Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Outer Worlds August Bonanza - Gameplay Footage, Previews and Interviews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Carrie Patel; Charles Staples; Matthew Singh; Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds

Last month we became aware that several Obsidian developers had embarked on an extensive press tour to promote The Outer Worlds. The results of that tour made themselves known today in a spectacular fashion, in what must be the largest press blast I've ever seen for any Obsidian title since I began posting front page news. That includes previews, interviews and multiple hours of new gameplay footage. The demo most of the previewers got to play was set on the planet of Monarch (which we also saw at E3 back in June) and a few hours after the videos were published Obsidian uploaded their own official version. Meanwhile, the PlayStation folks got an exclusive look at one of the game's first areas, the town of Edgewater on Terra 2. So I'll post one of each:

And here's a list of today's many previews and interviews:

Yeah, it's crazy. I haven't had time to read or watch much of this yet, but one thing worth noting is that there are no new companions revealed here. On the other hand, I believe this is the first time we've gotten to see more than a quick glimpse of Parvati, so that's something.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There seem to be a lot of good things, and a lot of bad things in this. I have a feeling that this is aimed at the 100 IQ mark. This is not high art or anything meant to stay in people's memories.

This is a product meant to sell to the 100 IQ demographic.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
There seem to be a lot of good things, and a lot of bad things in this. I have a feeling that this is aimed at the 100 IQ mark. This is not high art or anything meant to stay in people's memories.

This is a product meant to sell to the 100 IQ demographic.
100 IQ? Fabulously Optimistic.

Yeah, 100 IQ is pretty good. Most Codexers are way below that(they don't notice cause their autism makes them think they are smarter than they are).

2 minutes into the video, 3 lesbians, zero other characters so far. incline.

edit:

seems to be some male chauvinist prick you are supposed to knock off in the 1st quest named cleve or something. more incline.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I will keep away from the hype campaign and spoilers & other shits and judge the game "blind" with no preconcieved notions about it.
Because I love Boyarsky, I owe him that .

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Each and every character in this game looks aggressively annoying. All of them with their californian-hipster sarcastic looks. I didn't even dare listen to the voices, just looking at those faces and Pixar-esque expressions makes me rage. It's like they tried their hardest to make all of them as unappealing as possible. I could never play this garbage.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Why does every futuristic FPS (post-apoc or otherwise) has cartoon aesthetics nowadays?

Becaue talentless fucks can't pull it otherwise?
And this is an easy solutions for them, because audience will easlily eat that shit, just look at Fortnight or what's-it's-name.
Zoomer, boomer - finger out!

3 lesbians

Can you skin them alive? :cool:

tindrli

Arcane

now it looks to me like a combination of bioshock and reskinned Fallout.and when the first video got out i thought borderlands but noooo.. its even worse,
and why the fuck hes caring a pistol so high. ffs i cant stop imagine it in a 3rd person perspective walking in that town with a gun pointing. its disgusting. they could made a holster weapon but noooooo

Duraframe300

Arcane

now it looks to me like a combination of bioshock and reskinned Fallout.and when the first video got out i thought borderlands but noooo.. its even worse,
and why the fuck hes caring a pistol so high. ffs i cant stop imagine it in a 3rd person perspective walking in that town with a gun pointing. its disgusting. they could made a holster weapon but noooooo

You can holster the weapon.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
A minute into the first video and Brian Hines has already telegraphed two plot spoilers. Is Technical Asshole one of the job titles he holds at Obsidian?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So...
Woman in Power (doesn't matter criminal or not)
Player is asked to help to kill or otherwise harm someone named Clive (Not Tirone or Akhmed)
"Thiz woman know what she want and I like her" kind of appreciation of stronk womyn who always know what they want.
Character's choice is engineering and SCIENCE - thus he can tinker with weapon (I though science was about people like Pavlov, Mendeleev, Einstain, etc, but here it's the guy who strapped bayonet to the barrel it seems)
Embracing mental disabilities, showing them in positive light, embracing imbecility in general
Guard chief is a WOMAN
White man looks disgustingly, like vampire

I could say that all I have seen so far makes me think, that game is aimed at generation that plays Fort-thing and a bit older maybe.
I guess this will sells good in California, and no doubts soy milk drinkers from around the world will support this, just as desperate RPG players, who are junkies in nature.
However, I'll not touch this with mile-long stick.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why does every futuristic FPS (post-apoc or otherwise) has cartoon aesthetics nowadays? Or am I just getting very, very old and without sense of humour?

Boyarsky has always had a cartoony art style. I find it far preferable to bland attempts at photorealism (see Bloodlines vs Bloodlines 2).

JDR13

Arcane
The UI and HUD are very consolish, and the voice acting is atrocious. At least I'll go in with low expectations after seeing this footage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom