Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TOEE is orgasmic

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Is alt click a temple+ thing? It is working now but I am sure it wasn't before! I tried shift, alt, ctrl, and all together in various combinations -.-

Need to figure out where to go now that the moat is done. I read that the Meadow is for level 6. I'm still only 4. p.s. Man Nulb looks like a pain to explore >.<

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Speedhack is sooo good, saves my sanity.

edit: If anyone struggles to make it work properly, load the game in speed engine and change the speed, check the game. If it doesn't speed up your characters (but some background animations seem faster), go back to cheatengine and load the game again. Then it should work.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

With the newer patches co8 added a bunch of "you better be a pro at building and playing characters or you'll get utterly demolished" stuff. Very obnoxious that you can't opt out of it. Fan fic amateur game designers gonna fan fic amateur game design.

Is alt click a temple+ thing?
Yes.
Many convenience features, such Alt-Click to quickly sell items

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Ahh cool, it helps a LOT! Just got Level 5, nothing gonna stop me now!

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
nothing gonna stop me now!
Balor.png

:shredder:

Lol. Was not prepared for that one the first time through, barely made it through the grace of Solid Fog and my sorcerer's endless magic missiles. As tough as it was through, I remember the princes to be far worse.

Max Damage

Savant
I never finished all of Hommlet's quests, it's the worst part of the game. Not a fan of Welkwood Bog either, it can be quite hard for lvl1 parties. I just do a couple of random encounters (or none if I got exp from opening vignette), scribe some scrolls via gold from selling church's items and go straight to Moathouse. It honestly isn't that hard even if you don't recruit Elmo, as long as your party composition makes sense. That, or you can just recruit Spugnoir/Elmo/Fruella and roll over Moathouse anyway. That being said, someday I'll finish the quests just to get Meleny and that holy sword, if I'll feel like not making druid on character creation. One day...

Jason Liang

Arcane
The best way to cheese the start of the game is to take a solo cleric, get to lvl 3 (from the fedex quests), turn all the undead on the fields and in front of the temple and voila level 6 cleric or something like that

I thought the bog was well done for a fanmade short quest

Max Damage

Savant
Oh the bog is nice, don't get me wrong. But when I'm not optimizing to the max, I often find myself getting loses on the undead guy. Not sure if it's due to weak party or just plain old bad luck.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Oh the bog is nice, don't get me wrong. But when I'm not optimizing to the max, I often find myself getting loses on the undead guy. Not sure if it's due to weak party or just plain old bad luck.
The latter, as a consequence of the former, since low level characters miss more than north korean missile tests.

Jason Liang

Arcane
That's why if you go the bog route you should bring a mage

Although iirc I didn't find that 2nd fight that hard. I had optimized fighters to tank though.

Max Damage

Savant
I'm contemplating a more or less vanilla run. What's the bare minimum I need to get started?
Temple+ and Co8 w/o New Content is just vanilla + bugfixes and some minor quality of life stuff (like alt+click for faster item transefrs and Read Magic cantrip identifying pots/scrolls in bulk). As for you starting party, you'll ideally want at least 1 arcane caster and 1 divine one, 1-2 classes with good/decent BAB for the front line, and that leaves you with 1-2 picks of your preference, whether they'd be weapon users, casters or hybrids like bard/rogue. Do note both Co8 and Temple+ allow you to make more than 5 characters, but the vanilla limit is 1-5 of those you make + 3 NPC companions. I'd say for mostly vanilla run Temple+ alone will suffice. Do remember to turn autosave off and don't use quick saves/loads, those tend to lead to crashes and even save corruptions.

Jigby

Augur
If OP's problem with the game is the way it devolves later into a very easy nobrain game I'd suggest turning on the alternative exp curve that's part of temple+. Coupled with Ironman mentality it makes the gameplay way more interesting at later stages compared to vanilla. Played with it ~2 years ago, level squatted through the whole game up till Balor (squatting on level 5 with the whole party), at the end got around ~50k exp. In vanilla game ~100k+ is expected meaning you've got way less exp for crafting those holy axiomatic swords and gauntlets of +6 strength. Also meaning those encounters with 40 bugbears and bugbear chieftans on level 2 and 4, you will meet those with a level 5 party instead of 8.

Max Damage

Savant
I've read it was, but I still get random crashes sometimes with autosaves. Don't know if coincidence, but this doesn't happen with them turned off. It's been a while since I played ToEE, so maybe I remember it wrong though.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
AFAIK the only documented issue with autosave is that it broke some of the older spawner scripts if you reloaded a game from that.

Also I'm pretty sure I've made polearms increase in size/damage along with the character many moons ago. When was the last time you played ToEE?

Max Damage

Savant
IIRC last time was 2-3 months ago, played with Temple+ and Co8 New Content. Had a dual-wiedling half-orc fighter on which I casted Enlarge, then made her equip short sword into left hand while glaive became 1-handed, had to repeat it each time on size change but it worked. Glaive had 1-handed animation, x1 Str damage bonus, and I could permanently equip shield too if I wanted, just like always.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
IIRC last time was 2-3 months ago, played with Temple+ and Co8 New Content. Had a dual-wiedling half-orc fighter on which I casted Enlarge, then made her equip short sword into left hand while glaive became 1-handed, had to repeat it each time on size change but it worked. Glaive had 1-handed animation, x1 Str damage bonus, and I could permanently equip shield too if I wanted, just like always.
If you don't dual wield or use a shield the game assumes you wanted the item enlarged as well, so it will be enlarged, including the hie die. Per the rules you should be able to choose whether to enlarge the item or not, here it's abstracted to be flexible about it (so it changes the properties based on what you're holding i the other hand). It's not reflected in the animation, however.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So one should install temple+ and ignore Co8 during the first playthrough?
Does t+ allow one to skip Hommlet? If not, can you install only that one component from Co8?

I've never progresses passed level 2 and if I'm going to have to go through that damn hub after an hour of character creation I'm just going to drop the game again.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Hommett is not so bad if you have it memorized reflexively.

Besides, it's about the journey, not the destination. Are you in such a rush to get to the bugbears

war is hell

and hell is room after room of bugbears

Jigby

Augur
So one should install temple+ and ignore Co8 during the first playthrough?
Does t+ allow one to skip Hommlet? If not, can you install only that one component from Co8?

I've never progresses passed level 2 and if I'm going to have to go through that damn hub after an hour of character creation I'm just going to drop the game again.
I usually just do the opening vignette quest, deklo grove spiders and the farmers' feud quest for the holy longsword. Depending on your party's alignment that should put you either close to level 2 or even break over. You can do the getting flour for the church quest if you don't have enough exp for lvl 2. After that it's destination Moathouse. All of these quest are easy and quick, except for the farmer one, but you do get the holy longsword from it.

Max Damage

Savant
Welkwood Bog is from Co8 New Content, so you'd have to install it to do the quest. Honestly, just instal Temple+, hire Elmo (and probably Spugnoir), and you'll pretty much roll through Moathouse without much trouble even if you're new to the game. I never really found Moathouse hard even in my "what the fuck am I doing?" days, there're ways to skip some of the hard encounters inside if you have the need, and most of the enemies are very vulnerable to spells and don't have high combat stats. Sleep/Grease/Entangle/Charm/Summon Nature's Ally are great lvl1 spells for breezing through peasant levels, plus you have Mage Armor, Enlarge Person and Bless for buffs. If you get Improved Trip and Combat Reflexes (and maybe Weapon Focus), your melee hitters will be good out of the box; if you take Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot, your archers won't miss too often (and if they're also Rogues with Improved Initiative, they may also down somebody before anyone starts moving). Wizards start with Scribe Scroll and can make great use of it, but it's also a very good feat for any spellcaster to have, and Rogues and Bards can also cast from spell scrolls scribben by someone else if you put points into Use Magic Device.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom