Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Tigranes

Arcane
Door-camping and spamming grenades is pretty much mandatory, yes (though again, not every build utilizes Throwing, meaning you'll be save-scumming more often than not without it), but you still haven't addressed the fact that low-level, low-PER builds will die in one hit from a mine in that area, even with food and goggles. Again we arrive in save-scumming territory.
Depends. I went through at level 7 (and of course shortly after scrapped the character to try a different build, lol) with a 3 perception guy. He had 25 in traps, paranoia, goggles, trappers belt and detected just fine. Didn't snack on anything, though I remember finding bat food which adds 15(?) or so detection, so it could be an alternatve if you don't have any traps skill.

Admittedly, I tend to "move & stop to detect" in suspicious areas, which is a leftover from playing IE games where I got plenty of rogues killed by being to impatient.

As I pointed out several pages ago, 3 PER dudes with Paranoia and Trappers Belt will see all Depot A traps just fine, just not instantly.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Paranoia is absolute shit in this context. It's +20% of a score that's already garbage because you have very low PER. I can put on +80-150% fucking goggles instead later on in the game and not burn a feat, which is what I usually do on low-PER heavy melee guys.

That's why they added all the other shit to Paranoia, but it's still shit. You know what would make it NOT shit? An additive bonus that scales in the same way the derived attribute does! But nope, you get +20% to your already-shit score.

I'm not picking a shit feat just survive one dungeon without cheesing. I'd rather scrounge around for more levels first and muddle through. What you CAN do to finish Depot A at lower levels isn't necessarily what's DESIRABLE to do when it affects the entire rest of the damn game, which is also why the acid puddle avoidance feet can suck my cock.

Tigranes

Arcane
OK? I'm saying that a low PER character at ~level 7 can survive Depot A without reloading 20 times until your molotov lands exactly right and your dice roll exactly correctly. The ability to see traps despite low PER is a part of that.

Of course you can build a different kind of character and/or go in at level 8, 9, 10, 11, as you like. Did anybody on planet Earth dispute this?

You were claiming that level 7 dudes cannot do Depot A without ridiculous cheesing. I also find such play unfun, so if that was the case, I would just have come back later...?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rathound Regalia is a godsend. I can't imagine playing my Psi-Sniper without it, as I don't have enough points to budget it in tailoring for the leather armor. There is a new unique armor in the game though that I believe might be better. I am still looking for it.

Also managed to beat wave 2 without any deaths or a plasma turret. Locus of Control + Engrage, with the proper use of Force Field is huge.

hell bovine

Arcane
Paranoia is absolute shit in this context. It's +20% of a score that's already garbage because you have very low PER. I can put on +80-150% fucking goggles instead later on in the game and not burn a feat, which is what I usually do on low-PER heavy melee guys.
Which is your personal preference and has nothing to do whether you can or cannot do mutant land without quick-reloading at low level and with 3 perception.

I've found it useful on that character, then again I dislike quick-reloading. Just like I've found sure step & caltrop herding useful with my chem girl, even before she could craft chem pistols.

Parabalus

Arcane
What can you do with the monolith at the Black See entrance? I came to it from the pirate base, but couldn't interact with it from the cave. On the main map there is a hotspot which I can't reach though.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
So are shotguns shit weapon choice? How feasible are other new weapons, like spears and shit?

Parabalus

Arcane
All characters gaining the exact amount of skill points is one of the few things bothering me with the game tbh.

In other news, the newest patch gave us this among other things:

[Expedition] Temporal Distortion will now properly break incapacitation/freeze

:balance:

but
[Expedition] Continuum Ripple - Chance changed to 25% (down from 35%)

:negative:

That makes it even more of a Beast-only thing.
So ultimately the problem with how Dodge/Evasion are designed is that not putting points into them offers a significant reward - the possibility of using heavier armor, and if you do decide to put points into them, you better be prepared to invest a fuckload. Clearly the balance is off there and this is a significant problem with the skill system at this time. That said these suggestions to fix the system sound fairly reasonable so far.

Tygrende once mocked my 3 con PSI Sniper for having the lowest amount of hit points and no passive defense when I was complaining about Death Stalkers as the only enemy being almost unbeatable without cheesing the shit out of them. What he failed to take into consideration was that I already had a very early incarnation where I gave up Mechancis and Electronics for Dodge and Evasion. Suffice to say, the crafting skills, especially electronics, gave me fare more survivability than those two on top of giving me tremendous damage since crafted sniper rifles take a giant dump on unique ones.

Offense and corners are the best defense in this game. 3 CON is the masterrace.

Parabalus

Arcane
jet skiis are way too expensive, im done with the dlc now, and never even experience any of the fast ones, cos they cost a fortune, basically impossible and weigh 5 tonnes.

wtf styg?

Spoiler about the ending:
Also, the dlc ends rather abruptly after completing the ACORN quest? am I missing something? pack my bags, but i cant do so. the game isnt progressing? something wrong?
I agree with you,just got the thing and the end was meh. Also the whole expansion does lack in quests,the whole expedition quest like is,just go and explore x and x dungeon. Another annoying thing i noticed is the ferryman,you spend like an hour waiting for him so you could tell him that you need him to do X. All that could have been done on the radio.

What did you guys do with the Black rock monolith in the natives temple?

ciox

Liturgist
So are shotguns shit weapon choice? How feasible are other new weapons, like spears and shit?
They're all kind of support weapons, you don't create your whole build around them like you would with an SMG, AR or fist weapon.
Better have a backup plan because throwing all your chips into just one of the new weapon types will lead to pain, unless you're someone who does Dominating Iron Man runs anyway.

Black Angel

Arcane
Is there even a place to sneak into/attack the pirate base by yourself? Ive gone all around the base and can't find a single spot.
Like Marten said, go to a shore across the battleship. More specifically, like Yahota mentioned, try to sneak from between G4 and H4, there's a lot of blindspots there though you still need to watch out for pirates scouts. If you landed there, you should ended start entering the Port from Katya's homestead.

What can you do with the monolith at the Black See entrance? I came to it from the pirate base, but couldn't interact with it from the cave. On the main map there is a hotspot which I can't reach though.
There's another exit (or perhaps transition?) grid hidden by the caves walls. Should be able to enter a small cave space where you can see the entire Black Sea from there.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
alot of tin can fags in here so I think my question is appropriate, I've been running light armor psi Grenadier commando, what does triple reinforced super steel resistance look like, because the numbers from the wiki didn't impress me, yet it only shows 1 plate of reinforcement at 100 quality

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shotguns are fine weapons but ultimately they cost 25 ap and they don't have aimed shot so pistol/sniper/assault rifle do *far* more disgusting things

You can easily do a shotgun playthrough, just on Dominating it might be pretty difficult. They are basically mostly balanced vs the other classes of weapons that can alpha strike 4 enemies from full to zero

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Shotguns are fine weapons but ultimately they cost 25 ap and they don't have aimed shot so pistol/sniper/assault rifle do *far* more disgusting things

You can easily do a shotgun playthrough, just on Dominating it might be pretty difficult. They are basically mostly balanced vs the other classes of weapons that can alpha strike 4 enemies from full to zero

I feel the shotguns niche is when you're looking at 5 enemies cramped into a doorway or 5 name any cave creature all stacked in front of you in about a 50 degree cone

then you hit that burst and kill them all, that's assuming you don't have the movement to get away, and your ar is probably out of ammo, so I see it as only moderately viable on tin can type builds that don't have movement

on the other hand if you have patience and want to camp and kite all day then it's a beautiful weapon, that's assuming you have the movement to run away

I think the shotgun needs commando to compete with the ar, and smg, you can just do so much more with them

Pumps only cost 20 if you're using the foregrip upgrade (and you should be), so three shots with adrenaline/contraction. If you're using an auto shotgun you can't lower the cost but you can just burst for 50 so you still get at least three shots. They do pretty nice damage so I think three shots per round is alright. I'd sure as hell take them over firearm pistols.
Or at least that's what I thought before the buffs/nerfs from the most recent patch. I need to play around some more to get used to them.

Parabalus

Arcane
Is there even a place to sneak into/attack the pirate base by yourself? Ive gone all around the base and can't find a single spot.
Like Marten said, go to a shore across the battleship. More specifically, like Yahota mentioned, try to sneak from between G4 and H4, there's a lot of blindspots there though you still need to watch out for pirates scouts. If you landed there, you should ended start entering the Port from Katya's homestead.

There's another exit (or perhaps transition?) grid hidden by the caves walls. Should be able to enter a small cave space where you can see the entire Black Sea from there.

Thanks, you have to mouseover the exit to find it, missed it.

Found some scales on the ground, which weren't there when I entered expedition, makes me think they are from
Yngwar

What did you do with the key you get, is it the mcguffin for the native temple?

Tygrende

Arbiter
There is, in fact, another way to turn the plasma turrets on with no hacking or any other skill. It just requires going somewhere and getting something first. The statue is strictly hacking and electronics though.
Where @ tho?
Nexus

The real masterrace is having both offfense/mobility and decent HP/defenses in case the former doesn't work. They are by no means mutually-exclusive.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
There is, in fact, another way to turn the plasma turrets on with no hacking or any other skill. It just requires going somewhere and getting something first. The statue is strictly hacking and electronics though.
Where @ tho?
Nexus

The real masterrace is having both offfense/mobility and decent HP/defenses in case the former doesn't work. They are by no means mutually-exclusive.
wait are you saying my mlg pro gamer build with 3 in every stat isn't ideal

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
wait wtf Electro pistols hit multiple targetrs

Where have you been all my life jesus, what an endgame ballbuster

Comte

I used trashos guns build and I am slaughtering ratdogs. The only problem is I keep running out of ammo. Anytips for finding ammo in the beginning of the game? Or do I have to resort to fists? I have no melee skills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom