Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Your take is just bizarre to me. DAO had its share of issues, yes, but at least the plot was coherent. You had to build an army to defeat the blight, so you gather the army, then go to war against the blight. It's a straightforward narrative and all your sidequests are a natural consequence of you doing what you have to in order to get support. DA2 on the other hand was a long disjointed stream of "shit happens and I guess you're involved" with Qunari and whatever-the-fuck while it veers towards Mage-Templar conflict again.

Hmm, how to say this...I give it a try.

The difference between DA:O and DA2 for me is, that Origins may have the more straightforward premise, but if you look at the locations, only the Dwarves feel like they are connected to the bigger plot, the other locations could be standalone adventures and you wouldn't think, that they are part of the same plot. This is especially jaring, if you play the finally and you get the feeling that the plot has finally catched up after Ostagar.

DA2 on the other hand connects all its quests through some strong themes (Power, freedom, the evils of magic) and slowly builds up the bigger conflicts between the factions. It also feels episodic, but thanks to using those themes and connecting everything to the bigger conflict (including your companions) everything feels more coherent, which is also helped by living in one and the same city, you get to know over the years.

DA2 templars vs mages was mishandled very badly. It could've been interesting, but "the Devil Lyrium idol made me do it" ruined it.

I don't think that it was only the Red Lyrium, that made Meredith go crazy. The sword made only worse what was already there. She was already a controlfreak and a monster, but also ambitious and not stupid (that's why I think she allied herself even with Mage Hawke, because mages may be bad, but non-believer were burning down her city). And when Anders blew up the church and the only person who could stop her (that priestess, forgot the name), she took the chance and started to do what she always wanted to do: killing every mage in Kirkwall. The Lyrium made her just high and stronger and furthered her erratic behavior, because she was also a junkie.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
FIFA/Madden and related material get constant mentions % increases and # placements on sales charts, and then they turn to DAI and go "BESTERESTEST LAUNCH, 113 MILLION HOURS PLAY, BTW 32 GOTY BITCHES", without saying a single tangible thing about actual/relative sales performance. Trust us, it did great though. Good accounting.
That's what I meant, thanks. Don't mind Rusty, he is a hard-headed fanboy.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Blood magic isn't bad if you can control it. I don't think Merrill ever fucked up when using it and morrigan is also a blood mage.

What? She gets the Keeper of her tribe killed. And Morrigan is not a blood mage.
You may be into Baldur's Gate, but from reading this thread I will tell you this:

You don't know shit about Dragon Age. Also, anyone who considers themselves Lore Police and then gets all the lore wrong, should be demoted.

I dub thee, Calumet the Lore Cadet

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Eeeh, I think tit build itself upon quite good, with pro and contras, while also keeping one truth in mind: where there's hate, reason fails (also: you can't sit this shit out, when your city is in danger to be burned down). They had their theme and they build their story and quests around that. At least there was a theme. DA:O for me is still just "Stuff happens and then we get a decent grand finale, but without any feeling of build-up."
Your take is just bizarre to me. DAO had its share of issues, yes, but at least the plot was coherent. You had to build an army to defeat the blight, so you gather the army, then go to war against the blight. It's a straightforward narrative and all your sidequests are a natural consequence of you doing what you have to in order to get support. DA2 on the other hand was a long disjointed stream of "shit happens and I guess you're involved" with Qunari and whatever-the-fuck while it veers towards Mage-Templar conflict again.

The Templar leader went insane due to the influence of red lyrium.
The entire problem with DA2 is how many fucking lunatics and/or idiots there were. Orsino, Meredith, Anders, Bartrand, Isabella, Quentin, and the list goes on.

Before that she was reasonable, and only after A MAGE BLEW UP THE CHANTRY, killing hundreds of innocent people, did she decide to annul the Circle (she didn't make that up, this is a legit right she held).
Problems:

1. Anders is opposed to the Templars... so instead of going after them, he blows up the church instead to force a bad situation for the mages.
2. Anders is not a circle mage, so... the circle got annulled over the actions of an apostate. If anything Anders would pose an argument for why all Mages should have oversight no matter how much they bitch and moan, not why the circle should be put to the sword.
3. The amount of lunatic Templars in DA2.

No, Meredith is a dumbass. She's got some screws loose for sure.

Edit 2: To those saying Meredith was always crazy: she knew full well both that Hawks is an apostate AND about Anders, yet due to their good deeds decided to overlook that.
Anders made little sense. Hawke was ostensibly too politically powerful and generally influential for her to jail, which brings its own slew of problems because Hawke never exercises any of the power or responsibilities he has as nobility. But the real reason why Meredith overlooks an apostate Hawke is because Bioware could not be fucked to have actual C&C. Your character can be a blood mage in DA2 and no one reacts, despite how utterly ridiculous that is.

1. Anders IS a Circle Mage, an Apostate to be exact.
2. He blew up the Chantry's headquarters, not the Templars. 99% of the people he murdered had nothing to do with the whole mage/templar conflict.
3. When templars go full retard, mages suffer. When mages go full retard, everybody suffers - civilians... templars... clergy... other mages. The "Broken Circle" quest in Origins is a great first example of that.
4. The Circle got annuled due to the fact that blowing up a cathedral and murdering hundreds of innocent civilians was simply the straw that broke the camel's back. Kirkwall up to this point is overflowing with blood mages. You can't even go to a goddamn brothel and not meet one (for those who haven't played the game: this is a literal example. Even one of the whores in a brother is a blood mage. And no, she is not innocent).
5. Blood magic isn't evil? Outside of, potentially, the player character in each game, every single blood mage does fucked up shit: summoning demons, experimenting on humans, human sacrifice, mind controlling etc.
Why the fuck are you always arguing about the most retarded shit that nobody cares???? Everything after origin have shitty writing and nobody gives a two shits about the lore lol.

Cael

Arcane
Why the fuck are you always arguing about the most retarded shit that nobody cares???? Everything after origin have shitty writing and nobody gives a two shits about the lore lol.
It is one way a guy with a pathetic life tries to inject meaning into it.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Nah, a Pride Demon was going to free itself through the mirror portal and would posses Merril. Instead she get possessed and we kill her. Merill will be an abomination if not for her keeper.
The pride demon possessed the Keeper specifically because it thought it might fail to possess Merrill. Before the possession, the Keeper undoubtedly beat Merrill in the pride department.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Someone actually care about Dragon Age lore at this point? The codex never fail to impress me with the power of autism.
I am impressed at his authism tho,he is mentioning npcs and events that at this point i have no idea who they were. All i remember from that shitty game was that mages are evul blood magic retards and templars are just retards. Every single mage i saved was ""buahahah live is hard for mages buaguaogiasgnajkg i am now demon". The writing was sooooo fucking bad that it is painful to just think about it. Ohhh i also remember teleporting enemy that fall from the ceiling.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The only thing I remember about Dragon Age 2 is that at some point you have to rescue your zombie mom, after this... well... exotic storytelling, everything else isn't as memorable.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The only thing I remember about Dragon Age 2 is that at some point you have to rescue your zombie mom, after this... well... exotic storytelling, everything else isn't as memorable.
:shredder:
You had a mother??? I remember that you couldn't fuck your sister and that was the worst part of the game.
LoL, I remember, Bioware was all offended "Why those perverts want to fuck their sister?" after they made like a half dozen games that trained you to fuck everything that moved.:lol:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:shredder:
You had a mother??? I remember that you couldn't fuck your sister and that was the worst part of the game.

You don't like the game, yet are flooding its thread with posts. Are you that desperate for attention, or just stupid?
You are retarded......

rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png

rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png

rating_retarded.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png

rating_retarded.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png

rating_retarded.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png

rating_retarded.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
rating_retarded.png

rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
rating_retarded.png

rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
rating_retarded.png

rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
rating_retarded.png

rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
iseewhatyoudid.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png

rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png
rating_retarded.png

PS:
Ahh this thread is about the upcoming game not about da2,as i said you are retarded.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
OK. So you're stupid AND an attention whore. Now I can safely ignore you. Have a nice day.
Fuck off you stupid cunt,i should be the one that should ignore you. You go in every thread and spam post your garbage and argue the most retarded shit that nobody cares about for pages. I still have nightmares from you BG3 spat with Lilura ,fuck even Infinitron had to get involved so could finally shut up. Fucking attention whore. Thank god that i am not a dickless cunt like you to ignore actual posters.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Problems:

1. Anders is opposed to the Templars... so instead of going after them, he blows up the church instead to force a bad situation for the mages.
2. Anders is not a circle mage, so... the circle got annulled over the actions of an apostate. If anything Anders would pose an argument for why all Mages should have oversight no matter how much they bitch and moan, not why the circle should be put to the sword.
3. The amount of lunatic Templars in DA2.
Anders blowing up the church was the most interesting thing to happen in this entire franchise. It might not have been logical, but human beings don't always act 100% logically and in terms of drama, it was a pretty ballsy move. It forced a conflict not only of physical forces, but also of ideology. Yes, what Anders did was basically terrorism, but it's the spark to start a revolution. The problem, however, is that mages ARE dangerous and susceptible to possession and extreme displays of power that can and do hurt innocents; it feels like this was an issue of diplomacy and negotiations, rather than a full blown conflict. Meredith's reaction was premature and too hasty, given that Anders was indeed not a circle mage and the annulment of the circle was an unnecessary and knee-jerk reaction to the situation. The lyrium idol shouldn't have been introduced at all and it spoils any kind of interesting development and choices. It would've been very intriguing to explore Meredith's choices if she wasn't a crazed lunatic by the time the church was blown up.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Also, as my own two cents, I don't understand how anyone can justify not executing him. The man is completely broken from the inside, insane, possessed by a demon, unhappy, and has just murdered several hundred people, if not more, in addition to intentionally sparking an open civil war.

He also tricked Hawke to help him plant the bomb.

The worst part is he is the only half decent healer in the companions, so unless you make Hawke a healer you are probably stuck with him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom