Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs where the majority of the game takes place in one city-sized area

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Ultima Underworld - Takes place in the Abyss
Ultima Underworld 2 - Takes place under Lord British Castle.

But those locations are pretty big so I don't know if this counts to you.
The Labyrinth of Worlds contains several discrete locations, and if we include The Stygian Abyss for being set in a single, albeit large, dungeon, then we might as well include Rogue, Wizardry, Dungeon Master, and a thousand other RPGs taking place in a single dungeon. :M

Its in fact located only in Royal citadel of Mournhold the city being in Lore bigger than Vivec.
Tamriel Rebuilt places the citadel of Mournhold on a plateau, and sprawled around the base of the plateau is the massive city of Almalexia:

r9WwZRL.jpg

Hqa3a2C.jpg

xHN5ZgF.jpg

Erebus

Arcane
A Dance with Rogues: Part 1. Although you leave the city of Betancuria two or three times for certain quests (some of them optional), 90% of plot related events happen there. And despite Neverwinter Nights suboptimal engine the city is really great.
Is this the one where your character gets raped?

Yeah, that's the one. But if you put aside the creator's sexual fantasies, it's actually a pretty good module. The first half makes playing a thief more enjoyable and interesting than any other D&D CRPG I've ever played.

Hillsfar happens almost entirely in a city, but I'm not sure I would call it a CRPG, even if it outwardly uses D&D rules. (Also, it's a terrible, terrible game.)

I guess you could say that Pool of Radiance counts, though much of the city is in ruins and inhabited by monsters.

deuxhero

Arcane
Will Colony Ship count? The ship was a single settlement.

Its in fact located only in Royal citadel of Mournhold the city being in Lore bigger than Vivec.
Tamriel Rebuilt places the citadel of Mournhold on a plateau, and sprawled around the base of the plateau is the massive city of Almalexia:

Is this preview or is it in the current release?

Zer0wing

Cipher
The Labyrinth of Worlds contains several discrete locations, and if we include The Stygian Abyss for being set in a single, albeit large, dungeon, then we might as well include Rogue, Wizardry, Dungeon Master, and a thousand other RPGs taking place in a single dungeon. :M
Difference is, Stygian Abyss is an actual underground settlement, or to be more precise, a couple of them sprawling all around the whole abyss. Ultima Underworld is not a typical dungon crawler.

Mustawd

Every dungeon crawler? I mean it all takes place in a singular dungeon right?

vota DC

Augur
Disco Elysium
The adventures of Robin Hood (castle + village + monastery + some trees)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Is this preview or is it in the current release?
Tamriel Rebuilt had completed the exteriors for the city of Almalexia years ago, though the rest (interiors, NPCs, etc.) was still missing. As of the 2016 version, Tamriel Rebuilt's fully-completed areas were the Telvanni territory in northeast Morrowind and a bit of Indoril (and Temple) territory to the south of that. They seem to have finalized more Indoril territory since then but not yet Almalexia.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not a proper RPG but Harbinger.
The arpg that time forgot. It takes place on a single space ship. Also had great atmosphere and a broken quest which didn't let me finish the game...

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Shadowrun:Hong Kong not mentioned yet?
(Or the prior two games in the series?)

How about Blood-Net?

laclongquan

Arcane
Parasite Eve 2 takes place mostly in and around Dryfield, Nevada. The prologue take place in New York but that's about one chapter only. A large part take placen in Dryfield little townlet, and another large part takes place in a dungeon not far from the town.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom