Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Seeing Red

baturinsky

Arcane
"A short (anti)horror roguelike"

Game https://baturinsky.github.io/seeing-red/index.html

Source https://github.com/baturinsky/seeing-red

Screenshot
schreenshot-rc1.png

baturinsky

Arcane
Why write it in TypeScript?
Why not? It's very crossplatform, has all the traits of modern language (type inference etc) and has a ton of libraries for UI and networking. And there is a lib rot.js that has nearly everything that you nee for a small roguelike. Only other libs I had to use was svelte for UI and easystarjs because rot.js own pathfinder did not work with variable edge costs, and I needed that for mobs avoiding going near player.

baturinsky

Arcane
My English bad.

Also, I probably should add some tip after death. Such as "G and g are attracted by the smell of blood. Consider not killing everything on sight".

Insert Title Here
There is also "spirirt" instead of spirit in the letter.

Anyway seems interesting, idk what half this stuff does like the red butthurt meter. Didn't die, just ran away from everything and got the Denial ending.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there some sort of health and stats or something or the outcomes are random? Sometimes i manage to kill G, but often i just die. Also i got the denial ending too but i killed a bunch of monsters. I think it needs a manual :-P.

Btw there seems to be a bug where when two entities are about to move in the opposite direction the game doesn't register collision and they pass through each other.

baturinsky

Arcane
Denial (and anger) ending is the one you get with lots of killing. With few (near-zero) killing it's Depression or Bargain.

Outcomes are hinted, though maybe too subtly. You need as much as possible of hate for G and as little as possible of hate for g.

Entities passing through each other is intended. Unless it's you moving at them or G/g/e moving at you - then it's combat.

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Why write it in TypeScript?
Why not? It's very crossplatform, has all the traits of modern language (type inference etc) and has a ton of libraries for UI and networking. And there is a lib rot.js that has nearly everything that you nee for a small roguelike. Only other libs I had to use was svelte for UI and easystarjs because rot.js own pathfinder did not work with variable edge costs, and I needed that for mobs avoiding going near player.

Thanks. I figured most rougelikes would be written in a lower-level language, like C++.

baturinsky

Arcane
Roguelikes are one of the least CPU-intensive genres, so can be written on pretty much everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom