Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Outmind

Augur
Fallout 4 has a lot of shortcomings, but I'd say that they nailed exploration. I love just being able to stroll into a city and check out the diners, apartments, and whatnot in search of electric fans and adhesive. I wish more RPG-heavy games took a similar approach. Dying Light was fantastic for the same reason, but that's an FPS with RPG elements...

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Fallout 4 has a lot of shortcomings, but I'd say that they nailed exploration. I love just being able to stroll into a city and check out the diners, apartments, and whatnot in search of electric fans and adhesive. I wish more RPG-heavy games took a similar approach. Dying Light was fantastic for the same reason, but that's an FPS with RPG elements...
It's just high density content. Gotta keep the dopamine drip going.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Shitloads of locations and collecting crap does not make up for well developed quests and characters. If anything it is done to distract people from the average work by the designers.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
$14.99 for GOTY. I know it will suck but I sort of want to play this trainwreck.

Also just went to the nexus to see what's what and found thison front page:

40208-1563886426-1815069723.jpeg

Any of you guys using the Jock Strap Mod?

I actually thought that exploration was much worse in FO4 than in previous Beth games. Before, you would be going somewhere and see an interesting place in the distance, you'd come closer and maybe there could be a quest outside or just inside or if not you'd just come in and explore the inside of the building and there would be enemies to fight of course but there would also be notes or terminal entries or journals or w/e that tell some sort of story. This being Bethesda writing it would make little to no sense but still... It was done much better in New Vegas, one of those there was I remember a former HQ of some company outside New Vegas itself where the CEO didn't trust anyone but his secretary and gradually went completely paranoid. There was a certain sort of theme and atmosphere to the building.
In FO4, you see an interesting place in the distance, you come closer to investi... five raiders start shooting at you and a couple of grenades are flying in your direction, you kill them and go inside and it's an open stairwell and 20 more raiders are shooting at you. You kill them all and collect all the desk fans and superglue and there is nothing else to do but leave the building. It was like this anywhere you went with a couple of exceptions, there was just loot and lots and lots of combat and that was all there was. Eventually this gameplay loop just started feeling really repetitive. The one thing that you would expect Bethesda to be good at is exploration and somehow in FO4 it wasn't.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Ok. How to play nuBethesda games: wait a few years until the GOTY edition is for sale for 75% off, so the modders have had time to fix everything.

I wanted to play an open world game with crafting, and FO4 was 75% off. I looked what the largest, most comprehensive mods with crafting are, if they work together, downloaded and installed them, debugged everything for a few hours, and started playing. Added a few more mods to stamp out the remaining irritations, and played for 20 hours.

As it is a Bethesda game, the thing you do is ignore the plot completely and just explore. And I have to say, that exploring is still enjoyable, and gunfights are fun.

At first, I ignored and declined all quests, but then I stumbled upon Ada, who promised me a robot workbench. Hm. Ok, let's do it.

And I have to say: not only does Bethesda not take anything whatsoever seriously, they couldn't write a decent quest or dialog if their life depended on it. Even while you have no say in the matter whatsoever, because the only answer you can give to any question is "yes". In very many different ways. No branching paths. Instead, they mock the setting and break the fourth wall. And the sad part is, that I think it is because they're trying to be clever and funny.

Turjan

Arcane
The Mechanist quest is pretty lame. There is some small branching at the end, which decides whether you can skip the last fight and end matters peacefully. The Mechanist will then become a quest giver, but it's just for some shitty randomized quest you probably do once at max. The robot workbench is quite fun to play around with though.

Having a base without settlers in that area is probably not the worst thing for some kind of playthroughs, either. Personally, I never used it though. There is a power level mismatch of the quest with regard to what you get out of it.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well
Necrophile alert!!! Reported.
CBBE is almost dead, almost only because of many skimpy clothing mods that weren't converted for a newer body replacer.

Man of culture combo is:
-Fusion Girl
-ZaZ Extended skeleton
-CBP Physics, fine tuned
-High Heels System+pack for fusion girl body replacer

SymbolicFrank

Magister
The Mechanist quest is pretty lame. There is some small branching at the end, which decides whether you can skip the last fight and end matters peacefully. The Mechanist will then become a quest giver, but it's just for some shitty randomized quest you probably do once at max. The robot workbench is quite fun to play around with though.

Having a base without settlers in that area is probably not the worst thing for some kind of playthroughs, either. Personally, I never used it though. There is a power level mismatch of the quest with regard to what you get out of it.

Well, yes, but I did see some youtube footage. It's all pretty cringe-worthy. Or is there a quest or faction that is actually interesting or fun?

But I did spend a few hours redecorating the Mechanist's base. That was pretty cool. Although, that reminds me: the guy who designed the menus and controls for PC should be hit hard and fired.

Yosharian

Arcane
Any mod recommendation for FO4? I would like to check out the DLCs since people seem to be praising it. I only played until I killed the kidnapper and seeing the flying ship, afterwards I just gave up and played Frost until I had enough.

So far I have:
- Unofficial Patch.
- Extended Dialogue Interface.
- Sim Settlement with its DLCs or whatever.
- Quieter Settlement.
- CBBE.
- Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (AWKCR).
- Armorsmith Extended.
- Def_UI.

I kinda want to install Horizon since I played with it before but I am not sure how it will work with Sim Settlement since it has its own thing or something and I would rather use Sim Settlement to let the game handle all that shit and not deal with it.

I am not sure which Weather/lighting mod I should install or ENB maybe, so far I am leaning towards Vivid since it seems to be vanilla and not too crazy changing things. if there are any recommendations for mods that would be great.
There's three things of note for people seeking to mod FO4:
This is a guide written by a Russian Fallout 4 modder. It serves as a useful starting point for modders to make their own complex mod setup. It includes the most common 'fix retarded shit in FO4' mods, and also contains instructions for a unique graphical modding method that is a little too complicated to go into here but basically involves replacing the game's core BSA files with ones that have the improved graphics built-in, for greater stability over the usual method. BiRaitBec is quite active on his comments page so feel free to ask him questions if you have any. He also has a Discord where you can find many friendly modders who will help you with any problems you have. Probably.
Horizon is the best overhaul mod that FO4 currently has in development. In the author's own words:

Horizon is a large scale overhaul of Fallout 4 that rebalances and expands the gameplay from the ground up. It contains thousands of changes, redesigned systems, and new additions to very carefully balance everything together. The goal of this mod is to create a more challenging and immersive experience.

Horizon is very complicated when you first play it, is not really a 'finished' experience, and suffers from feature-creep, as well as a lack of polish and overly unintuitive design in places. However, it really is the only overhaul that truly attempts to fix the problems at the core of FO4's design, in my opinion, and it is complete enough that you can enjoy a playthrough using it.

There is a new player guide (and wiki) for Horizon here: https://fo4horizon.gamepedia.com/New_player_guide
CTGW is the best large-scale mod list out there for Fallout 4 at the moment. Unfortunately it doesn't use Horizon; Ape75's focus is more on improving the action gameplay of Fallout 4, rather than role-playing and immersion aspects.

Fallout 4 modlist and guide. Focus on new quests, survival mode and settlement building, adding 60+ hours of content to the game! Easy to follow instructions on how to take modding to the next level.

A new update is in development at the moment but don't let that stop you from trying out CTGW as it is now, it's an excellent mod list. I will warn you that it is quite an ordeal to install the entire mod list, and it is quite easy to make mistakes during the process. If you do try it out, make sure you set aside several days minimum for installation, and take your time, following the instructions very carefully. Ape has a Discord that you can join to ask questions and get advice, they are very friendly there and I recommend joining.

Lastly:
This mod is quite amazing, but I only kinda recommend it because of the problems it has.

Provides Alternate start, Quick start, Normal start options. When you use one of the alternate start paths, there are over 800 dialogue edits, with voice and lip sync, so your character is no longer the mother/father of Shaun (or even a Vault Dweller, if you want). Great for role players.

Essentially this mod allows you to play FO4 as a character that isn't Shaun's father/mother. It changes almost every dialogue that exists in the game to allow this. The mod is kinda troublesome as it touches so many parts of FO4's code that it conflicts with many mods that are out there. As a result it doesn't play happily with big mod setups. Ape75 doesn't use it in CTGW as it's just too buggy. This is a real shame as it really ought to be an essential mod for anyone looking to make FO4 less shit. Nevertheless I strongly recommend trying it out at least once, especially with Horizon as it's really nice playing through FO4 without all the SHAAAAAAUN shit being thrown in your face.

PS: I tried Sim Settlements and didn't really like it. I think it's a little overrated. It does have some really nice aspects.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane

Well, yes, but I did see some youtube footage. It's all pretty cringe-worthy. Or is there a quest or faction that is actually interesting or fun?

But I did spend a few hours redecorating the Mechanist's base. That was pretty cool. Although, that reminds me: the guy who designed the menus and controls for PC should be hit hard and fired.

No, there's nothing interesting coming out of this. The difference is just that girl walking around in the upper area where you cannot build anything, plus you may have more of those typing robobrains left (which are just decoration). Ada will otherwise dispense the shitty radiant quests. The whole quest is kind of stupid, and that whole underground base is only interesting the first time you walk through.

The Rust Devils could have been an interesting faction, but no, they just fill up the leveled lists. The place where you put up a robot workbench (I mostly used the Red Rocket) will see frequent attacks by robot squads. That's about it.

Yeah, that interface. Let's better not talk about it. Without mods, building is quite a chore.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Well, I did play a few more hours, but I'm already bored. On the one hand, 25 hours for 15 Euro is not expensive. But on the other, I already regret giving Todd my money.

soulburner

Cipher
So... it's been eons since I stopped playing this shit, but I'm kind of bored and would like to give it another shot.

Questions:
- are there any mods that are currently recommended that make this game a tiny bit better?
- how are the DLCs? Are they worth it? Are they in any way interesting story wise? Do they introduce better dialogs, with more consequences? Do they add new locations and/or NPCs?
- does this game, while still being bad, have any interesting quests or locations or whatever that do seem to have at least a little bit of goodness?

Sorry, I couldn't read the few hundred pages since I last posted here ;)

DeepOcean

Arcane
So... it's been eons since I stopped playing this shit, but I'm kind of bored and would like to give it another shot.

Questions:
- are there any mods that are currently recommended that make this game a tiny bit better?
- how are the DLCs? Are they worth it? Are they in any way interesting story wise? Do they introduce better dialogs, with more consequences? Do they add new locations and/or NPCs?
- does this game, while still being bad, have any interesting quests or locations or whatever that do seem to have at least a little bit of goodness?

1 -Any mod that removes that power armor at level 3, the rest are optional, Horizon is too autistic, it fixes some problems but create others, stay away from if you hate OCD collecting and the settlement stuff, that stuff is required on Horizon. There are other overhauls like Immersive gameplay but any mod with the name immersive on it leave suspicious (cretins tend to use the word immersion alot so it is a big red flag).
2 - Pretty much mediocre and forgetful.
3 - Interesting quests on Fallout 3: Borderlands Edition? Nope, story is garbage Bethesda shit worse than Fallout 3 with Mass Effect dialog wheel. It is a turd inside of another turd.

Enemies have terrible pathfinding (they can't jump and get stuck on anything even on the rocks on the floor), they don't know how to react when shot at distance, they move at lighting speed as their animations are of poor quality with a ton of frame skipping with some ultra weird hitboxing detection, they barely react when shot, they only seek you out for 10 seconds before giving up and enemies have insane HP bloat. This is terrible as a shooter.

The RPG mechanics... well... what RPG mechanics? The writing is the worst cringe ever also.

Sure, there are some mods that kinda fix some of that stuff (creating other problems too) but you are only making a shitty game less shitty.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
I will when it comes to pc.
I had a PS4, played it for 20-25 hours. Honestly one of the blandest, corporate design games I"ve ever played. It's honestly the worst garbage I've played in the past 5-7 years easily. Do not play it, don't even aspire for it. It gives the term mediocre it's meaning. If anyone asks for the meaning of mediocre you can say "Horizon Zero Dawn".

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You've got it already and you're clearly going to fire it up again, so just bite the bullet and dive in. I've been pottering about and having a reasonable amount of 'brain off' kind of fun, although it's all so bland after 20 hours I'm already getting kind of bored. 'Mildly interesting exploration' is about the perfect description to be honest.

I've not messed around a massive amount with any exotic mods, but I will say that Vis-G item sorting is essential imo, and now I've used it, so is the FOV slider mod. You need F4 script extender for that, but it's simplicity itself. The item sorting mod not only categorises everything, it also displays the components everything is made of before you pick it up, so you can see which shit contains screws and nuclear material etc. It also tweaks the weight of stuff, because fuck going backwards and forwards carrying fans and fire extinguishers to dump off at the workshop.

I'm playing with Sim Settlements as well, because building everyone's houses myself wasn't my idea of a good time either, although now I'm annoyed when I get back to Sanctuary and the dumb fucks have got rid of all the crafting tables.

typical user

Arbiter

Questions:

1. Wait for Fallout 4: New Vegas. Should fix issues of both games and still allow you to test other stuff.

Actually you might want to grab Pipboy 2000 mod which replaces that huge bracelet on your arm, dialog interace to show you a list of your literal responses, a mod to make power armor parts unbreakable because they get destroyed too quickly, there is lots of stuff the game could've handled better.

2. I liked Nuka World most. Automatron brings a feature to build your own bots which is fun. But the story from all of them is shite, the settlement packs are rip-off. You can get better quality stuff in larger quantitiy for free.

3. The Glowing Sea. For quests hmm, maybe the main quest from Nuka World or Far Harbor. The rest is literally dog-shit.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fallout 4 is "good for what it is." Combat is fluid. Exploration is okay. Legendary/randomized weapons are fun. Survival mode is moderately challenging.

Yes, the writing is terrible but what do you expect from Bethesda?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom