Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkest Dungeon-Like Iratus: Lord of the Dead - Darkest Dungeon clone where you play the bad guy

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Released:

Why Early Access?

“We value the tactical variety that Iratus: Lord of the Dead provides to our players. The game offers a lot of replayability: you can craft different minions and even evolve their skills in unique ways, invest your resources into a variety of separate systems and so on. Early Access gives players the chance to familiarize themselves with these mechanics so that once we release the full version of the game, they can already be true masters and attempt to complete a playthrough on the highest difficulty level!

Furthermore, balancing a complex game like Iratus is a challenging task. By making the game available to players, we open the floodgates for lots of feedback and data on how to fine-tune the game balance as development continues.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“Early Access enables us to develop Iratus iteratively with the help of our community. Iratus will stay in Early Access until the planned content and features have been implemented and the game is fully balanced. As a result, we plan to release the full version between April and June 2020. We will further evaluate and define the date more precisely as the development advances.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“The most important features that await players in the full version are new levels with new enemies and, of course, the conclusion of our narrative. Also, we will be adding a few extra minions… (But hush! That’s still a secret!)”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“All core gameplay features are complete and implemented. Iratus currently has three unique dungeon floors to overcome—as well as 16 minions under his command, providing players with almost 100 abilities! Using these tools the necromancer will attempt to defeat the resistance that awaits him: alchemically enhanced miners, greedy dwarves and corrupt mercenaries!”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

“Possibly. We evaluate the pricing regularly as the game gains features, expands in scope and moves toward full release. The game's price may be increased moderately when big content updates expand the game in a major way.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

“Iratus has always been a community effort and that doesn't change with Early Access. We are always open to community suggestion for changes or new content ideas and requests either on the forums and discussion boards or in direct communication on our Discord server. Early Access players can report issues, submit ideas for new characters, mechanics, skills and make feature requests. We also have Facebook and VK pages where you can get in touch with us and express your thoughts and ideas.”

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
ss_84b91c68fc8f2725535e26c39bcf1a7eeace6329.1920x1080.jpg

This deep diver space marine dwarf looks pretty cool.
I remember trying the demo and enjoying it's gameplay more than darkest dungeon.

Jinn

Arcane
Definitely very interested, but I will rarely buy early access games these days unless they are very close to releasing because

1. Don't want to spoil my initial experience with a game in its unfinished state.

and

2. Risk the chance of it never getting actually finished even after it's officially "released."

That said, I will be keeping a close eye on this one and will probably grab it in EA closer to release. Looks like it'll end up being a codex approved version of Darkest Dungeon when everything is said and done.

Sacibengala

Prophet
The style and art of darkest dungeons has more appeal to me, but if the gameplay in this game is better, i'm sold. Waiting for feedback.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I only played the early access of the ever famous DD so take my opinions with a pinch of salt. From what little i played of this one:

-Your undead minions are far more expendable than the humans, but you still want to keep your high level/rare parts undead alive if possible. There is a big difference between the skeleton who can punish enemies for stacking buffs and the skeleton who can't.
-You can find brains as an undead parts that allow the immediate level-up to certain level, making it very tempting to take the alchemist 50% chance increase of finding one.
-Relying on stressing the enemy is a bit of a risky tactic. Doesn't alway guarantee the death from a heart attack and there is a chance of them getting inspired instead.
-Iratus bride overwatch stance/Lich poison cloud/Wraith cheap ultimate ability that consumes wrath is a pretty strong combo.
-Darkest Dungeon does indeed have more appealing art, but i do like the character designs here.
-There is already plenty of new minions added compared to the demo. I am yet to unlock those though.

Renevent

Cipher
Just FYI there is a mechanic that wipes your party if you exit the game mid-battle. It's supposed to stop alt+f4'ing when things are going badly, but it also wipes your entire party if you crash as well. Being that this is beta/early access not sure this is a great mechanic, and it already happened once to me. I believe Darkest Dungeon has a similar mechanic, though if I remember correctly it just plops you right back into the battle you are about to lose.

Game is cool though, nice graphics, good animations, and I like that it appears to have more options for character customizations and leveling/spells/etc.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Don’t do EA since I dont use Steam but Day One Purchase when it is released on GOG; love Darkest Dungeon and Dungeon Keeper so this is right up my alley

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
1. Don't want to spoil my initial experience with a game in its unfinished state.

Yea I am real tempted to throw my money at this, but if I buy it gonna be hard not to play it until closer to release...

Looks like it'll end up being a codex approved version of Darkest Dungeon when everything is said and done.

DD is already good, it doesnt need the Codex hivemind to "approve" it. Im happy for another DD style game, and at least from first impressions this looks good.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
0xrgUMi.jpg

I wasn't that impressed by the mummy yet, but these witch-king looking shades are pretty damn strong. Especially in a party focused on stress damage.

AshenNedra

Novice
Hi guys, I don't know if any devs are reading this thread but there is a French streamer who found a party composition which pretty much breaks the game: two liches, one lost soul and one specter with a bunch of Parades and Auspices on every char.

https://www.twitch.tv/krayn_live

He is steamrolling the game.

The combo uses cloud from Lich on every four squares then shuffles the enemies around with the Specter. The chars are pretty much untouchable due to protections and everything dies from stress in three or four rounds, on hard mode.
A nerf seems to be necessary.

overtenemy

Augur
Reporting in to say game owns hard. My one issue with it is that unlocking minions seems like a very artificial way to handle progression since they unlock across all games. When I first started, I immediately left cakewalk difficulty to play on normal. Got my ass beat, many times. Thought the game was insane. Unlocked lich. Proceeded to win immediately.

edit: Lich is also broken as hell with zombie and the spell that makes you always crit. The zombie spends one or two rounds buffing himself, then the lich and zombie use delay to get the lich to have him buffed twice. Then he ults something. Can't miss because More Powder gives +20 accuracy each time, block doesn't work because crits ignore blocks, and the damage is too high for armor to be relevant. Highest crit I did was on the pyromancer for about 480.

DOUBLE EDIT Another thing is that even after completing that entire run I don't have access to every minion. On account of this I couldn't build the graveyard all the way since every level of a building requires a specific type of minion to sacrifice. Wish they'd get rid of the unlocking unless it's going to be run specific.

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
hMxoxkZ.png

The game definitely needs to think a bit more about it's minion unlock thing. The game is way easier once you can get certain minions from the start.
I managed to unlock the majority of them.

Shade has a stance that punishes enemy with a stress damage equall or more to the amount the enemy deals and the ability to deal damage directly proportional to how low the enemy is on sanity(not as high as super charged zombie crits but still high). His ultimate is a good source of damage combined with the enemy moving guys like specter.
Vampire needs to activate his ult in order to get the lifesteal on attack, he is very strong once it's activated. Can render wards useless.
Head hunter feels just okay. Mostly a pure phys.damage frontliner with the gimmick being the lack of precise targeting.
Lost soul is one of those fun types that buffs the enemies with his attacks and attacks your allies with heals. His ultimate removes the enemy buffs/debuffs and increase your team damage depending on how many you removed, which kinda compensates for all the pain his other abilities can cause to you.
Blood Phantasm is a jack-of-all-trades type, he can be placed anywhere on your team. Can heal his allies on hit, prolong debuffs, crit two enemy frontliners and etc. Yet to figure out a trully effective combo with him.
Fallen dampire is not as big on lifesteal as vampire, but in exchange she gets a counter-strike stance and two damaging ultimates that can render phys/magical armor useless. The conditions to get one are fun and doesn't require specking into magic tree like vampire.

Another good way to defeat the pyromancer(early access last boss) is to add two mummies into your backline. They can easily clean all of the annoying burns and after stacking enough bad luck drain the boss stress bar with the ult in a couple of turns.

Trash Player

Scholar
The unlock across all saves thing turn me off big time. I didn't quite expect the roguelite element. Unfrozen still deserves my d1p.

Discrepancy in power between minions is expected in this stage and inevitable by design, there are simply too many to balance.
It is still nice to see niche minions performing well in boss fights due to predictability. On the other hand, they are like puzzles with dice.

Strategically, it is better than I thought in some aspect but expectedly a mess in some as expected.
Attrition keeps the A team from snowballing harder than it is and suicide mission is a very tempting solution in GAW.
Parts economy is right in the dynamics and gold with a few tweaks. Town building is vestigial and tacked on like I feared though.
It does little what leveling could not accomplish and introduce an additional currency that is superfluous.
Plus there are econ generators, one that can generate the building currency. That introduces some boring accountantcy in strategies.

All in all, it is a steal if you like this subgenre, hard to find a better offering.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Discrepancy in power between minions is expected in this stage and inevitable by design, there are simply too many to balance.

Lol, no. It's such a cuckold-ish notion - paying to beta-test the game, all while supporting and lauding the devs.

And mind you, I'm speaking this as a mastermind behind the game who had designed 95% of its current mechanics and pretty much everything that's actually good about the game. If I wasn't kicked out of the project at the start of this year for dubious reasons, we're talking about 2-3 months to balance it all flawlessly, so there's none of this shit at the start. But no, they're too stingy to pay me any money at all, so they kick me and hire some gunsel and the result will be this game never being balanced 'cause they're fucking clueless on what they're doing.

But no, let's support those guys, they care about you so much, they're so amazing!!!

overtenemy

Augur
This sounds pretty juicy. Care to give more details? I was hoping various oddities would be fixed since the game is as good as it is already but you seem to think this won't ever happen now that you're gone.

Codexer insider shits on the game. Time to get refunds?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom