Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

Why is there so much Persona-esque school bullshit in Three Houses? I'm two hours in and I've only been through a single battle. I thought this was a strategy game.

Twizman

Scholar
Been looking through different lp's trying to find gameplay, most of the time it's just talking. Got to episode 4 on one playthrough and it was the first fight (a training exercise). Unfortunately reminding me (so far) of when I started Persona IV and it took 5+ hours to get through the opening story and cutscenes.

Endemic

Arcane
Why is there so much Persona-esque school bullshit in Three Houses? I'm two hours in and I've only been through a single battle. I thought this was a strategy game.

Except you're the teacher this time. :P

The academy part of the game ends after the first 12 or so battles.

Ent

Savant
The support conversations are a lot better in this game. They actually wrote unique dialogue akin to the GBA games which blows the fill in the blank drivel from the 3DS games out of the water.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Haven't watched either yet, but I know these guys know their shit regarding Fire Emblem (like actually have mechanics and reinforcement locations/turns memorized, have completed a playthrough of the Japan only Maniac difficulty for 9) and regularly shits on Awakening and Fates and occasionally on trigger warnings.

I have watched LPs from both and Mekkah is way better than Mangs imo -- both in terms of player skill and personality.

Bonerbill

Augur
Haven't watched either yet, but I know these guys know their shit regarding Fire Emblem (like actually have mechanics and reinforcement locations/turns memorized, have completed a playthrough of the Japan only Maniac difficulty for 9) and regularly shits on Awakening and Fates and occasionally on trigger warnings.

Even though I fought both of these faggots for years on the FE forums and reddits, I'll admit that both of them (and DonDon) know their stuff when it comes to FE.

Endemic

Arcane
I fucking hate growth RNG

That could easily be fixed by having stat bracketing (eg, having a minimum of 8 speed and maximum of 10 at level 10 for a given class\unit). Berwick Saga and probably some other SRPGs that I can't recall used that approach.

deuxhero

Arcane
Endemic
FE9 actually has an option for that on the second+ playthrough. They did some weird stuff on top of it (like growth rates altered slightly by what you wield and kill) though.

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, I just learned, although I think everybody knew for a while, that the Intent system means you can try to move somewhere, and it'll telegraph how the enemies will pounce on you next turn??

The rewind feature I can just ignore, but what the fuck? Doesn't that make this game completely trivial? Someone enlighten me from my ignorance

Ent

Savant
You can pretty accurately predict where an enemy unit is going to attack in the first place if you've played enough fire emblem games. I do like how you can see an outline of how much the enemy does damage wise when inspecting the lines instead of needing to pull up their stats.

deuxhero

Arcane
Yeah, the AI in FE is pretty predictable for an experienced player and understanding its quirks is actually needed in higher difficulties. Merely deobfuscating a game mechanic is hardly decline.

Endemic

Arcane
OK, I just learned, although I think everybody knew for a while, that the Intent system means you can try to move somewhere, and it'll telegraph how the enemies will pounce on you next turn??

That depends on whether the AI was changed for 3H. From what I've heard so far, they act as groups\formations more often, although the multi-tile monsters are still predictable.

Tigranes

Arcane
Of course, you used to just keep checking enemy movement tiles and stats and estimating whether they'd attack & their damage, so if it's just about shortcutting that, fine, that's arguably a QOL thing. But combined with rewind mechanic I am/was afraid it's going to be another casualising mechanic.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Of course, you used to just keep checking enemy movement tiles and stats and estimating whether they'd attack & their damage, so if it's just about shortcutting that, fine, that's arguably a QOL thing. But combined with rewind mechanic I am/was afraid it's going to be another casualising mechanic.

Thing is when you try to send people to be pounced cause "My Myrmidon will avoid 'em all anyway" and proceed to get the unit killed what most people do is restarting the chapter/turn anyway unless people are on self-imposed challenge.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Huh, so they really do completely remove the weapon triangle from gameplay that I was watching.

Now this is more of deal breaker to me than the time rewind stuff. It means that the game is just some generic strategy RPG now considering the fundamental of the series combat is removed.

With how many weak fodders the enemy have in FE without weapon triangle there should be way to low risk in playing I think? Even on hard the game looks to be very easy.

Endemic

Arcane
It's not the weapon triangle that's a problem (it's only statistically significant in FE4). It's that player units turn into juggernauts that kill on enemy phase, and enemy offensive stats are too low.

From what I'm hearing so far, Byleth and the lords can just mow down most of the opposition themselves. A friend of mine has Byleth and Dmitri at level 17/18 after just 10 or so maps (including side ones).

Tigranes

Arcane
Wpn triangles I think do exist but only as a subsidiary system, and from what I've seen combat arts and other additions mean that you're going from a strategy game where the capacity of each unit is tightly defined, to units that have a variety of powers they can use - which easily runs the risk of overpowering players and giving them too many tools for any situation, as opposed to having to set things up just right.

Endemic

Arcane
That's not necessarily a bad thing if the AI has those tools and knows how to use them. Battalions being one example in 3H.

jungl

Augur
Fire emblem went from being a strategy tactics game to a game where one or two units can sweep a entire map. It basically turned into the super robot games. Where there is no tactics and you can grind maps till your guys strong enough to win. On one front they replaced their core audience for World of warcraft players and casual gamers that want steamroll stuff with their overpowered self insert profagtagonist. On another with anime fans with the waifu pandering and with the trendy school setting.

Nintendo went the Bethesda route with fire emblem. Replacing the niche 5-10% original fans with the 90% percent normie crowd.

IceyD

Scholar
this game looks a little shitty on the TV. and monastery exploration feels janky. i'm a little meh so far.

Vorark

Erudite
How are the mission objectives? Still focused on kill X or there's more variety this time? Things like seize the throne, protect X, escape and so on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom