Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

AR is the CHAD of Underrail Firearms.

They are, and they are incredibly boring. Never used them, and never will.
Yeah well CHADS have life in EZ mode. AR Burst tincan is also EZ mode in Underrail.

AR Tincan on DOMINATING is much easier to play than a crossbow trapper on normal...go figure.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Then let me clarify: I dont care what its called I dislike the psi stuff in Underrail and will probably never use it.

That's OK, and I completely understand you - I'll never use AR.
It's just, how to explain it clear - I like psi in Underrail, because it doesn't associated for me with magic in the first place, possibly because I have read some sci-fi (Strugatsky's brothers Six Matches for example) where there were psi powers, and they were completely scientific.

Anyway back to shotguns, I am curious about Recklessness feat and shotties, as each individual pellet that hits checks for a crit in theory this could be pretty awesome to take?

Right, you need as much crit as possible for shotguns.

On completley related note - I just tested shotguns after recent patch in Beast fight, and - ****!1111 they become more powerful. Before burst from my Tyranny on average could damage bladeling ~230+- damage, now I could inflict as much on two of them caught in burst cone.
Burst left two of them with 123 and 144 hp out of 390 - that wasnt possible before for sure.
Or could eliminate one. I mean, with boreshot shells, I don't think houndshot is viable now, but can't be sure as didn't test it yet.
So, I guess, shotgun damage lessened by 10% was careful adjusting in order not to make them OP. Don't say balancing because I don't want to attract Sowyer's spirit. )

Jezal_k23

I realize that it's comparable to magic, but nonetheless I feel like the in universe explanation is perfectly adequate for me to accept that it isn't magic. It helps that the writing goes to great lengths to try to make the Psi powers seem scientific first and foremost, they never pulled a power out of their ass without trying to explain it in a lore friendly way.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Fenix taviow I certainly agree that psi powers in Underrail are well themed and that they feel appropriately sci-fi-y and cyberpunk-y.

That being said, there are wizard staves now in addition to blue mana potions, enchanted circlets, and magic scrolls (beg pardon, "psionic mentors"). I'm afraid it's no longer possible to live in denial.

Black Angel

Arcane
Those huge AGI checks are not that intimidating, you don't need veteran feats or building your entire character that way, just some Hopper gear (both armor and boots give +1), Supersoldier drugs for +4, food to get up to +3 and I'm sure there's more stuff I'm missing.
Nah, as lukaszek mentioned, Supersoldier drugs is +2 only, and realistically you can only get +1 from food. +1 more from gear (boots or leather armor) or both for +2 if you only increase AGI up to 15 then it's possible.
Speaking of which, I've never actually seen the Rig. Is it something I have to look for, or will Expedition take me there naturally? And is it in Hell's Gut or in the lower Underrail part?
Ask some of the sailors, they'll tell you how to get there. You'll need a jet ski, obviously.
no?
supersoldier is dc only thing(also its +2).
I found some when exploring Lemurian's facilities. You can even
get it crafted by Medical Synthesis Unit found in some of them.
Please tell me i can somehow move difficulty from normal to hard in current game. Its too easy with psi character, didnt know that and im 20 hours in new game. i finished the game 2 years ago, my mistake that i started on normal, but i remembered it was hard game before ( i played with guns, not with psi ).
What build are you playing? High CON? Stealth? Psychosis/Tranquility? Do you also have crafting? Complemented with hacking/lockpicking/both? Or full-on trigger-happy no-nonsense combat build?

And the most important question: Classic or Oddity?
How has no one commented on this?
There's a LOT of things like this to comment on. I think with how big the expansion is it takes time for everyone to experience everything and spoiling things like this will, well, spoil the experience for some people, I guess.
I have never played with any psi skills as I have a fervent dislike of 'magic' in a sci-fi game, but from what I read psi is 'easy mode'. Not sure why Styg chose to do that, he has some kind of hard on for magic users or something?
Can magic in RPGs let you electrocute someone's brain? Make them experience their greatest fear? Create doppelgangers hell bent on destroying their targets? Cause them to fly in a blind rage? Force them to have mental breakdowns which amplifies any of the former? Or better yet, use an ability that lets you use any of those en-masse?
Can magic in RPGs let you throw a telekinetic punch that can stun someone? Create impenetrable force fields? Enhance your unarmed/fist attacks with force emissions? Throw lightning bolts or place a lightning trap, better yet against robots??
Can magic in RPGs let you throw an ice bolt, a fireball, an iceball, thermodynamically destabilize someone and if you happen to kill that someone with anything other than cold-based attacks they'll fucking explode? And let you do ALL this in one turn???
I'm sure there are RPGs that lets you do any or all of these out there, but is there any RPGs that lets you do any or all these in a setting like Underrail?

I don't get this impression that PSI is 'easy mode'. I'm playing a stealthy, low-CON, zero dodge/evasion, tranquility-PSI right now. I had great experience playing and finishing the game a second time with a similar build who DIDN'T invest into Metathermics at all, DIDN'T invest as much into Psychokinesis as Thought Control, and ALSO happened to invest into crafting properly. But this one right now I kind of get carried away and invested zero in crafting from the start and only starts putting points into Electronics and Biology (with Biology I only invest enough to let me craft psionic headbands) ONLY pretty late into the game, and with maximum investment in ALL psi-school (including the new Temporal Manipulation) I'm completely in a dangerous situation where I can't craft armors and utilize Super Steel at all.
Because of all these, I'm far more hard-pressed to keep my health at full, because otherwise Tranquility is rendered absolutely obsolete the moment my HP lose just 1%, and I distinctly remembered have no such trouble in my previous playthrough.

Frankly, all these talks about how a particular build being 'easy mode' is just obnoxious. No wonder Styg keep on nerfing good shit to kingdom come. I was looking forward to play trapper builds who relied on Quick Tinkering, and look at what you fuckers did that made Styg nerf that to oblivion.
The same with spears, I want to play a spartan-based Spear and Shield + throwing spears around like in 300, AND LOOK AT WHAT YOU FUCKERS DID :argh:
Can you help the doctor? What checks do you have to pass? What happens when you do help him?

If you give him a cigar he'll offer you hypercerebrix.
I meant the doctor in the Medical Center that's psychic.
Ah. Can't help you there,I got the robot to go in there for me. When I tried to enter it gave me a gameover so I couldn't interact with him at all.
What the doctor wants, and there's seemingly no way to argue otherwise, is death. You can see it after talking to the Deathman and the Man just outside the gate to him. With high Will (14 or 15 at the time, I forgot the exact number) I was able to resist his mind invasion completely. After that, I can choose to 'stay behind' and let the Man do the job, or using my high Will I can insist I want to 'help him', which gives him what he wants (death), but I got the feat which is utterly useless for PSI-characters. I tried reloading all the way to the start of the level and lets him invade my mind ALL the time, and the Man said I'm 'conditioned' to 'help him'. There's a Will check to resist, but I'm curious what would happen if I didn't, got the same feat anyway. So I reloaded a save to before making my decision with the Man after I resisted all the mind-invasion, chose to 'stay behind'... and got nothing. Oh well.

How did you got gameover from entering the chamber, PEACH? Did you tried to resist all the mind-invasion without sufficient Will, or did you let him invade your mind but then tried to resist the Man without sufficient Will?
For real though, how do I deal with the entangled console? I can't really progress and I'm stumped.
I was also wondering what the fuck am I supposed to do there. I imagined finding some tools to cut the overgrown vines or something. When I find no such thing, I was like, "Could it be?". So I threw a pesticide grenade at the console and... it worked.

What the fuck? Then I read the pesticide grenade's description and had some of my worst and shameful birdbrain moment :oops:
so like... wizards magic as opposed to sorcerers magic?
I wonder.... what's the difference between 'Wizards? and 'Sorcerers' anyway? When both translated to my mother tongue, they meant the exact same thing.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is there anyone who can satisfy my curiosity with the last Rift location before I hit up DC? I'm missing exactly one and it's bugging me, there should be one more somewhere

It is rather spoiler
98bAtwH.png

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I threw every grenade I had at the console, and sady I didn't have the pestide one on hand, so I just gave up on the grenade plan entirely. I hate asking for help on the internet because my generation is spoon fed everything, but there are times when I get unlucky like this. Never would have thought to try grenades again after I put them out.
Two more quick questions though,
After I deal with the console and finish up with the Horticulture, will I then be able to radio Oldman? I also went through the entire Nexus of Technology (except for the music room because holy shit), and I'm trying to radio Oldman and no response. Do I need to break into that room to radio him, or?
Thanks for the help mate!

Edit: Figured out the answers to both questions, got ahead of myself I guess. All that's left is the music puzzle, though there is no way I'll be able to solve it without some help. We'll see.

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I wonder.... what's the difference between 'Wizards? and 'Sorcerers' anyway? When both translated to my mother tongue, they meant the exact same thing.

I assume he is referencing D&D where Wizards do 'book' learning for spells, and sorcerers innately know the spells.

And regarding psi 'easy mode' I have never used it so no idea how easy, hard, or otherwise it is, I just see it mentioned alot.

But yes I agree FUCK BALANCE!! Sawyerism is ruining pc games...

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How is the critical damage calculated?
For a machete which has 10-15 damage with 140% critical damage bonus, ignoring any other modifiers, on a critical hit, the damage is 15 * 2.4 or is (10-15) * 2.4?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
That being said, there are wizard staves now in addition to blue mana potions, enchanted circlets, and magic scrolls (beg pardon, "psionic mentors"). I'm afraid it's no longer possible to live in denial.

Styg told yesterday, he like, or even he want to use or even embody in game every sci-fi trope. )
So...

Black Angel

Arcane
I threw every grenade I had at the console, and sady I didn't have the pestide one on hand, so I just gave up on the grenade plan entirely. I hate asking for help on the internet because my generation is spoon fed everything, but there are times when I get unlucky like this. Never would have thought to try grenades again after I put them out.
There should be some pesticide grenade somewhere in the Horticultural Center. You should even be able to craft one with Gas Grenade blueprint. You should also get a lot of pesticides component there.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Styg How come there was never a release announcement for Underrail on GOG? The last news post for it was for the trailer.

Are you sure? I vaguely remember there was a short news post regarding the release. In any case, we got plenty of visibility from GOG. We were in the best selling category for nearly entire week.

Six is a space alien, confirmed

We love tropes, but that's not all we do. ;)

hell bovine

Arcane
Can magic in RPGs let you electrocute someone's brain? Make them experience their greatest fear? Create doppelgangers hell bent on destroying their targets? Cause them to fly in a blind rage? Force them to have mental breakdowns which amplifies any of the former? Or better yet, use an ability that lets you use any of those en-masse?
Can magic in RPGs let you throw a telekinetic punch that can stun someone? Create impenetrable force fields? Enhance your unarmed/fist attacks with force emissions? Throw lightning bolts or place a lightning trap, better yet against robots??
Can magic in RPGs let you throw an ice bolt, a fireball, an iceball, thermodynamically destabilize someone and if you happen to kill that someone with anything other than cold-based attacks they'll fucking explode? And let you do ALL this in one turn???
I'm sure there are RPGs that lets you do any or all of these out there, but is there any RPGs that lets you do any or all these in a setting like Underrail?
Arcanum, unfortunately it's kind of wasted on the terrible-no-good combat. But I actually prefer Arcanum's technology vs. magic approach, because you can't max both. Whereas psi is op in Underrail precisely because you don't have to compromise on tech. You can be a cave wizard and a genius inventor who crafts only the best equipment. Especially since both psi and crafting benefit from high intelligence.

Candide

Educated
Opening up the waterways so that you can jetski from e.g. Core City to SGS to Camp Hathor has really fleshed out the Waterwor... Underwor... Waterrail? I like it. More exploration and more Protectorate scum to zone out.

Black Angel

Arcane
Arcanum, unfortunately it's kind of wasted on the terrible-no-good combat. But I actually prefer Arcanum's technology vs. magic approach, because you can't max both. Whereas psi is op in Underrail precisely because you don't have to compromise on tech. You can be a cave wizard and a genius inventor who crafts only the best equipment. Especially since both psi and crafting benefit from high intelligence.
Yeah, but the magic in Arcanum is straightforward fantasy-based magic. There are no scientific explanations or theories like there are in Underrail. And I love Underrail's approach where even psychic powers can be further augmented with technology, as much as fantasy-based magic that can't go hand-in-hand with steampunk-based technology of Arcanum.

Tigranes

Arcane
Santiago the old man took out his whale Balor, level 14. Spears are legit cool. Until you lose yout spare amidst some corpses...

Actually stumbled on Balor a bit too early, so exciting times stealthkilling the stragglers then setting up poisoned traps in a back alleyway. One rare crawler poison trap can screw even a 20 str man. Molotovs at tegular intervals to keep one side at bay, regenerative vest for extra healing.

Hoping to try shield and spear hoplite setup soon with Iron Grip.

Parabalus

Arcane
I don't get this impression that PSI is 'easy mode'. I'm playing a stealthy, low-CON, zero dodge/evasion, tranquility-PSI right now. I had great experience playing and finishing the game a second time with a similar build who DIDN'T invest into Metathermics at all, DIDN'T invest as much into Psychokinesis as Thought Control, and ALSO happened to invest into crafting properly. But this one right now I kind of get carried away and invested zero in crafting from the start and only starts putting points into Electronics and Biology (with Biology I only invest enough to let me craft psionic headbands) ONLY pretty late into the game, and with maximum investment in ALL psi-school (including the new Temporal Manipulation) I'm completely in a dangerous situation where I can't craft armors and utilize Super Steel at all.
Because of all these, I'm far more hard-pressed to keep my health at full, because otherwise Tranquility is rendered absolutely obsolete the moment my HP lose just 1%, and I distinctly remembered have no such trouble in my previous playthrough.

You can go full quad PSI, quad crafting, get all 3 social skills, and lockpicking/hacking/stealth.

Tranquility PSI is the strongest build in the game and trivializes DOMINATING, how PSI has escaped the nerfhammer is a mystery.

Bergblatstein

Novice
Questions and some observations.

So far i explored every location in Black Sea except
Savage lands.

Since i work for pirates i cant get to
the Hexagon Hippy so am i carring these
Lemurian hand-helds for nothing?

I found a tablet that i cant acsess becouse Phil (C4)
isnt authorised, since it names the owner and i cant hack it
is there a way to exchange implant microchip?

I read in a spoiler about a native exile who can give some
clues on things.
Does he, when first encounterd, apear hostile and is he
alone in a small cave worshiping some totem?
This was somwhere in north western corner of map.

Cap Svana told me of a time she bailed on Senior Citizen Awsome
but he got out by pulling himself by his bootstraps.
Could this guy be H. that Ferryman mentions and is he around?

I climbed the Jaws monument and found Steve the Pirate :(
broke off a piece and took it to Quinton who had some comments and
Azif who dosnt react to it but i still havent compleated Nosek.
Wanna see if Dyson reacts next.

I havent found any info on Aconr other than its importance.
Is it just the missing peace of the monolith?
Like a way for someone to use shadow-stuff the terminals mentioned?
Im having truble turning it in to anyone whithout knowing more.

Cadmus reacts to any Lamurian place i clear but im not seeing any
impact it has on the faction.
For example those mines and whatever his guys
striped from industrial complex, i dont see anywhere.
Does it mather in the end?

Donie has a dialogue option (Mercantile) that doesnt seem to ever update,
some incoming shipments?

Parabalus

Arcane
Any decent way to trigger Aran attacking?

Finally finished the DLC, really love how
it hints at the natives being the subislanders that left the underwater station during the disunion
but I still have
some of natives territory unexplored. I did committed genocide in parts of the village, though, which completely deterred anymore attacks as I explored the BSRF, Security Headquarters, Fetid Marsh, Viridescent Quarry (or what's left of it, anyway) and the underwater station all in one go. Also, it seems like there's a quest related to the natives, some thing about finding the torch or something. The graveyard is also some real spooky shit. So spooky, it scares the game's saving mechanism away :lol:

The torch is the mcguffin
that lets you kill the expedition boss and a few natives.
You don't get much for it though, an oddity (+ temple one) and you can brag to Azif about it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

it hints at the natives being the subislanders that left the underwater station during the disunion
but I still have
some of natives territory unexplored. I did committed genocide in parts of the village, though, which completely deterred anymore attacks as I explored the BSRF, Security Headquarters, Fetid Marsh, Viridescent Quarry (or what's left of it, anyway) and the underwater station all in one go. Also, it seems like there's a quest related to the natives, some thing about finding the torch or something. The graveyard is also some real spooky shit. So spooky, it scares the game's saving mechanism away :lol:

You don't get much for it though, an oddity (+ temple one) and you can brag to Azif about it.
Where is that graveyard you are talking about? Also did you do the monolith part? It seemed pretty meh for all the trouble went trough sneaking past the pirates. It just gave me some vision and that was all.

Parabalus

Arcane

but I still have

Where is that graveyard you are talking about? Also did you do the monolith part? It seemed pretty meh for all the trouble went trough sneaking past the pirates. It just gave me some vision and that was all.

Monolith at the entrance? Got a vision, a spike I didn't find a use for and saw the scales of Yngwar. Useless all in all.
Graveyard is near a ferryman docking point, just a bit down from the joint security dungeon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom