Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Your favourite shooter FPS games?

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
God Tier: Overload, Devil Daggers, Quake 1
Excellent Tier: Plutonia, Descent 2
Very Good Tier: Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Blood
Good Tier: Duke Nukem 3D, Descent 1, Half-Life 1 + Opposing Force, F.E.A.R. 1 + Extraction Point, DESYNC, Serious Sam: TSE, Crysis: Warhead
Alright Tier: Serious Sam: TFE, Serious Sam 3: BFE, Shadow Warrior Classic, Unreal Gold, DUSK, Marathon 2, EYE: Divine Cybermancy, NecrovisioN, Bulletstorm, Crysis 1
Decent Tier: nuDoom, Serious Sam 2, AMID EVIL, Marathon Infinity, Heretic, AMID EVIL, Titanfall 2, Prey (2006), TNT, F.E.A.R: Perseus Mandate, BLACK
Mediocre Tier: Painkiller, Shadow Warrior 2, RTcW, Marathon 1, RAGE 2, Quake 2, Descent 3, NecrovisioN: Lost Company

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Titanfall 2 has a surprisingly good singleplayer campaign if you want something pretty recent. Rage 2 has VERY good combat but you have to deal with a lot of shit around it. Amid Evil is probably my favorite "old school" feeling FPS.

If you want the best of the genre on PC without going too far back with graphics though I'd immediately play FEAR, Crysis and Far Cry 2 or 3.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't like FPS games. I've played very little, but the ones I've played were great.

Resistance: Fall of Man--campaign is really good. Lots of mystery and a solid story. I've heard it goes to shit after this one, though. I've never played the later sequels because it becomes a CoD clone instead of a Halo clone.

SWAT: 4

I didn't like Stalker. I got bored.

Delta Force: Black Hawk Down. I used to play the online portion like mad. Extremely fun game. The campaign was shit imo, but the online is amazing. Great maps.

I guess these are the more modern ones, but I think the earliest FPS game I played was Goldeneye and Quake 3: Arena.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'll just say Unreal: Tournament 2004 was probably the most fun I've ever had in a first person FPS game.
Nobody has said Team Fortress 2, but whatever. It's still great.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
CoD is too reliant on setpiece battles with dozens of bots on your side, Mohaa is a bit more oldschool and has a plenty of levels where you're alone.
Yeah. I found CoD pretty dull and monotonous even when it came out, whereas every mission in Allied Assault stood out in some way. I even liked the sniper town, since it was a nice change of pace after the hectic D-Day stuff. Actually, more games should have sniper towns. CoD only really switches gears during the rather forgettable British campaign, and you get tired of its smoke and mirrors pretty fast.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I never played the older MoH but the one where you play as paratrooper is pretty good. You have open levels and some RPG elements. I don't even mind the Nazi supersoldiers. Oh and you get to blow tanks, but this time it's not scripted like in CoD. It's kinda short though.

SWAT 4 isn't really an action shooter. You get less score if you kill people even if it's necessarry and you need scores to pass. Although I never really failed just because my AI teammates killed noncomplying hostiles. Overall still very worth looking at, but don't expect much gunplay.

Far Cry 3's gunplay is pretty good. I can see why people recommend it despite being the game that popularizes empty open world games.

NOLF is the one game by Monolith that I can't really recommend for the combat, and I'd guess OP would say something along the line "nice it has strong wymyn but i can't play this shit".

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I never played the older MoH but the one where you play as paratrooper is pretty good. You have open levels and some RPG elements. I don't even mind the Nazi supersoldiers. Oh and you get to blow tanks, but this time it's not scripted like in CoD. It's kinda short though.

SWAT 4 isn't really an action shooter. You get less score if you kill people even if it's necessarry and you need scores to pass. Although I never really failed just because my AI teammates killed noncomplying hostiles. Overall still very worth looking at, but don't expect much gunplay.

Far Cry 3's gunplay is pretty good. I can see why people recommend it despite being the game that popularizes empty open world games.

NOLF is the one game by Monolith that I can't really recommend for the combat, and I'd guess OP would say something along the line "nice it has strong wymyn but i can't play this shit".
Go pepper ball guns, and it'll become a shooter. I forgot if it's possible in the later levels where the enemies are packing bullet-proof vests and gas mask.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
By the way, I totally forgot about this game, but Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood. Very good game. It gets tiresome doing the same thing over and over with the suppressing fire. Graphics were great for the time, and I guess the story was good. I stopped playing when you get to the tanks (something happens to mark this, but I don't want to spoil it). I don't know why I stopped playing. Maybe it was because I bought Age of Empires: III around that time or something...

schru

Arcane
Initially I only mentioned Far Cry because I thought I should stay close to the games you mentioned, but since others are giving all sorts of recommendations, I'll give a full list so as to reinforce some of those.

Pre-1.6—no reason not to go back to these, as they're among the finest games ever:

The bolded ones are particularly good. Generally I'd always recommend using DOSBox or original versions with graphics wrappers (dgVoodoo solves most such issues) in preference to source ports as those almost always change things to the detriment of the feel of the combat, visuals, or enemy behaviour/scripts. Naturall

- Ultimate Doom (use either Sound Canvas VA with DOSBox or SC-55 recordings with a source port for the music, it's really worth it)

- System Shock (whichever version you choose, real SC-55 or SC VA are the only way to have high quality music)

- Doom II (SC VA or SC-55 recordings for the music)

- Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders (same as above regarding music, though MusicallyInspired made some mistakes in his recordings)

- Star Wars: Dark Forces (SC VA is the only option)

- Hexen: Beyond Heretic (SC VA or recordings available with an upload of the sound track on YouTube)

- Doom (PlayStation)

- Master Levels for Doom II (same as above regarding music)

- Duke Nukem 3D (same as above regarding music)

- Final Doom (same as above regarding music)

- Quake (the Steam version doesn't include CD music; there's also an alternative sound track made up of music from Doom put together by Bobby Prince and called Doom Music; can be obtained from Rutracker)

- Final Doom (PlayStation)

- Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (Night Dive's version has truncated levels and a few other changes)

- Doom 64

- Redneck Rampage

- Shadow Warrior (I'd say the DOS version feels better than ports)

- Blood (same as above; both the CD and MIDI sound tracks are worth playing with, the latter will require SC VA for optimal quality, though)

- Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown (PlayStation version, worth playing for the music)

- Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (requires a very particular method to get music to work on newer systems)

- Quake II (missing CD music again)

- Star Wards Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (probably the same problems as above)

- Unreal (use Old Unreal 227 patch, disable multitexturing in advanced renderer settings)

- Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (again, Night Dive's version has truncated levels)

- Sin

- Half-Life

- Half-Life: Uplink

- Kingpin: Life of Crime (at least for the first hub)

- Medal of Honor (I never got used to the controls, but the atmosphere is very nice)

- Unreal Tournament (will require a newer renderer)

- Medal of Honor: Underground
Otherwise:

The Operative: No One Lives Forever, Serious Sam: The First Encounter (certain features don't work in the HD version, the same goes for The Second Encounter), Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (Arma: Cold War Assault), Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, Postal 2, Call of Duty, Unreal Tournament 2004, Painkiller, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Doom 3, Call of Duty: United Offensive, Tribes: Vengeance, Half-Life 2, Serious Sam II, Fear, Afraid of Monsters: Director's Cut, Half-Life 2: Episode One, Fear: Extraction Point, Bioshock, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Wolfenstein (2009), Stalker: Call of Pripyat, Metro 2033, Serious Sam 3: BFE, Cry of Fear.

Ivan

Arcane
Titanfall 2 has a surprisingly good singleplayer campaign if you want something pretty recent. Rage 2 has VERY good combat but you have to deal with a lot of shit around it. Amid Evil is probably my favorite "old school" feeling FPS.

If you want the best of the genre on PC without going too far back with graphics though I'd immediately play FEAR, Crysis and Far Cry 2 or 3.

Far Cry 3 Ziggy's Mod is an excellent STALKER-lite experience

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
F.E.A.R. still has some of the best gunplay and still looks amazing for being nearly 15 years old.

Crysis still looks amazing for how old it is too. The power of the PC platform, as both were originally exclusives. Then the cross-platform boom came...

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Crysis is a rare game in the sense that it's a graphics whore game that has kind of got better with age, thanks to the decline of the FPS genre. What used to be a glorified tech demo starts to feel like a pretty decent shooter after you've been subjected to more than a decade of pure, unadultered console popamole.

DemonKing

Arcane
FEAR is an all time favourite in terms of pure gunplay (the expansion packs are ok - the sequels fairly disappointing).

Loved the original Medal of Honor Allied Assault but sadly the Multiplayer is inaccessible these days.

Doom 2016 is fun in that the gunplay is pretty good in SP. MP is forgettable.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare remastered is probably a good place to go if you want a decent SP game with a still active MP mode.

Unreal Tournament single player with bots is very good ! i never played UT online and still one of my favourite fps for SP.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Mine would be:
Doom 1 (as I like the original and the maps just seem better IMHO) Super shotgun.. meh.
Duke 3D
Blood
Heretic
Quake 1

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom