Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite Dangerous - Yay or Nay?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Elite Dangerous is so shit and shallow, biggest let down ever. X4 is too early to buy, all the X games are so bad but they are hugely modable so you have to wait 5 years after release for patches and some mods. So get X3 now with lots of mods, or get X4 in a few years once it is ok. Space games disappoint me so much. Except for Space Rangers.

Yosharian

Arcane
Ah ED...

It's potentially the best game I won't ever recommend to anyone. I have a personal love and hate relationship with it.

Exactly what you just said. I have about 700 hours logged and near-zero desire to play it again.

I will say that if you do get into the Engineer grind, at least the Engineering system itself gives you a reason to actually obtain materials that exist in the game, mining, surface mining, etc.

But there are so many shitty, un-fun mechanics still in the game that, as you say, I can barely recommend it to anyone.

Suchy

Arcane
nay.. this game is not optimized for virtual reality.
lolwut? There's probably no other game where VR adds as much, can't imagine playing it on a monitor. The only issue is with keyboard shortcuts, because you can't really see the keyboard, so a voice recognition software is a must (I'm using VoiceAttack).

Yosharian

Arcane
lolwut? There's probably no other game where VR adds as much, can't imagine playing it on a monitor. The only issue is with keyboard shortcuts, because you can't really see the keyboard, so a voice recognition software is a must (I'm using VoiceAttack).
The game is extremely poorly designed when it comes to VR, and he's absolutely right, it's not optimized well at all.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The game is extremely poorly designed when it comes to VR, and he's absolutely right, it's not optimized well at all.
What are you missing from the game exactly, regarding the VR?

Yosharian

Arcane
To play this game anywhere near optimally, you need access to third-party websites. You can't do that while wearing a VR headset. Plus, the galaxy map is an abomination in VR mode. Driving around in the SRV is awful in VR, as well. The outfitting menus don't work properly. Not to mention that the stuff you could spend the majority of your time doing in Elite, such as wandering about in supercruise, performing endless hyperspace jumps, or doing any monotonous crap like trading, VR is crap for stuff like that.

The only thing VR is halfway decent for is dog-fighting. The rest of the time, it's a complete waste of time.

Suchy

Arcane
To play this game anywhere near optimally, you need access to third-party websites. You can't do that while wearing a VR headset. Plus, the galaxy map is an abomination in VR mode. Driving around in the SRV is awful in VR, as well. The outfitting menus don't work properly. Not to mention that the stuff you could spend the majority of your time doing in Elite, such as wandering about in supercruise, performing endless hyperspace jumps, or doing any monotonous crap like trading, VR is crap for stuff like that.

The only thing VR is halfway decent for is dog-fighting. The rest of the time, it's a complete waste of time.
Ok, I can agree on third party websites - though I rarely need to do any switching... like taking the headset off once an hour to plan the next route, while sitting in a base, is not that much of a problem. And yeah, galaxy map is shit, but easy enough to get used to. Partially agree with supercruise, for that i've mapped galnet under voice commands, or listen to some podcasts. I don't feel the need to watch youtube or whatever while travelling. Still it's very much possible to use a VR overlay app, where you can play vids or whatever - tried that, but got bored and got back to podcasts.
SRV in VR is fucking awesome, and absolutely no problem with any menus.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This thread is hilarious. Even more hilarious is the existence of the Elite-style space sim. It's an incredibly niche genre. Codexian's standard of "fun game" doesn't even apply to most of the well-liked ones. Yet more often it bait naive mainstream gamer into trying it, for the obvious reason that space is cool and flying spaceships even more so. Then predictably they got butthurt about the genre's incredibly tedious gameplay. And usually for good reasons, too.

SpaceGhost

Barely Literate
Big fat nay. It's kind of cool for the first 10 hours or so, but by that point you've smoked all your weed so you realize the game isn't actually fun.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
scio6T4.png

Cuntbag.

Still love it.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
scio6T4.png

Cuntbag.

Still love it.

FYI Steam counts the time the launcher is running.

I mean I really hope that's what I'm seeing here...

I know it does, that's probably a good 100 hours of it.

I got myself from 0 to Cutter twice, and I love flying around and seeing the sights, and I am not ashamed of it either.

2SiZJtx.png

Now I have 270 hours in No Mans Sky, that's much worse, especially since I can't remember a single moment I really enjoyed the game.

But, I just really enjoy laid back games these days. just listen to music or some podcasts and play something not too involved.

Morkar Left

I know it does, that's probably a good 100 hours of it.

I got myself from 0 to Cutter twice, and I love flying around and seeing the sights, and I am not ashamed of it either.

2SiZJtx.png

Now I have 270 hours in No Mans Sky, that's much worse, especially since I can't remember a single moment I really enjoyed the game.

But, I just really enjoy laid back games these days. just listen to music or some podcasts and play something not too involved.

I admire your abundance of freetime!

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I have only 346 hours and even that was approximately 300 too much.

I recently uninstalled the shit because I needed a few terabyte space for flightsm scenery.

Burning Bridges

X-Plane 11 with Ortho4XP terrain

Basically you cram 1/2m resolution aerial imagery onto your harddisks and double the electricity bill by running the converter overnight.
I filled half a 4TB drive in 1 week

XrEq2A2.jpg

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
That's how I played MS Flight Sim X, just relax with a beer and put on a podcast. I tried the same with E:D in VR but the mentioned useability issues eventually got to me, and I didn't want to switch back to a monitor because it looks and feels so much better in VR. If they could fix the VR interface it would be a great background game.

McPlusle

Savant
What about the first three Elite games? It seems as if those were rather obscure here in the states, and nowadays there are several ways to play all three through sourceports or DOS or what have you

Morkar Left

What about the first three Elite games? It seems as if those were rather obscure here in the states, and nowadays there are several ways to play all three through sourceports or DOS or what have you

Instead of the original Elite I recommend a fully modded Oolite. You can download and install mods right from the game menu. Make sure to get these gfx upgrade mods.

For Elite First Encounters there are some modded versions too with improved graphics. Look for FFE d3d AndyJ version.

Last edited by a moderator:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
They are all stupid and boring. You either trade virtual goods like a loser, do fedex quests, or you engage in the worst most pointless combat. It is amazing that the games industry is so bad, it can turn being a space pilot into something so boring and low tech.

Burning Bridges

You really need to have played Elite in the mid/late 1980s to understand how good it was. 8-bit Elite gameplay was as much ahead of its time as IV is behind.

It was like stepping into a time machine that took you at least 10 years forward. You had probably played nothing in your life but 2d jump&runs in which you steer crude animals over the road so they dont get squashed by much too fast cars. And suddenly you were in a PC-like scifi simulator with 3d graphics and real economics. neither the 3d graphics nor the economics look like much today but oh boy were they a step into the future in 1986. The fact that the game was hard as fuck (considering you probably pirated it and had no manual) made it even more rewarding when you finally started making money. It felt like you EARNED it like a businessman and not just by jumping left and right.

It seriously puzzles me though how Braben could have been part in this. He either completely stuck his head in arse for 30 years or is untalented as a game designer. To think he went with this arcadish b/s while some Croatian nobodies come up with something like Hellion, it's ridiculous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom