Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that make you feel lonely

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
far outside of them safe populated areas in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - at night, with a crazy full moon shining overhead, with only an occasional manic snork shadow jumping over its mesmerizing orb - and all you have is crappy 1st gen night-vision that flattens sight and emotions alike - so you shoot a burst at a rock or a dead tree just to check you are not in fact a ghost and can still affect the world with your leaden touch of anti-Midas - and then a greenwashed flat chimera or a fucking kevlar kat rips you a new one and you bleed to another death, cursing the cross with your cheeki breeki breath

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
So many games and nobody mentioned Alone In The Dark ?

:decline:
Are the old sequels to that game worth playing? I played the original (I assume you are talking about the original from 199x?) My buddy bought AITD2 and it looked like more of the same which is cool, but we were too dumb to even solve the first puzzle. I always thought about playing them again but it is has been so long, I figured it is probably a game that didn't age that well?

oscar

Arcane
Pathologic
Amnesia
Azrael's Tear
Transcendence
The 7th Circle
Unclaimed World
Zeno Clash (the early sections)
Lost Dimension

This track

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are the old sequels to that game worth playing?

The first part of the trilogy is the best. If you didn't play it, it's worth trying. Of course the graphic representation of character/monsters aged, but the mansion still looks good. Interface takes some time to get used to. Locking you in a house without any help made it great. Plus the emphasis on puzzles and narration element. The french CD version has some good voice acting, as most of the voice actors come from the theatre scene. The soundtrack from Philippe Vachey also builds a creepy mood, which is of course important in game such as this and is why I mentioned it in this thread.

The sequel has some funny/good moments, but it tends to be more action oriented. But it doesn't work really well, because of the camera angles where you can't even see the enemy, but he can shoot you. The problems with interface are even more evident, and they just make things worse, as we try using object on object and solve a puzzle, which are simpler than in it's predecessor. But if you want to beat the shit out of a pirate zombie goons as a Santa Claus with a frying pan, you should play it.

The third part is set in Wild West, and it is actually really good. There is more elements of mystery, puzzles and thanks to the setting that wasn't overused it felt more unique.The main letdown for some people was that despite having many places to visit, the player still had to go through a specific path like in a typical adventure game to move forward with the story. There are some enemies that you can kill, but many of them need specific items/actions to be killed.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
A lot of walking simulators are like this. Dear Esther, Home is where one starts, Electric Highways.

Then you have STASIS and CAYNE.

Homeworld. Portal. Half-Life. Dead Space. Deus Ex at times.

And I'm going to mention Witcher 3, only because it's got one of the highest contrasts I've experienced in gaming. It normally occurs after finishing the main quest in an area or chapter, and suddenly after being surrounded by all these characters and going through all the emotion, you're left alone in empty buildings or fields, forests etc. So, I guess there's abandonment and depression on top of loneliness. It's a direct result of mixing story driven game with open world bullshit. The effects are brutal.

And if you've played Payday 2 solo, it's got a very surreal ambient where you can find yourself in some dark corner or alleyway, with the city lights in distance, but here you are in the outskirts, by some old warehouse, waiting for a guard to leave or running down sewer tunnels carrying loot bags.

Last edited:

Mikeal

Arcane
The first part of the trilogy is the best. If you didn't play it, it's worth trying. Of course the graphic representation of character/monsters aged, but the mansion still looks good. Interface takes some time to get used to. Locking you in a house without any help made it great. Plus the emphasis on puzzles and narration element. The french CD version has some good voice acting, as most of the voice actors come from the theatre scene. The soundtrack from Philippe Vachey also builds a creepy mood, which is of course important in game such as this and is why I mentioned it in this thread.

The sequel has some funny/good moments, but it tends to be more action oriented. But it doesn't work really well, because of the camera angles where you can't even see the enemy, but he can shoot you. The problems with interface are even more evident, and they just make things worse, as we try using object on object and solve a puzzle, which are simpler than in it's predecessor. But if you want to beat the shit out of a pirate zombie goons as a Santa Claus with a frying pan, you should play it.

The third part is set in Wild West, and it is actually really good. There is more elements of mystery, puzzles and thanks to the setting that wasn't overused it felt more unique.The main letdown for some people was that despite having many places to visit, the player still had to go through a specific path like in a typical adventure game to move forward with the story. There are some enemies that you can kill, but many of them need specific items/actions to be killed.

AOgqe84.jpg

I have come here to drink flasks and beat the shit out of gangsta-pirate-zombies with frying pan... and I'm all out of flasks.

Beastro

Arcane
The Genesis versions of Starflight and Countdown to Doomsday are good for that.

Starflight especially when you first leave your starting solar system.

The game has very little music, which combined with the sound effects, creates this feeling of exposed nakedness in a vast starfield with only one station to seek for safety. As a kid I was glad to get back to the station just to hear some music to keep me company:

Last edited:
Pretty much all open world games. There's always this overriding sense that the world is static and empty and nothing you do seems to matter and that you're wasting your time

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What remains of Edith Finch, aka "All your friends are dead.".

Firewatch, aka "Blue Balls."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom