Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Codex Year of the Donut
I think ESO has different world states depending on decisions made by players, i think a player can see either a ruined city or a normal city filled with generic NPCs or characters dying, it was something like that but i cant remember the specifics.
Nearly everything can be phased to some extent. I was actually quite surprised by it when I played ESO.

ESO has some pretty awesome phasing tech where you see different things depending on your actions. Nothing that significantly changes the prop placement or the architecture or anything like that because you still share the world with players who haven't made the same choices. It definitely feels more reactive than Bethesda's single player games. Doubt they'll have anything like it in F76.
It definitely can significantly change prop placement/architecture. Hell, during one of the Morrowind quests Vivec city is burning to the ground. You can get locked out of one of the Nord cities if you do a specific questline, because the town is completely destroyed.

WoW has that same phasing tech. It's nothing novel.
WoW's phasing is nowhere near the same level. ESO often feels like you're playing a singleplayer game.

ZeniBot

Cipher
Boothbabes are demeaning to the customer, reason. Its using sexuality as a means to market and exploit. Its not the girl being exploited, its the male attendant being exploited through baiting.
The girl just has to stand around looking good and shilling. How is that any different from being a model or a spokesperson? IT ISN'T.
The part that makes it tacky is the intent which is entirely to bait people into being interested in a product because this QT might be attracted to you (guess what she's not).
Most of the boothbabes I've encountered just seem bored because no ones biting and wonder what the fuck is the point in them being there with a bunch of losers. This is why its shit marketing.

It only works on suits because they think if they spend enough time around they might have a shot at banging them. (They never do though otherwise we'd be inundated with MeToo accusations like the film industry).
I would say Community manager is more demeaning because its a long term thing and they likely aren't paid very well- whereas a boothbabe is.

Norfleet

What is more "demeaning"? To be a booth babe or a community manager?
Community Manager. Ask yourself, if a riot breaks out, who's going to get lynched first? And do you think they're getting paid enough to deal with this shit?

PapaPetro

I completely memory holed this dumpster fire. Is there still an active community for this?

ADL

Prophet
I completely memory holed this dumpster fire. Is there still an active community for this?
It's certainly not dead. I can only speak for PC but I've never seen the same username twice (for better or worse in this kind of game) and I've put a couple hundred hours into this.

ADL

Prophet
I'll never understand how or why people go to bat for Bethesda when I say 76 is the best thing they've put out since Morrowind. Does anyone really want to defend Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim or Fallout 4? At least when I bought 76 I knew what it was and wasn't disappointed with it. It's a competent online co-op loot shooter set in the Fallout universe.

Also it's fun and gets updated regularly enough that I revisit it on a monthly basis, deal with it nerds.

Squid

Arbiter
The issue is:
Most users on here aren't going to like a game like this and the Fallout name is on it.

If it wasn't for the combination of these two things, we'd have a lot less discussion about it, that's for sure. Bethesda has made it clear that they don't give a fuck about it being a RPG or anything like the original Fallout. They have redesigned this series, they have rebranded it, and they have turned their 3rd major work of it into a shittier version of Borderlands meets Minecraft.

Can it be fun? Sure, a lot of games can be fun especially with the whole friends aspect. Friends can make a shitty factory job fun. It's just that sour taste that you get when the large inspiration of the game is from something loved in the world of cRPGs. I swear to you we'd be on page 5 and telling whoever brought up this game to shut the fuck up about it if the game wasn't Fallout skinned.

Codex Year of the Donut
The issue is:
Most users on here aren't going to like a game like this and the Fallout name is on it.

If it wasn't for the combination of these two things, we'd have a lot less discussion about it, that's for sure. Bethesda has made it clear that they don't give a fuck about it being a RPG or anything like the original Fallout. They have redesigned this series, they have rebranded it, and they have turned their 3rd major work of it into a shittier version of Borderlands meets Minecraft.
507262-fallout-brotherhood-of-steel-xbox-full-cover.jpg

Squid

Arbiter
Yeah, how much do you think people would bring that game up if it wasn't Fallout flavored sparkling water?

They aren't even in the same veins that the first Fallouts are. It's a shame how fucked this IP gets by any of its owners.
Fallout has had eight games and a mobile one. I haven't played Tactics and it might be fine but otherwise, the series has three good entries. Everything else is fuckery of the ideas that should be discarded into a biohazard container, have acid poured over it, then bury it in Antarctica and hope that no sentient life form can ever find a trace of it again.

dextermorgan

Arcane
I'll never understand how or why people go to bat for Bethesda when I say 76 is the best thing they've put out since Morrowind. Does anyone really want to defend Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim or Fallout 4? At least when I bought 76 I knew what it was and wasn't disappointed with it. It's a competent online co-op loot shooter set in the Fallout universe.

Also it's fun and gets updated regularly enough that I revisit it on a monthly basis, deal with it nerds.
I'm fine with your post, just cut the bit I highlighted for you and don't repeat it and you're good to go. Maybe add "loosely" before "set in Fallout..."

Tehdagah

Arcane
Boothbabes are demeaning to the customer, reason. Its using sexuality as a means to market and exploit. Its not the girl being exploited, its the male attendant being exploited through baiting.
The girl just has to stand around looking good and shilling. How is that any different from being a model or a spokesperson? IT ISN'T.
The part that makes it tacky is the intent which is entirely to bait people into being interested in a product because this QT might be attracted to you (guess what she's not).
Most of the boothbabes I've encountered just seem bored because no ones biting and wonder what the fuck is the point in them being there with a bunch of losers. This is why its shit marketing.

It only works on suits because they think if they spend enough time around they might have a shot at banging them. (They never do though otherwise we'd be inundated with MeToo accusations like the film industry).
I would say Community manager is more demeaning because its a long term thing and they likely aren't paid very well- whereas a boothbabe is.
Gay

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So I played this game a bit with my brother during the free week back in June. An ongoing sale brought the game's price down from the original $60(!) to $30, but I did not buy it nor do I have any plans to do so, joking to my brother that I wouldn't give $3 for this game.

Nevertheless, we did play it for about 10-20 hours over several days.

QM99LSR.jpg

I tried to make my character as ugly as possible, but the result was still disappointingly human. Bethesda's face generator has come a long way since Oblivion.

So you create your character, exit the Vault, and then you... do what exactly? As has been so negatively met that even game journos complained about it, the game has no real story, only giving you notes and audio logs that you'll ignore as this is a multiplayer game and your party members are waiting. If you do decide to read them, it's just terribly boring tidbits about pre- or post-War life that has no bearing on actual gameplay. Michael Kirkbride the writers aint.

Since the game has no story, it's surely about the survival, exploration and combat gameplay then? You do need to eat and drink, the world is huge and diverse, and the Fallout 4 gunplay is entirely passable. But there's no real drive for any of it. Once you've cleared a camping resort of not-zombies, vacuum looted all containers and satisfied your thirst and hunger with some canned food and boiled water, you've already experienced the gameplay loop that the rest of the game will consist of.
You can nuke areas which will transform them into high-level zones with bullet-sponge enemies that drop even more stuff for you to hoard. You can build camps for absolutely no reason at all. You can kill other players, and upon death they drop their junk items - yes, junk items - so that you can use them to craft even more pointless stuff.

The only thing the game has going for it is exploration and architecture. Landmarks such as water towers and cooling towers have been expertly placed on the horizon, tempting the player to come explore them. There are beautiful cafes, water parks, golf courses, resorts and small towns for the player to find. However, when walking across a monorail outside the Vault-Tec University I couldn't help but to ask: Why is this not a singleplayer title? All these empty locations feel wasted on a multiplayer game that doesn't even do something interesting. In a multiplayer Fallout title, I'd expect to be able to join a group of, say, Caesar's Legion players and have a 30-player rumble against the Brotherhood of Steel or the Minutemen. Anything more exciting than aimlessly drifting around turning over cupboards for loot and shooting zombies in the head until you get bored and quit.

9aVdrHI.jpg

The game is notoriously buggy, but apart from the occasional floating ethereal enemy corpse (seen above) we didn't encounter anything screenshot-worthy. We felt the bugs though. Both of us had a bug that crashed the game whenever we fast-travelled to each other when we were part of the same group. And we both had these 1-second freezes (sometimes up to 4 seconds) that re-occured several times an hour. Doesn't mean much in a slow, PvE game like FO76, but still horrendous performance. And we also had occasional disconnects that threw a wrench in things - in my brother's case this froze the game indefinitely.

Like I said, I wouldn't buy this for $3. Thanks for the free trial, but getting these freezes in a game that has had half a year of patches? No sir, I would not pay money for that.

The last thing we did was to try out the recently added, run-of-the-mill Battle Royale mode. I killed a player, then another player killed me. Then the game crashed. Then I uninstalled.

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
I'm currently replaying the game for the first time after having to review it last year, in order to level to 50 and do a "state of the game" article when their next big update (the one that introduces NPCs) launches in the near future. The bugs still reign supreme, graphical glitches have indeed been reduced compared to last year's launch, and the scenery even looks pretty from time to time. But I still can't wrap my head around how utterly retarded their retconning of BoS lore is.

Further down the "main questline", you visit an army camp that was supposedly the first BoS HQ in Appalachia. You access their leader's terminal (a strong wymyn named Taggerdy, because why not) and discover that Roger Maxson sent an urgent satellite message to her personally, ordering her unit to adopt the new Paladin-Knight-Squire rank system and "hoard pre-war tech" and "protect the innocents". OF COURSE, her being a strong wymyn, she objects to this, and you find scattered journal entries around the base in which the unit's personnel express their opinions on how "Paladins and Knights and Squires sound dumb, lol" and "this isn't what I joined the army for".

But before she can express her doubts to Roger Maxson, as well as tell him that they should prioritize the Scorched threat above everything else ("big bad mutants, we can handle - the Scorched are a real threat to the world" as is stated in one of her logs - she essentially foresaw the Super Mutant threat 60 years before it happened during the events of the original Fallout) the satellite broke down and now they are totally on their own to combat the Scorched threat.

I feel that simply writing the above lowered my IQ by a couple of points.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I feel that simply writing the above lowered my IQ by a couple of points.

I mean pretty much every single thing Bethesda has done with Fallout lore is on the creative writing level of ramming a pencil up your nose and then repeatedly smashing your face into a table.

The only good thing is they set the bar so low with Fallout 3 its hard to be surprised or even care anymore.

ZeniBot

Cipher
Like I said, I wouldn't buy this for $3. Thanks for the free trial, but getting these freezes in a game that has had half a year of patches? No sir, I would not pay money for that.

People paid $60+ for this. + mtx if they're truly stupid. +Collectors Edition if they are ubermegastupid.
At least we all got to laugh at their stupidity then come to the sad realisation that none of these people will ever learn their lesson and keep Todd's con job going indefinitely until one day they've consumed every studio that isn't bolted down by Tencent.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Modron

Arcane
They shouldn't have recalled the helmet, it could have cleaned up a little the gene pool.
People who are paying 150 dollars for a plastic toy helmet probably aren't going to be a part of the gene pool lest they got it as a child from their parents and have since grown out of their awkward autistic tween years.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They shouldn't have recalled the helmet, it could have cleaned up a little the gene pool.
People who are paying 150 dollars for a plastic toy helmet probably aren't going to be a part of the gene pool lest they got it as a child from their parents and have since grown out of their awkward autistic tween years.

True. I realized that too, but I was too lazy to go back and edit what I wrote.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom