Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Candide

Educated
I've just gotten to the Expedition content and the first savages invasion - are large scale battles like this common in the expansion? Those are my least favorite in the base game - both Black Eels vs Scrappers and the Tchort institute invasion are basically me spending 15 minutes watching the hourglass cursor. That's not how I want to spend my gaming time.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've just gotten to the Expedition content and the first savages invasion - are large scale battles like this common in the expansion? Those are my least favorite in the base game - both Black Eels vs Scrappers and the Tchort institute invasion are basically me spending 15 minutes watching the hourglass cursor. That's not how I want to spend my gaming time.

At least it's not a huge burrower nest.

Waiting for dozens of NPCs to finish their movement and actions every single turn is one of the prices we must pay for isometric, turn-based, old skool strategy games. Suck it up!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Bros, I've developed the perfect set of keybindings for Underrail:

• rebind WASD to pan the screen; disable edge panning and hold-RMB panning
  • rebind quick keys from QWERTY to QERTYU
  • rebind "take all" function from A to \ (or whatever)
  • rebind character sheet from S to P
  • create mouse macro to clone ENTER (begin combat) to MMB
  • create mouse macro to clone TAB (highlight) to mouse thumb button
  • create mouse macro to bind speed up/speed down to two mouse side buttons

This affords so much precise control and comfiness. I can't believe I didn't think of trying a custom setup before. It makes hunting for cave hoppers an absolute breeze.

Tigranes

Arcane

Use the new in-game speed up thing, and if necessary, speedhack, if you're watching 20 people fight each other offscreen.

epeli

Arcane
Bug report, I think. I triggered the Assassinate Olivia quest, but it seems to be impossible to trigger Assassinate Nicolas. I've tried to talk to her several times in several instances and she always says she's busy.

Talk to her when she's on a break, not busy working.

Use the new in-game speed up thing, and if necessary, speedhack, if you're watching 20 people fight each other offscreen.

The new speedup feature is for RT mode only. Check options, TB combat speed goes all the way to 10x and that's been in the game for years.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
got questions plssssssss

Told the ferryman to transport the sub to L2.. but wher ethe fuck is it? do i have to wait for him to show up at the sub and talk to him or what? help!

Tigranes

Arcane
Bug report, I think. I triggered the Assassinate Olivia quest, but it seems to be impossible to trigger Assassinate Nicolas. I've tried to talk to her several times in several instances and she always says she's busy.

Talk to her when she's on a break, not busy working.

The new speedup feature is for RT mode only. Check options, TB combat speed goes all the way to 10x and that's been in the game for years.

Oops, yeah. I've been combining it with speedhack 2x a lot of the time, so lost track. So for Candide, I'd use the Underrail Speedhack - very simple to use - if combat waiting is getting you down.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It affects SMGs as well, and Heavy Punch was made an unconditional too for the sake of plausible deniability, but we all know the real reason.

I guess the real reason was that someone used HP with smart glasses, and got like loads of damage.

Also, about shotguns - pics Tygrende posted a bit outdated (or suffer from bug I reported today) - Tyranny had 4 shells in burst.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've finally reached the end of Depot A. It took a while, because I was 1 (one!) point away from being able to craft a near-perfect set of Depot A armor (mutated dog leather, high-density foam padding, and blast cloth, all q50ish) but couldn't find any deep pies for sale, so I went exploring and killing until I managed to level up. Thanks, Junkyard Surprise nerf. Also, we once again contemplate the silliness of not being able to construct anti-acid armor until we've already spent a lot of time wading through oceans of it.

I'm really enjoying the spear so far, or as I prefer to call it, La Lance du Fromage. The extra reach is more useful than I originally suspected (anyone remember how mutated dogs could be like 1cm out of melee range while you were blobbed?), and the melee blocking aspect is actually very noticeable, especially after obtaining Spear Guardian. Once I get Iron Grip and Fend and start one-handing the spear, I'll enjoy extremely potent melee damage reduction when not incapacitated.

There have been a lot of great moments with the spear. I once had the opportunity to perform a spear throw against a big mutant standing something like 8 grid squares away. The hit chance was exactly 50%. (I'm still carrying just the one steel shock spear.) I took a gamble, threw, scored a critical hit, and he went down in one shot (from full health) suffering a total of -357 damage.

I also enjoy throwing molotovs absolutely everywhere and for just about any reason. They're obscenely helpful in the early stages of the game for blindly eliminating mines in suspiciously open areas, knocking NPCs out of stealth, and of course noise attraction, area denial, and just plain damage.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Also, we once again contemplate the silliness of not being able to construct anti-acid armor until we've already spent a lot of time wading through oceans of it.
Siphoner pools are in the game since forever. Mutated dog leather being better is just a bonus.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've finally reached the end of Depot A. It took a while, because I was 1 (one!) point away from being able to craft a near-perfect set of Depot A armor (mutated dog leather, high-density foam padding, and blast cloth, all q50ish) but couldn't find any deep pies for sale, so I went exploring and killing until I managed to level up. Thanks, Junkyard Surprise nerf. Also, we once again contemplate the silliness of not being able to construct anti-acid armor until we've already spent a lot of time wading through oceans of it.

I'm really enjoying the spear so far, or as I prefer to call it, La Lance du Fromage. The extra reach is more useful than I originally suspected (anyone remember how mutated dogs could be like 1cm out of melee range while you were blobbed?), and the melee blocking aspect is actually very noticeable, especially after obtaining Spear Guardian. Once I get Iron Grip and Fend and start one-handing the spear, I'll enjoy extremely potent melee damage reduction when not incapacitated.

There have been a lot of great moments with the spear. I once had the opportunity to perform a spear throw against a big mutant standing something like 8 grid squares away. The hit chance was exactly 50%. (I'm still carrying just the one steel shock spear.) I took a gamble, threw, scored a critical hit, and he went down in one shot (from full health) suffering a total of -357 damage.

I also enjoy throwing molotovs absolutely everywhere and for just about any reason. They're obscenely helpful in the early stages of the game for blindly eliminating mines in suspiciously open areas, knocking NPCs out of stealth, and of course noise attraction, area denial, and just plain damage.
What is your spear build if you don't mind me asking? I had a lot of fun trying to do a throwing/spear build, but it wasn't viable. I'd like to see what you did differently.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Two things:

1. I just met crawlers for the first time. Jesus Christ.
  2. Is there a point to energy pistols? Plasma Pistol has big output, sure, but at 40 AP it's basically a cannon, and you rarely one-shot things in this game (so far) except with a good Snipe, the Electricity Pistol is just a niched liability, and the Laser Pistol seems to have nothing to offer when compared to other weapons. I'm also mildly salty that there's no energy rifles, but I'm not sure what the point would be.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
What is your spear build if you don't mind me asking? I had a lot of fun trying to do a throwing/spear build, but it wasn't viable. I'd like to see what you did differently.

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?Hgs...KsFsKxwqbCohptwp7Cn8KgwqFs4rOFBeKzjgLit6YF378

I've changed it up substantially since originally devising it. Most significantly, I ditched Guard as superfluous, dropped Hit and Run in favor of Expose Weakness, and pushed DEX to 6 rather than CON from 7 to 8 in order to qualify for Grenadier (and slightly bump up effective Throwing).

I also altered the specializations. 2 points in Spear Guardian ups its block chance to 100% (and when your riot shield procs, it will stack additively with Spear Guard), 5 points in Fend reduces its AP cost to 10 down from 20, and Expertise alongside 5 points in Iron Grip helps mitigate the damage loss from Iron Grip.

I'll probably put the final 3 specialization points toward reducing Spear Throw's AP cost from 25 to 10.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm still struggling with restartitis on my melee/shotgunner. One thing I'm starting to think is - well, this build really has nothing against far-range enemies, and combined with low Resolve, that's a pretty big weakness. I wonder if a Shotgunner with Sniper backup is viable at all, but probably not in terms of feat synergy?

Blaine with that, how do you envision later piercing energy shields on enemies, and on fending off non-mechanical damage? Spear guard only blocks mechanical, right?

Jezal_k23

To deal with far away enemies my (so far) purely melee build has been relying on traps. Bring people to me and once they get close, welcome to hell. Unless I miss, then it's oopsie, I'm dead (usually). Nets help a lot too.

I'm also desperate for a Stingball Grenade blueprint and I can't find it anywhere.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Can somebody help me understand the different types of shotgun ammo in the simplest terms? I'm too lazy (stupid) to figure it out.

Its pretty simple, the higher the pellet count the less penetration and damage from each pellet. So in theory 3P shell is best against armored enemies, 20P shell is best against unarmored/squishy enemies. And each individual pellet has a chance to crit, so thats kind of interesting. Tbh I have not used different ammo that much so far, so maybe there is more to it?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does anyone know where the Aegis Troopers start their attack on the Pirates if you call it in? I want to be there at their initial start point so these idiots dont die but I can't find it.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Some more help needed please, about half of the DLC.
Is cracking the music cypher required to leave the Nexus? A security cam catches me when I head back up and activates a Naga Protector, which means it's not possible to go through there.
Edit: OK, killing the cam buys some time to turn on sneak and get away. Still feeling like I missed something huge at this location, though. Are we supposed to acquire something huge for camp security or anything?

Does anyone know where the Aegis Troopers start their attack on the Pirates if you call it in? I want to be there at their initial start point so these idiots dont die but I can't find it.
As mentioned in the notes, it's just a small patrol unfortunately. It's attacking just left of the north entrance of the main base, the one with their ship.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom