Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Controversial opinions about RPGs that you know deep down are true.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Bioware was decline from the start, and the Infinity Engine managed the startling feat of simultaneously ruining both combat and exploration. :M

Val

Barely Literate
The way fog of war works in the infinity engine completely ruins immersion

26196.jpg

lol

Artyoan

Arbiter
Quick saving/loading removes nearly all tension and robs the potential of a great many strategic systems. Asking the player to 'not use it' is like imploring players to not use an infinite-use healing item given by the developer at the start. Death systems that do not lose all character progress since the last save are key to ditching quicksave.

Many older RPGs are highly overrated. They used to be great at the time but much better games coming out along the years have made them entirely obsolete.

I disagree. They offer much more than modern games. Comparing Morrowind to Skyrim for eg, no levitation, no spellmaking, no teleport, no jump, no mark/recall, no attributes, no classes, no polarms <<<insert more 50000 things>>>> and the unique thing that skyrim brought who worth is the vampire lord form and better graphics.

------------------

My unpopular opinion : JRPG's like FF VII/chrono trigger are not true RPG's and are boring as hell. The uniques RPG's from Japan who are true RPG's, are the most "western like",

Ultra unpopular opinion : Swords should be at beast an backup weapon, in any RPG, doesn't matter if is high/low/no fantasy setting. And polearms needs much more love.
agree about the pole-arms thing especially. Seems like spears would and should be much more popular weapons especially for lower level, monster types and militias etc..

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Uh...
* There are probably enough good rpgs available so we could all play good games until we die, but for some strange reason, I keep watching new releases and feel like I'm waiting for something... I don't know what...
* Some level of boring tasks are necessary in rpgs. Routine actions: cleaning out inventory, selling off shit, resting to get spells. When they remove routine tasks, games do not get more interesting. You took a 7 strength because you are a wizard, tough shit if you have to go back to town 6x to sell loot!
* With the above in mind, developers don't punish bad decisions at char creation enough/no negatives for bad stats - only grades of positives. Maybe this is why we'll never have a GURPS rpg
* Three stats like Skyrim, and three meaningless dialog options is where it's all going. Get used to it! Elder Scrolls 6 is going to take us to places even the stupidest person among us isn't dumb enough to dream up - and it will sell a billion copies
* We would all be OK with romance in crpgs if it stopped somewhere around BG2 - when DA:O added cut-scene dwarf-on-man butt-fucking, well, that took the whole damn ship in a direction nobody asked for and the whole genre still suffers
* Troika tried to do something amazing and fell short of the mark. Fault them for their buggy games, but Arcanum was a noble experiment. They flew too close to the sun, dammit!

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
All video games are a waste of time, each of us is wasting his precious life on bullshit that ultimately does nothing for us. The time and effort spent on games could be spent on bettering ourselves and our positions in life, and if we did that, all of us would be happier than we are now.

But, what if I'm bettering myself by playing video games? I mean, the crime rate in my town alone has gone down by 20% since I started playing. Could be a coincidence, but can you really be sure?

RaptorRex888

Learned
Every day is a day closer to death - judgement and an eternal afterlife or perpetual non-existence and nothingness, which is more frightening? Unfortunately, the clock is ticking, the hours are going by, the past increases, the future recedes. Possibilities decreasing, regrets mounting, do you understand, or do you choose to remain ignorant?

Alex

Arcane
Dark Souls is overrated piece of garbage.
(...snip)

The topic is about RPGs...
If you like movies, then yeah I guess.

Come on man, that is rather disparaging to movies.
First person, party-based dungeon crawlers are still representative of the best of the computer role-playing game hobby, and the closest approximation to the pen and paper experience.

Those can be quite good, and I especially like when they make drawing a correct map part of the challenge. But ultimately they are rather limited on the problem solving aspect. They might have a a few puzzles in the, but those almost always don't even use your character's abilities. Instead they usually pad out with a whole lot of combat.

Because of that, I think games like Fallout, or even Zork, might be more representative of a P&P game.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dark Souls isn't even an RPG

"more RPG than any post wow mmo<...>"

And IMO despite being an action game with RPG elements, Dark Souls as an RPG is better than DOS2(i know that will receive a lot of negative rating by it) but:
  • No cooldowns on DkS
  • Attributes that matters and represent what your character can and cannot do
  • no BS mechanics like bows limited to 13m, cds, magic and normal armor working as extra HP, etc
  • The environmental mechanics are less gimmicky(aka an half underwater enemy takes less damage from pyromancy)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom