Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Controversial opinions about RPGs that you know deep down are true.

It’s been nothing but decline since pedit5.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Darklands has some good parts to it, while the combat is absolute shit. The overall game is really mediocre, compared to other RPG's of that time.

Rules Lawyer

Literate
Many older RPGs are highly overrated. They used to be great at the time but much better games coming out along the years have made them entirely obsolete.

I disagree. They offer much more than modern games. Comparing Morrowind to Skyrim for eg, no levitation, no spellmaking, no teleport, no jump, no mark/recall, no attributes, no classes, no polarms <<<insert more 50000 things>>>> and the unique thing that skyrim brought who worth is the vampire lord form and better graphics.

When I think of "older" games, I think of the games I played growing up (I guess I'm outing myself as middle aged now) -- ultima 4, ultima 5, darklands, might and magic, wizardry, bard's tale, etc. Or perhaps the games I played in college, like fallout, baldur's gate, etc. Everything these old games did (exception for torment, noted below), SOME modern games do better. No, I don't mean skyrim, and no I don't mean any JRPG.

I don't get the hate on modern games. It's like people on here just automatically hate anything that's newer. Ok, fallout and elder scrolls got kind of fucked up, but how blind do you have to be to not see games like PfK as being better than something like Baldur's gate in every conceivable way? PoE? DoS? What the fuck people? (exception being Planescape; flawed game because the combat and interface are dogshit, but I don't think ANY game has ever had a better plot, more memorable characters, and more true RP'ing decisions).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't get the hate on modern games. It's like people on here just automatically hate anything that's newer. Ok, fallout and elder scrolls got kind of fucked up, but how blind do you have to be to not see games like PfK as being better than something like Baldur's gate in every conceivable way? PoE? DoS? What the fuck people? (exception being Planescape; flawed game because the combat and interface are dogshit, but I don't think ANY game has ever had a better plot, more memorable characters, and more true RP'ing decisions).

I don't think that Pathfinder Kingmaker is better than BG in "every conceivable way". in some points like character creation, PfK is superior. In others like encounter design, i honestly think that BG1/2 is better. But PfK was made with old school principles in mind, not modern ones. And received an backlash from game journalists "why my axe is not killing an insect swarm", so they got forced to re design most encounters to avoid this butthurt and improve ratings.

About DOS 1/2, i din't liked DOS by one reason. Too much "modern BS" like
  1. Cooldowns - I fired an arrow in a specific way, now i need to wait X turns to fire in the same way. Why?
  2. Artificial limitations like "you can only have one summon"
  3. Spells/skills don't feel deadly due armor/magic armor
  4. Bows with 13m range is something that makes no sense too. I IRL can easily hit targets smaller than humans at 50m with my 175 lbf crossbow and don't consider myself an good shooter
  5. The armor who never deflects blow, but works more like "another hp layer"
Pillars of Eternity 1/2 is a good game, but offer less spells, less classes and less interesting stuff than BG for eg.

PS : Is not only bugthesda games who are fucked up. Bioware games, Blizard games...

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
New Vegas is best Fallout.

Wizardry VII is worst Wizardry.

Every time period has good games and shit games. Being old does not automatically make a game better than "all the shit that comes out nowadays" (nor does being new make a game better than "last gen shit that doesn't even have 32K textures").

Max Damage

Savant
This is Trigger Codex with a statement: Electric Boogaloo, but why not: Baldur's Gate fucking sucks. The "it's totally like real time but we'll still use rounds lmao" combat is retarded, characters are still written by Bioware, encounter design is absent, exploration is -boredom and trial-by-error based, you HAVE to roll stats when creating character (no, you don't get to pick low-strong preset, that'd make too much sense), and the antagonist has all the charisma of a limpet. Also, Charisma isn't needed for sorcerer, yay for effortless powergaming?

pomenitul

Arbiter
Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a cute little game worth a distracted playthrough. Insofar as 3/4 of it is semi-competent filler, it is most certainly not the second coming of BG or even IWD.

Generic-Giant-Spider

This thread is reddit-tier "unpopular opinions" bullshit where all the people with garbage taste crawl out of the woodworks and assure each other that liking total trash is acceptable.

For it to be the true Reddit experience it'd need to be, "Unpopular opinion but" and then proceed to say something everybody on that particular board agrees with.

Rules Lawyer

Literate
Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a cute little game worth a distracted playthrough. Insofar as 3/4 of it is semi-competent filler, it is most certainly not the second coming of BG or even IWD.

IWD had some nicely planned battles. BG2 was great all around. I don't get the love for BG1. I was not particularly impressed with it. Way too much filler.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Planescape Torment is a bad game. The sequel is probably worse but who can honestly be bothered loading it up.

Pathfinder is a bit shit. All the "Divinity" games are shit.

BG1>BG2

U7>U6

BattleTech: Crescent Hawks Inception, Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome, Nethergate, the Geneforges, and AoD are probably the best RPGs of all time.

hmmm so many more great opinions to share

Blobbers are pure shit
JRPGs are shit

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
All video games are a waste of time, each of us is wasting his precious life on bullshit that ultimately does nothing for us. The time and effort spent on games could be spent on bettering ourselves and our positions in life, and if we did that, all of us would be happier than we are now.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
All video games are a waste of time, each of us is wasting his precious life on bullshit that ultimately does nothing for us. The time and effort spent on games could be spent on bettering ourselves and our positions in life, and if we did that, all of us would be happier than we are now.
This is probably true.
Fuck it, video games are fun

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom