Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Black Angel

Arcane
Holy fuck
there's a 20 AGI check in Fetid Marsh. There's more and a lot of them higher than 10, but 20 is the highest. How the fuck any character supposed to pass that?
Thanks, you have to mouseover the exit to find it, missed it.

Found some scales on the ground, which weren't there when I entered expedition, makes me think they are from
Yngwar

What did you do with the key you get, is it the mcguffin for the native temple?
There were scales on the ground near the monolith at the Jaws? Dang, I guess I'll revisit that place. Did you managed to communicate with Yngwar properly somehow?

Also, you got a key there? All I got is a broken off spike from the pirate who got carbonized. Is that what you mean? Haven't done anything to it other than bringing it to Quinton to check what it is.

Sykar

Arcane
Holy fuck
there's a 20 AGI check in Fetid Marsh. There's more and a lot of them higher than 10, but 20 is the highest. How the fuck any character supposed to pass that?

Found some scales on the ground, which weren't there when I entered expedition, makes me think they are from
Yngwar

There were scales on the ground near the monolith at the Jaws? Dang, I guess I'll revisit that place. Did you managed to communicate with Yngwar properly somehow?

Also, you got a key there? All I got is a broken off spike from the pirate who got carbonized. Is that what you mean? Haven't done anything to it other than bringing it to Quinton to check what it is.

Simple, 16 Agi from level ups and 10 starting value, +2 from veteran feat, +1 from food and +1 from cave hopper boots for example. Easy peasy!

Black Angel

Arcane
Holy fuck

Yngwar

Simple, 16 Agi from level ups and 10 starting value, +2 from veteran feat, +1 from food and +1 from cave hopper boots for example. Easy peasy!
Makes sense but who the fuck would actually increase their AGI above 10 from level-ups :lol:

I can kind of see it, though. Untouchable thief, with maxed Stealth, Dodge, and Evasion. Complemented with 10 DEX and investment in other subterfuge skill. Until you meet some PSI enemies, that is :dead:

Makes sense but who the fuck would actually increase their AGI above 10 from level-ups :lol:
There are some veteran feats that require up to 13 agility, so it's not the absolute worst idea in the world now. But it's still pretty bad, and you need base 14 to make that jump even with all the temporary boosts you can get anyway.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
So are shotguns shit weapon choice? How feasible are other new weapons, like spears and shit?
They're all kind of support weapons, you don't create your whole build around them like you would with an SMG, AR or fist weapon.
Better have a backup plan because throwing all your chips into just one of the new weapon types will lead to pain, unless you're someone who does Dominating Iron Man runs anyway.

I've built around the spear, and it's a wholly viable alternative to the sledgehammer so far. It's almost without a doubt the most viable of all the new weapons.

Spears offer more versatility than hammers, and the ability to block melee attacks at up to a 100% chance (and pile on riot shield blocking up to 50% as well, if desired) is much more powerful than some folks might reckon, because blocking occurs prior to your energy shield taking damage, extending its lifespan. Once the energy shield is drained, blocking can save your ass on its own.

Also, you have a very decent chance of avoiding the worst depredations of knife cunts as long you activate Fend or get a spear hit in before they start in on you, and knife cunts are BY FAR the deadliest opponents for heavy hammer guys throughout most of a game.

Wurmheart

Barely Literate
alot of tin can fags in here so I think my question is appropriate, I've been running light armor psi Grenadier commando, what does triple reinforced super steel resistance look like, because the numbers from the wiki didn't impress me, yet it only shows 1 plate of reinforcement at 100 quality

I don't remember the exact qualities, but I think my super steel plates were 158, 157, 150 and 1 somewhere between 140-152.
Alongside a 145 ish sturdy vest.
And I did use both Armor Sloping +2 and Ballistics +2. So without those feats and specs you'd end up with 26 mechanic threshold and a higher armor penalty. (this is 39% less so 54 x 1.39 = 75% without that?)

cxnZYwM.png

If you have the DLC you may also want to check out some of the new leathers, I rather glossed over them but I think infused bison can get a near 50% mechanical res with very low armor penalty.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Man there's a spear that I got from the natives that is INSANE when used in conjunction with psi powers. Can't remember off hand what it's called though.

PEACH

Arbiter
Man there's a spear that I got from the natives that is INSANE when used in conjunction with psi powers. Can't remember off hand what it's called though.

Sørmirbæren Spirit Staff maybe? Might not be the one you're thinking of though, there are a handful that seem to have decent synergy with psi from what I remember.

Big ass item image behind spoiler.

bbec9ea260579ed0c787b33beb0aec7c.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Edit: Still on the topic of crawlers, I just want to state for the record what horseshit it is that they can consistently detect me while stealthing with 149 Stealth, while I'm apparently completely unable to detect them, despite having 13 Perception and nightvision. They just come out of stealth, stab, disappear, rinse and repeat, and the only way to detect them seems to be to bump into them when they come back - and the only indication I have of that is that the enemy turn takes a few milliseconds longer than the turns they're hiding in the ceiling.

Night vision only counteracts the darkness penalty to accuracy, and doesn't aid in detection.

You might want to try out detection goggles. That said, it's a bit absurd that an unaided PER of 13 isn't enough to detect them, but in fairness the stealth aspect is just about all they have going for them. Flat-out detecting them removes most of the complexity.

You can certainly sneak past them as well, but if you haven't detected them and they're anywhere close by, their eyeball meter will still fill eventually even if you have high Stealth, and they have very good Detection scores.

Black Angel

Arcane
Finally finished the DLC, really love how
it hints at the natives being the subislanders that left the underwater station during the disunion
but I still have
some of natives territory unexplored. I did committed genocide in parts of the village, though, which completely deterred anymore attacks as I explored the BSRF, Security Headquarters, Fetid Marsh, Viridescent Quarry (or what's left of it, anyway) and the underwater station all in one go. Also, it seems like there's a quest related to the natives, some thing about finding the torch or something. The graveyard is also some real spooky shit. So spooky, it scares the game's saving mechanism away :lol:

Parabalus

Arcane
Holy fuck

Yngwar

I did,
I had 9 INT. I think you need 8 to do it. You can get some Hypercerebrix from the doctor if you give him a cigar, if needed.

The Black Rock monument in the native temple is nothing but
a target for the Torch, you get an oddity for it. Disappointing tbh.

Since the oddity is 1/2 it kinda foreshadows the submarine voyage
, going there now.

Haven't found a use for the spike yet, same as you.

ciox

Liturgist
So are shotguns shit weapon choice? How feasible are other new weapons, like spears and shit?
They're all kind of support weapons, you don't create your whole build around them like you would with an SMG, AR or fist weapon.
Better have a backup plan because throwing all your chips into just one of the new weapon types will lead to pain, unless you're someone who does Dominating Iron Man runs anyway.

I've built around the spear, and it's a wholly viable alternative to the sledgehammer so far. It's almost without a doubt the most viable of all the new weapons.

Spears offer more versatility than hammers, and the ability to block melee attacks at up to a 100% chance (and pile on riot shield blocking up to 50% as well, if desired) is much more powerful than some folks might reckon, because blocking occurs prior to your energy shield taking damage, extending its lifespan. Once the energy shield is drained, blocking can save your ass on its own.

Also, you have a very decent chance of avoiding the worst depredations of knife cunts as long you activate Fend or get a spear hit in before they start in on you, and knife cunts are BY FAR the deadliest opponents for heavy hammer guys throughout most of a game.

I wasn't that taken by them tbh.
Basically they miss just as painfully as sledgehammers, but they have lower damage, lower electroshock damage if a generator is attached, no stun debuff, and the defense only works against melee.
That and the spear throw seems to take some stat jiggering that my puny brain doesn't understand in order to actually get reliable odds of hitting an unstunned target.

Obviously all of this is significantly reduced once you get Sweep and can burn through an entire battery with just one whack, and some of your better support feats, but the start is pretty eh, especially when guys toting firearms are running around.

Jezal_k23

Help. A friend of mine who's playing the game for the first time is dangerously close to siding with the Scrappers. He has Expedition installed. Should I tell him to go Black Eels?

ciox

Liturgist
Holy fuck

Yngwar

Those huge AGI checks are not that intimidating, you don't need veteran feats or building your entire character that way, just some Hopper gear (both armor and boots give +1), Supersoldier drugs for +4, food to get up to +3 and I'm sure there's more stuff I'm missing.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Speaking of which, I've never actually seen the Rig. Is it something I have to look for, or will Expedition take me there naturally? And is it in Hell's Gut or in the lower Underrail part?

redsky

Novice
Please tell me i can somehow move difficulty from normal to hard in current game. Its too easy with psi character, didnt know that and im 20 hours in new game. i finished the game 2 years ago, my mistake that i started on normal, but i remembered it was hard game before ( i played with guns, not with psi ).

Tigranes

Arcane

I wasn't that taken by them tbh.
Basically they miss just as painfully as sledgehammers, but they have lower damage, lower electroshock damage if a generator is attached, no stun debuff, and the defense only works against melee.
That and the spear throw seems to take some stat jiggering that my puny brain doesn't understand in order to actually get reliable odds of hitting an unstunned target.

Obviously all of this is significantly reduced once you get Sweep and can burn through an entire battery with just one whack, and some of your better support feats, but the start is pretty eh, especially when guys toting firearms are running around.

I'm not sure Spear would beat Hammers in an optimisation fight, but on Hard they seem plenty good enough, and most importantly, providing a fun/different playstyle.

I also find the Spear throw THC on unstunned targets a bit iffy, but Spear characters get quite a bit of versatility from a single melee weapon type - block, fight, throw, sweep, etc - and the added range can be fantastic (though god damn when that rathound alpha can hit you diagonally between 3 other rathounds but you're like 0.0001cm too far to do so because of how they got mashed together).

Took a shotgunner and spearman up to ~lv12 each, and I've found Spear more fun and fresh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom