Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
So... it's either have Hacking or Electronics, or else fuck you?

It's odd to have such a blatant binary outcome based on skills you wouldn't normally imagine progression being based on, for sure. The only thing I can think of is that the low level they allow for entry in the DLC is going to fuck with a LOT of peoples' expectations. Once I realized I could go back and forth at will it became much more enjoyable to me.

Tigranes

Arcane
OK so I am level 12, and I haven't even completed Depot A yet. Hard difficulty. is this normal, or is classic XP system completely broken?

Well, the last time, I was level 6/7 starting Depot A on Oddity. That's on the lower side, but 12 seems very overpowered.

(play oddity)

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Can nobody seriously help me with some end game question? Styg epeli

Where does the ferryman take the sub after he towes it from the research facility??

im kind of stuck :(

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well, the last time, I was level 6/7 starting Depot A on Oddity. That's on the lower side, but 12 seems very overpowered.

(play oddity)

12 is a bit high (hitting level 10 when turning in the armadillo parts is about right), but "very" overpowered? You're all absolutely insane. I know this game better than the palm of my hand knows my dick, and going in at level 6 on Hard is completely daft.

There is LITERALLY no way on God's Earth for a low-PER, sub-level 8 character to survive that area in any event without save-scumming or else carpet-bombing every inch of it, both of which are extremely cheesy. None exists. Goggles and food aren't even enough to see the mines that will surely kill you in one hit. That's notwithstanding the snipe-distance, multi-turn entangles and -15 per-hit acid puddles that you won't initially have any protection against unless you get lucky/camp a vendor or resort to truly extreme kiting and corner-abusing.

It still gives me a stiff challenge even though I know exactly how many enemies there are, what they are, where they are, and even (three and half years since I last played) where most of the mines are.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am playing Underrail for the first time and I've gone with an evasion/dodge swordsman and it's great. I'm only level 6 and only on GMS I had a problem with the drones because I didn't have any EMP grenades to stun them. They seem to have a high DR/DT stat, but if you manage to land 2-3 crits, they go down easily, assumming you fight only one at a time. This was done at level 5, but I think that with Expose Weakness which I took at level 6, they would have been easily killed.

Here is the current build https://underrail.info.tm/build/?BgYHCAYDBQYADwAoKCgAAAUAGSgKABkoAAAAAAAoACQxRMKMEt-_
What I'm aiming for: https://underrail.info.tm/build/?Hg...gACQxRMKMEgZBS8KNXADCmcKOwrF0dXfinJAK4qe-Bd-_

ciox

Liturgist
Unless it's actually bugged, yeah, it does.

I mean, you will spent a feat for armor, that you wont be using that much.
Dunno.
I just think it shouldn't have the damage nerf. I took the feat mostly out of curiosity because I really wanted to see it in action, but the damage nerf against all enemies melee or ranged feels wrong, given how shields in this game can only ever block melee enemies unlike other RPGs.

thesecret1

Arcane

(play oddity)

12 is a bit high (hitting level 10 when turning in the armadillo parts is about right), but "very" overpowered? You're all absolutely insane. I know this game better than the palm of my hand knows my dick, and going in at level 6 on Hard is completely daft.

There is LITERALLY no way on God's Earth for a low-PER, sub-level 8 character to survive that area in any event without save-scumming or else carpet-bombing every inch of it, both of which are extremely cheesy. None exists. Goggles and food aren't even enough to see the mines that will surely kill you in one hit. That's notwithstanding the snipe-distance, multi-turn entangles and -15 per-hit acid puddles that you won't initially have any protection against unless you get lucky/camp a vendor or resort to truly extreme kiting and corner-abusing.

It still gives me a stiff challenge even though I know exactly how many enemies there are, what they are, where they are, and even (three and half years since I last played) where most of the mines are.
Sure step to make acid puddles completely irrelevant, craft leather armor out of mutant dog leather to make acid stream from muties a non-issue. Exploit doorways to deal with swarms. Finished junkyard at level 8 playing on Dominating, with a fair chunk of those skillpoints being spent on non-combat skills. For difficult fights, utilize molotovs and flashbangs for crowd control, and make liberal use of morphium and adrenaline. It really isn't that hard once you make all the acid a complete non-issue with the proper armor and perks - the only way they can hurt you is melee (and acid entangle, but that doesn't hurt all that much and rarely succeeds if you have high evasion), and there's a doorway to stunlock an enemy in on every map.

We're dealing with a dillhole who's trying mightily to find out whether or not his IMMERSHUN has been ruined due to the game world not being wholly indifferent to the player.

It's a form of overcompensating reaction to shit-tier RPG developers who build the entire game world solely to serve the player, and who either can't or just plain don't try to create the illusion of indifference and of a living world greater than just one individual.
There's nothing wrong with Rusty's question. Misspelling "immersion" does not constitute an argument, and if the gameworld suddenly changes (even if subtly), it is entirely fair to expect an in-game explanation for it. Don't be like Pete Hines.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
A question for anyone having finished exploring the research facility:

Some more help needed please, about half of the DLC.
Is cracking the music cypher required to leave the Nexus? A security cam catches me when I head back up and activates a Naga Protector, which means it's not possible to go through there.
Edit: OK, killing the cam buys some time to turn on sneak and get away. Still feeling like I missed something huge at this location, though. Are we supposed to acquire something huge for camp security or anything?

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
For difficult fights, utilize molotovs and flashbangs for crowd control, and make liberal use of morphium and adrenaline.
Yep, and now you also can reduce cooldowns thanks to a very cheap investment into TM. Grenadier plus limited temporal increment is hilarious. And LTI itself is on a 3 turn cooldown.

I've actually revised my chemical pistols & grenades to include temporal now, because cooked shot is on a 2 turn cooldown. :D

razvedchiki

Erudite
I am playing Underrail for the first time and I've gone with an evasion/dodge swordsman and it's great. I'm only level 6 and only on GMS I had a problem with the drones because I didn't have any EMP grenades to stun them. They seem to have a high DR/DT stat, but if you manage to land 2-3 crits, they go down easily, assumming you fight only one at a time. This was done at level 5, but I think that with Expose Weakness which I took at level 6, they would have been easily killed.

Here is the current build https://underrail.info.tm/build/?BgYHCAYDBQYADwAoKCgAAAUAGSgKABkoAAAAAAAoACQxRMKMEt-_
What I'm aiming for: https://underrail.info.tm/build/?Hg...gACQxRMKMEgZBS8KNXADCmcKOwrF0dXfinJAK4qe-Bd-_

It will only get better and better,by the way what armor are you using?on my swordmaster of hoeth i have siphoner tabis/tactical vest and a kevlar balaclava.

Candide

Educated
To deal with far away enemies my (so far) purely melee build has been relying on traps. Bring people to me and once they get close, welcome to hell. Unless I miss, then it's oopsie, I'm dead (usually). Nets help a lot too.

I'm also desperate for a Stingball Grenade blueprint and I can't find it anywhere.
Ladelman (expedition merchant) sells the blueprint

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
(play oddity)

Played since release with Classic xp, always hated Oddity (of course I never really tried it, was just stuck in "need muh xp for kills" mode). First run on DLC and I am doing Oddity, I am SOLD on it, LOVE ODDITY now.

I think for an explorefag its particularly good, you get a real buzz from poking around in every nook and cranny and finding those Oddities. I would now highly recommend it to anyone starting the game.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
OK so I am level 12, and I haven't even completed Depot A yet. Hard difficulty. is this normal, or is classic XP system completely broken?

(play oddity)

Yes. Level 12 in an early game area is totally fucked.

Last week I've went through Depot A at least 4 times and if you gather all the Oddities then you will reach lvl 10 by the end of Depot A. Easily.

That's lvl 3 before I even save Newton.
F33E818F38D23D69849BE62D7195355845199996

(play oddity)

Played since release with Classic xp, always hated Oddity (of course I never really tried it, was just stuck in "need muh xp for kills" mode). First run on DLC and I am doing Oddity, I am SOLD on it, LOVE ODDITY now.

I think for an explorefag its particularly good, you get a real buzz from poking around in every nook and cranny and finding those Oddities. I would now highly recommend it to anyone starting the game.

Oddity is brilliant because it combines XP leveling with exploration.

Also it frees the player from the necessity of killing everything.

Yeah. As an explorefag, I love this shit.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

There are EMP grenades in the GMS compound. First room left from the elevator.

Edit: That's a sweat ass build. I'm curious how it works out because a lot of people are sperging against Dodge/Evasion.

Parabalus

Arcane
Where is the entrance to the monolith at the beginning of the black sea, from the pirates somewhere, but which area?

And the Black Rock totem in the temple, what do you do with it once it's on the ground (and do you even need the torch to knock it down)?

What info do you need for the natives graveyard?

Ferryman told me the bodypart, and is the symbol from Yngwar enough to identify the correct 'tomb'? That everything?

Anyone knows if you can find Stasis mentor during the regular content or in expansion content only?

I got it before expedition, unsure whether Oculus or University.

You need to apply mineral oil or do a thing with Azif in Oculus first. Also where is the goddamned corpse? Thousands of natives have died and I still can't find the goddamned stack of protruding bones

I didn't need to do anything beforehand. You basically need two things to find the torch:

1. Know which grave
Either Yngwar gives the symbol to you, or you see it on the head of the hammer in the hands of the statue in the center of the area which holds the entrance to the native king cave. Symbol is on the throne, opposite side of crank.
2. Where it is
Ferryman
3. Pull it out somehow
The crank can be already attached, and is seemingly randomized, but it's in the graveyard itself

If these things aren't randomized you could grab it right at the start of the game. I also could identify it without Azif.

What I'm curious is, with it you can kill/see the native chief, but what do you get from it?

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane

(play oddity)

Um...

So, Blaine, I rerolled a spear build today, fairly similar to yours, and went into Depot A at Level 7 on Hard.

First, a 3-PER dude with no goggles/food but Paranoia can detect most/all Depot A mines after a delay. Can't see the secret doors though.

Second, dude did just fine with spears, traps and grenades.

Obviously, Depot A is where many a build runs aground & some builds that will be great later might struggle mightly here. Any character with Quick Tinkering & grenades is pretty much optimised for Depot A.

I'm level 9 now exploring the caves / passages with TNT, and dude is fine, just has to avoid some engagements until later & be very careful. Surely 12 for Depot A is trivial?

thesecret1

Arcane
a lot of people are sperging against Dodge/Evasion.
Playing high dodge and evasion myself. So far, evasion is working quite well - I'd say about half or more enemy attacks miss. On the flipside, when they do hit, it's a major problem since light armor. Personally, I combine it with a good medium shield emitter, so that ranged attacks that do hit are usually negated, and frighten any melee enemies that get too close. The only things that fuck me up are snipers that get lucky (that's usually instakill) and psionics. Crossbowmen also tend to be quite dangerous, but not nearly as much as the other two, while regular gunslingers are mostly irrelevant (unless they start throwing grenades) and melee are always irrelevant unless I fuck up and allow them to actually get close and personal, at which point it's usually game over.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
a lot of people are sperging against Dodge/Evasion.
Playing high dodge and evasion myself. So far, evasion is working quite well - I'd say about half or more enemy attacks miss. On the flipside, when they do hit, it's a major problem since light armor. Personally, I combine it with a good medium shield emitter, so that ranged attacks that do hit are usually negated, and frighten any melee enemies that get too close. The only things that fuck me up are snipers that get lucky (that's usually instakill) and psionics. Crossbowmen also tend to be quite dangerous, but not nearly as much as the other two, while regular gunslingers are mostly irrelevant (unless they start throwing grenades) and melee are always irrelevant unless I fuck up and allow them to actually get close and personal, at which point it's usually game over.

That's why I use the Yell perk so that the enemies offensive skills are reduced, therefore I have a higher change to dodge/evade attacks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom