Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Codex Year of the Donut
Why the fuck do I get such satisfaction from triggering Biodrones? Is it because they take the shitty "lore" so seriously, I don't know, but I really ought to stop.

OH GOD THAT FUCKING SONG, HOW CAN ANYONE TAKE THIS SHIT SERIOUSLY?
121.png

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Yeah but with cringe turned up to 11.

Yeah, that was random. But it fitted the character, because Leliana had a few screws loose right from the beginning.

Leliana(Kills people in tavern, totally bloodsplattered and smiling): I want to join you, because the voice in my head told me so!

Warden: Well...we do need some cannon fodder.

Alistair: And some piece of ass, besides Morrigan.

Morrigan: I will castrate you and then burn you, Alistair... It's how I show you my love

Warden: Yes, you will perfectly fit in the group!

Dragon Age: Origins was a mess, writingwise.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Yeah, but in this case it was especially jaring and weird. I mean, I could've met her at a church, where the whole "I spoke with god"- thing could have gave it more context, than that random crazy lady, that wants to join me, while the guts of my last victim still stick to her face. It's all about the placing of a character.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty sure she said she was following you or at least noticed you when you first entered the little village. Even if you don't go into the church, you still pass near it; a heavily armed party with what seems to be a renegade mage is hard not to notice.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Well... "most people" sided with the mages both in Dragon Age II and Dragon Age: Inquisition. Just shows how many retards are out there (for those of you who don't remember/didn't play, Dragon Age II especially beats you over the head with how much of a bad idea is to leave mages uncontrolled, and yet, most people chose them because "muh empathy"). For God's sake, the First Enchanter in Dragon Age II covered for a blood mage who later on MURDERED YOUR MOTHER, and still those morons took their side.

What? Siding with the templars in Dragon Age 2 made no sene. Either you were a mage and directly endangered or your sister was a mage and the whole game was about Hawke trying to protect his family. In Inquisition Templars have lost it completely and kill anyone is could be a mage, what are they even trying to accomplish wipe out magic? Good luck with that because mages are born all the time. If you side with the mages you can still arrest them and force them into the circle again so there is really no reason to go to the Templars. Especially since the have one of the best quests in the whole game. The only part where the violence was not started by the Templars was in Origin since the Mages in the Calenhad circle rebelled without good reason.

Codex Year of the Donut
Mages need to be kept in check but the templars have repeatedly shown they are not fit to do it and are arguably as big of a problem as unchecked mages are.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
What? Siding with the templars in Dragon Age 2 made no sene. Either you were a mage and directly endangered or your sister was a mage and the whole game was about Hawke trying to protect his family. In Inquisition Templars have lost it completely and kill anyone is could be a mage, what are they even trying to accomplish wipe out magic? Good luck with that because mages are born all the time. If you side with the mages you can still arrest them and force them into the circle again so there is really no reason to go to the Templars. Especially since the have one of the best quests in the whole game. The only part where the violence was not started by the Templars was in Origin since the Mages in the Calenhad circle rebelled without good reason.

Mages need to be kept in check but the templars have repeatedly shown they are not fit to do it and are arguably as big of a problem as unchecked mages are.

Say what you want about those games, but is has now been five years since the last one and we are still discussing this topic. So they did at least one thing right (and I still think, that DA2 tells a good story, except the last parts of the endings. Because those are non-choices, where both sides are "equally bad." Chickens).

Cael

Arcane
Yeah but with cringe turned up to 11.

Yeah, that was random. But it fitted the character, because Leliana had a few screws loose right from the beginning.

Leliana(Kills people in tavern, totally bloodsplattered and smiling): I want to join you, because the voice in my head told me so!

Warden: Well...we do need some cannon fodder.

Alistair: And some piece of ass, besides Morrigan.

Morrigan: I will castrate you and then burn you, Alistair... It's how I show you my love

Warden: Yes, you will perfectly fit in the group!

Dragon Age: Origins was a mess, writingwise.

You actually don't have to make up stuff that much with that particular scenario, actually.

After killing all but one of Loghain's men and sending that guy scurrying off in search of new underpants.
Leiliana: Allow me to introduce myself. I am Leiliana, a lay sister here at the Chantry, and I would like to go with you.
Warden: Whut?
Leiliana: The Maker told me to, and I am coming along.
Alisatair: More crazy? I thought we were full up.
Warden: No.
Leiliana: What? But the Maker-
Warden: Don't care. Go away.

As you are about to leave Lothering via the Imperial Highway, you run into Leiliana again.
Leiliana: Please, you must let me join you.
Warden: No!
Alistair: Aw, come on. She isn't that bad. Sure she is a little crazy, but she doesn't seem like "Muahahaha! I am Princess Stabbity! Stab, kill, kill!"
Warden: (Choice between "Fine!" and "I'll stab, kill, kill you. No!")

Absinthe

Arcane
DA2 tells a shit story. Every side is insane and retarded. The fact that people still talk about how stupid the plot was does not mean that it must've been a good story since people are still talking about it.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
DA2 tells a shit story. Every side is insane and retarded. The fact that people still talk about how stupid the plot was does not mean that it must've been a good story since people are still talking about it.

Eeeh, I think tit build itself upon quite good, with pro and contras, while also keeping one truth in mind: where there's hate, reason fails (also: you can't sit this shit out, when your city is in danger to be burned down). They had their theme and they build their story and quests around that. At least there was a theme. DA:O for me is still just "Stuff happens and then we get a decent grand finale, but without any feeling of build-up."

jf8350143

Liturgist
The mages and templars in DA 2 drive each other crazy. There was so many crazy blood mages (and red lyrim and quanari and shit) running around in that city it makes the templars going extreme, which makes the rest of the mages go more extreme, in the end there is no other solution but completely wipe each other out. All the hope of achieving some middle ground was lost when Anders bomb the church.

Their counter parts in DA:O was much more reasonable and tolerable.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
DA2 templars vs mages was mishandled very badly. It could've been interesting, but "the Devil Lyrium idol made me do it" ruined it.

Absinthe

Arcane
Eeeh, I think tit build itself upon quite good, with pro and contras, while also keeping one truth in mind: where there's hate, reason fails (also: you can't sit this shit out, when your city is in danger to be burned down). They had their theme and they build their story and quests around that. At least there was a theme. DA:O for me is still just "Stuff happens and then we get a decent grand finale, but without any feeling of build-up."
Your take is just bizarre to me. DAO had its share of issues, yes, but at least the plot was coherent. You had to build an army to defeat the blight, so you gather the army, then go to war against the blight. It's a straightforward narrative and all your sidequests are a natural consequence of you doing what you have to in order to get support. DA2 on the other hand was a long disjointed stream of "shit happens and I guess you're involved" with Qunari and whatever-the-fuck while it veers towards Mage-Templar conflict again.

The Templar leader went insane due to the influence of red lyrium.
The entire problem with DA2 is how many fucking lunatics and/or idiots there were. Orsino, Meredith, Anders, Bartrand, Isabella, Quentin, and the list goes on.

Before that she was reasonable, and only after A MAGE BLEW UP THE CHANTRY, killing hundreds of innocent people, did she decide to annul the Circle (she didn't make that up, this is a legit right she held).
Problems:

1. Anders is opposed to the Templars... so instead of going after them, he blows up the church instead to force a bad situation for the mages.
2. Anders is not a circle mage, so... the circle got annulled over the actions of an apostate. If anything Anders would pose an argument for why all Mages should have oversight no matter how much they bitch and moan, not why the circle should be put to the sword.
3. The amount of lunatic Templars in DA2.

No, Meredith is a dumbass. She's got some screws loose for sure.

Edit 2: To those saying Meredith was always crazy: she knew full well both that Hawks is an apostate AND about Anders, yet due to their good deeds decided to overlook that.
Anders made little sense. Hawke was ostensibly too politically powerful and generally influential for her to jail, which brings its own slew of problems because Hawke never exercises any of the power or responsibilities he has as nobility. But the real reason why Meredith overlooks an apostate Hawke is because Bioware could not be fucked to have actual C&C. Your character can be a blood mage in DA2 and no one reacts, despite how utterly ridiculous that is.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Merrill practices blood magic and demon summoning.
Did you play Inquisition? It goes into how blood magic isn't inherently evil and stuff like that.

Also if you got to know Merrill then you'd realize she's probably the sanest mage in the game, aside from Bethany.

Cael

Arcane
Blood magic is only considered bad by the people in charge like guns in pre-Meiji Japan. Whether it is or not is rather open to interpretation, just as guns are in general.

One thing that people keep overlooking is that the templars were using "failed" mages as their personal sex slaves. There were also suggestions that potentially troublesome mages were deliberately broken before they can become a problem, which goes against what the Harrowing is about. All in all, the templars in Kirkwall were fucked up even before Merideth turned it up to 11.

DayofBlow

Educated
Then there was an EA earnings call in 2015 where they had to explain the below-expectations sales of a few franchises, among them Dragon Age
EA had above-average sales and attributed it to DAI
Yeah, right after FIFA and Madden, fucker. I dug up the PDF for the quarter, and it is as embarrassing as I remembered. FIFA/Madden and related material get constant mentions % increases and # placements on sales charts, and then they turn to DAI and go "BESTERESTEST LAUNCH, 113 MILLION HOURS PLAY, BTW 32 GOTY BITCHES", without saying a single tangible thing about actual/relative sales performance. Trust us, it did great though. Good accounting.

The reason why people doubted sales performance to begin with is because of the "best launch" buzzwords, since all trackable metrics showed that DAI was nowhere near selling more than ME3 did in the same period, which was Bioware's biggest launch at that point, so at the very least there had to be some unsaid qualifier going along with it. Ex. 'best launch' meaning 'best launch on a new generation', in which case DAI is against ME1 and KotOR. Oh wait, you have lead faggot producer's tweet that says it sold the besterestestestest ever. Hard stuff.

You remind me of the people that said Telltale Games must be doing great, since they were a garbage heap for every IP imaginable. People not afflicted with retardation took one look at sales metrics going back several years, saw sales drop off a cliff after Walking Dead S2&Wolf Among Us and were baffled the company still existed. Appealing to the authority of PR bullshit and tweets against deductions made based on available data certifies you as :retarded:.

Cael

Arcane
Blood mages are driven to do things in order to survive. The Mage Collective quest in DAO had you saving the relatives of blood mages because arresting them and throwing them in jail for the crime of being related to a blood mage is the done thing. And this is in Ferelden, which is like the America to the rest of the world's Catholic Europe. Imagine what it would be like to be a blood mage in such an atmosphere.

While most of them fall to doing crazy stuff to survive, DAO actually had a few groups that weren't doing anything other than minding their own business until you came along. Like that blood mage house in Denerim itself. You pick up a note from a dead templar and BAM! Warden is in da haus to clean haus! And what were they doing? Hiding from the templars. Same with the group in the Brecillian Forest. They were minding their own business until you bust in there and blew them away. And then we have that idiot from the mage origin, J-whatisname. He is a blood mage who goes around rescuing people and helping them.

Blood magic had never been portrayed to be anything other than a source of power. Like any source of power, it can be used for good or ill. And remember this: Good stay out of the limelight because being in the limelight means instant death. Evil shows up on the radar and get noticed. To say that blood mages are Evil is classic confirmation bias.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom