Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Probably just your hacking and/or electronics were too low.

Fucking LOL.

So I find an older save, go back to Core City and level up to 16, boost my hacking up as far as possible, go back to the island, turn on the plasma turrets and laugh like a goddamned fool at how much of an absolute cakewalk that invasion had become. Jeee-suhs H.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
So I find an older save, go back to Core City and level up to 16, boost my hacking up as far as possible, go back to the island, turn on the plasma turrets and laugh like a goddamned fool at how much of an absolute cakewalk that invasion had become. Jeee-suhs H.

So... it's either have Hacking or Electronics, or else fuck you?

In my view, just about every "make big fight easier" widget should be a solvable puzzle, albeit one that can sometimes be bypassed if you happen to have this or that skill. This goes double for REALLY big fights.

The only reason I like to take Lockpicks and Hacking on many characters is that I enjoy poking my nose into everything. Otherwise, they could easily be skipped.

Jezal_k23

The time is approaching for Expedition. I assume it's an area that you can't come back from? How does it work?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Probably just your hacking and/or electronics were too low.

Fucking LOL.

Or you pick up the naval mines which requires a jet ski and nothing else.

PEACH

Arbiter
The time is approaching for Expedition. I assume it's an area that you can't come back from? How does it work?

After the first mission in the Black Sea you'll be able to travel back and forth at your leisure.

roshan

Arcane
OK so I am level 12, and I haven't even completed Depot A yet. Hard difficulty. is this normal, or is classic XP system completely broken?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Here is a bit of incline.
Playing with shotgun, I for long postponed Beast fight, I'm tired to use traps there, which are allmighty, same for grenades, toxic ones especially.
So I decided to try to do this fight without traps, and grenades, except HE III which arn't that OP.
Last few moments of that fight.
My shotgun start to jamm a bit, barrel start to spit lead instead of shot it, I was wounded, exhausted and determined to survive.

At first I tried to do that without Temporal Manipulation psionics.

I didn't bring enough psi boosters, because initially didn't want to use psionics, so, last moments of fight were quite tight.

But I won.

R.I.P. Dan, Saban, trusty plasma walker...

Once I get Iron Grip

Don't want to spoil your holiday, or play the game instead of you, but this feat brings you nothing except -15% damage penalty.
At least make hard save before you take it.

Is there a point to energy pistols? Plasma Pistol has big output, sure, but at 40 AP it's basically a cannon, and you rarely one-shot things in this game (so far) except with a good Snipe, the Electricity Pistol is just a niched liability, and the Laser Pistol seems to have nothing to offer when compared to other weapons. I'm also mildly salty that there's no energy rifles, but I'm not sure what the point would be.

A point? It's a very good weapon. ESP is extremely good at opening fights - good damage, and stun. Laser could spit 5 shot a turn, plasma - 2 with high Dex.
You just need right feats for them, and craft them with amplifier. so your crit bonus could be 900% I think. Laser pistol will be your main weapon, plasma for armored targets, and ESP for first shot.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Should I work for Coretech if I want high quality Electronic components or can the Institute of Tchort deliver that for me instead? If I don't need to work for Coretech, which of the remaining factions has the best store?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Should I work for Coretech if I want high quality Electronic components or can the Institute of Tchort deliver that for me instead? If I don't need to work for Coretech, which of the remaining factions has the best store?

Coretech is the best *only* electronics source in the game, all the other sources of electronics components will be mixed with other things to a far bigger degree. Tchort has an okay range though.

However, you have to remember that component quality will be level adjusted, so ultimately the "chase the components" game is a bit of a mixed bag. There's also literally an endless supply of components in expeditions, there's so much in the loot it isn't funny

Jezal_k23

If I'm gonna get better components from Expedition anyway, then I might go Praetorian this playthrough simply because I never did that before. Would be nice to experience a new quest line.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
All your components are literally scaled to your level I wouldn't worry about it. The shop is just a refreshable, levelled supply that you can visit via rift walking to Core City.

I'd still go Coretech though

In more important news you can apparently
finish Expeditions with a dead Ferryman, rejoice and shoot him in the face!

All your components are literally scaled to your level I wouldn't worry about it. The shop is just a refreshable, levelled supply that you can visit via rift walking to Core City.
Bethesda does level-scaled items: absolute shit!
indie dev does level-scaled items: it's fantastic!
Items don't scale. Sometimes shops update their inventories based on completing parts of the main quest but that's it.

Jezal_k23

I'd still go Coretech though

In more important news you can apparently
finish Expeditions with a dead Ferryman, rejoice and shoot him in the face!

That's interesting information. But some shops seem to offer better components to me. Like for example Ezra's shop seems to fucking suck so far, and for metal components Leonie absolutely rocks.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Items don't scale. Sometimes shops update their inventories based on completing parts of the main quest but that's it.

The items are the same or similar, idk how the psi mentors work, but the quality of the components however does scale. You don't get 160 quality components as hand placed loot, anywhere

Ezra's just doesn't have the same range, it's different for stuff like rapid reloaders and equivalents, they are just in certain loot tables only, but you will find most of that stuff in the Institute shops

Last edited:
The items are the same or similar, idk how the psi mentors work, but the quality of the components however does scale.
But it doesn't. Go check the Junkyard shops on a max level character, the quality there will still be shit. Go check Marty as soon as he becomes available, he'll be selling ~100 quality max parts, the same as he will at the very end of the game. Shops don't care about your level. Sometimes they care about quest progress, sometimes they care about mercantile, but level doesn't matter.

epeli

Arcane

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Once I get Iron Grip

Don't want to spoil your holiday, or play the game instead of you, but this feat brings you nothing except -15% damage penalty.
At least make hard save before you take it.

Unless it's actually bugged, yeah, it does. With the Shield Arm feat, you have a 50% chance to block several dozen (+30% from the feat) mechanical melee damage with a riot shield. This procs independently of Spear Guard, and both sources can stack. That shit could block stiff sledgehammer hits.

What's kind of stupid is that it's a fucking riot shield that offers no protection from gunfire. A minor accuracy penalty to enemies would be a much appreciated feature.

Urthor seems to be a having a dumbfuck moment, nothing in Underrail is scaled to player's level.

The real answer is that shops upgrade their inventories at key milestones in the game.

Codex Year of the Donut
The real answer is that shops upgrade their inventories at key milestones in the game.
I haven't played Underrail in a while, is there any good reason for this?
Do you unlock trading between factions? Get access to new materials?
Or is it just arbitrary?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I haven't played Underrail in a while, is there any good reason for this?
Do you unlock trading between factions? Get access to new materials?
Or is it just arbitrary?

There's a great reason for it, actually: Shops still being filled with low-quality components that you no longer have any use for during the late game would be really fucking annoying.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
That too, but you might as well save it. We're dealing with a dillhole who's trying mightily to find out whether or not his IMMERSHUN has been ruined due to the game world not being wholly indifferent to the player.

It's a form of overcompensating reaction to shit-tier RPG developers who build the entire game world solely to serve the player, and who either can't or just plain don't try to create the illusion of indifference and of a living world greater than just one individual.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't think it's expecting too much for a game to explain why shops are now selling better quality equipment than before.
Underrail's explanations are valid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom