? I guess if they could put out games like Jump Vs and Jump Force in the west officially, they might have been able to get things sorted. Would be nice to get official translations of older games in the series if that's the case...

Nah, it is released in Asia with English just like the console version iirc. It probably comes into countries like SG and HongKong or something like that.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Dead or alive xtreme was locked too. You just need to use a VPN.

It is against Steam TOS though, buying stuff outside of your region. Maybe you can do it once or twice, but thats risking a ban perhaps? Maybe use a burner account or something.

Jinn

Arcane
I would really like to play these. Hope they make it further to the west.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I would really like to play these. Hope they make it further to the west.

Honestly very unlikely. The reason SRW main series will never make it anywhere states side is the fact that the animes included in the games are all being held by different company for distribution, It will be licensing nightmare to bring the series officially to the west.

The Asian English was one way to circumvent that because in modern consoles there are no region lock so people in US oir EU could import the stuffs.

Kinda funny now that we have PC gaming getting region locked while people with consoles could play whatever.

lightbane

Arcane
Well then, pirating is it then. I wonder if Fitgirl or others will have it by the time it launches...

Silentstorm

Learned
Yeah, not seeing anyway of playing it other than pirating it when it comes to PC, though i think PS4 and Switch gamers have more ways to get around this and play the game in legal ways.

The Decline

Arcane
Yeah, not seeing anyway of playing it other than pirating it when it comes to PC, though i think PS4 and Switch gamers have more ways to get around this and play the game in legal ways.

The PS4 Asia English versions work on a US console without any problems. The only issue is that you have to create an asian PSN account if you want get any of the dlc.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I hope they would port Moon Dwellers too. And being OG series it could come states/EU side too.

kalganoat

Savant
I've only watched a few robot anime like some gundam series, eva, full metal panic etc so most of the licensed SRW don't have any appeal to me. I just don't like the goofy 70s/80s japanese robot design.

They should localize OGS and 2OG. No licensed anime so worldwide release is possible. The robots in there are cool, story is very interesting. It would be a shame if those two games are stuck on PS2 and PS3 forever.

Silentstorm

Learned
I've only watched a few robot anime like some gundam series, eva, full metal panic etc so most of the licensed SRW don't have any appeal to me. I just don't like the goofy 70s/80s japanese robot design.

They should localize OGS and 2OG. No licensed anime so worldwide release is possible. The robots in there are cool, story is very interesting. It would be a shame if those two games are stuck on PS2 and PS3 forever.
Honestly, the appeal is giant robots, i haven't seen a lot of mecha anime and i still end up just trying robots out, then again, i like goofy design, probably helps that some of these goofy design series are actually better than a lot of the more realistic stuff.

Sorry, but Zambot 3 is just a better show than quite a few Gundam series, and i am counting UC Gundam in that, honestly though, the goofy robots tend to have more varied and interesting attacks than taking out some machine guns or firing some rockets and only doing some moving around in the best attacks.

Then again, i am the kind of crazy person that thinks rocket punches and swords used by giant metallic weapons are cooler than just guns or some laser rifles which is what a lot of the less goofy designed robots tend to use.

lightbane

Arcane
Good news! For those who cannot buy the Asian version, the game is available in a totally trial version in certain places, if you're not an IIGnorant. The GIRL known for FITness is also preparing a repack, so that everyone can play it properly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom