Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think it's pretty impressive how they took the concept of 19th century American industrialists IN SPACE and instead of doing anything with that they just made Borderlands.
Why is it that all we have seen about this game is the player wandering these desolate sci-fi wastelands doing errands for dickheads?
Because sadly 10 million dimwit gamers with low standards buy that sort of thing :negative: To be fair it reminds me more of Fallout NV than it does Borderlands, but still. It annoys me how they pretend to be an RPG when it just isn't necessary to even do that. Running around with an AI that shoots everything for you with his lazer minigun is not an RPG. So if they admit that they are making an action game, maybe then we could get some decent action. Grenades, lazer trip bombs, timed explosives, grappling hooks or jetpack, fun gameplay-ish things that would make action actually actiony.

Instead we get half baked action with a few barely-RPG aspects. Should be called Bioshock New Vegas.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For whatever reason the PlayStation footage of the very early game looks much, much, much, much better than the Monarch stuff. First time I can remember something looking better on console. Maybe Edgewater is actually finished and Monarch less so.

Modron

Arcane
For whatever reason the PlayStation footage of the very early game looks much, much, much, much better than the Monarch stuff. First time I can remember something looking better on console. Maybe Edgewater is actually finished and Monarch less so.
Or maybe they have done some twitcha 3 style optimization passes since.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
that it'll be very hard to make handsome/beautiful characters.
We kind of already see this.

I think it's pretty impressive how they took the concept of 19th century American industrialists IN SPACE and instead of doing anything with that they just made Borderlands.
Why is it that all we have seen about this game is the player wandering these desolate sci-fi wastelands doing errands for dickheads?

Instead we get half baked action with a few barely-RPG aspects. Should be called Bioshock New Vegas.
You see, this is the biggest let down of them all. Throughout its whole lifetime, Obsidian has always had an excuse. It was always the publishers, the IP owners, the contracts, the budgets, the deadlines, the engine/technology, the grognards, the newfags, the conservative players, the Kickstarter promises... forgive me if I've missed something though I probably have.

It's like watching a pubescent dork make passes at some chick who's almost willing to give him head just to get him off her back, but he fumbles something and misses the opportunity, and then goes to his dork friends and says "Oh man, if this ever happens again, I'm nailing her like 100%!" That's pretty much what Obsidian has been. 16 years and they are always "this close" to making a hit, right? Well I wish I had your optimism by now.

The root of my irritation - in 2010 we bought the excuses - they were using other people's technology, they were on a tight deadline, and still they did wonders. We were and at least I still am ready to excuse New Vegas' shortcomings. Fast Forward to 2019, what do we have:
- Bigger budget - smaller game. Ok, it's well early to judge, though we know it's smaller than New Vegas.
- Better tech, no more the shitty Gamebryo - graphics glitches and quality so bad, you wonder how they managed to screw up so badly with a licensed Unreal 4. No weapon swerve, no recoil, no feeling of weapon weight. People have made better Fallout mods than what they are about to ship. But oh, they have an excuse for that too - we're an RPG not that focused on shooting. 'K.
- Pretty much an unique source of inspiration compared to other games - latter 19th century USA - Tim and Leonard in lead roles... frankly the only hope of this game being anything more than a weak ass Fallout 4 clone is the quests and writing, and what atmosphere Leonard and Tim can breathe into this world. I was going to say also the characters, but let's not bullshit ourselves, the companions will all be a waste of your time.

I strongly hope this game manages to offer interesting quests and story, because god help me, it looks and plays like a pretty unremarkable Fallout mod in all other aspects. Bottom line, I expected a lot more.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No weapon swerve, no recoil, no feeling of weapon weight.
Huh. It's a small point but

g2TKgVp.jpg
so there is weapon sway.

And that bullet point list says the weapons feel good, I guess I trust you more than them come to think of it, I haven't watched any real gameplay yet.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Duraframe300

Arcane
No weapon swerve, no recoil, no feeling of weapon weight.
Huh. It's a small point but

so there is weapon sway.

And that bullet point list says the weapons feel good, I guess I trust you more than them come to think of it, I haven't watched any real gameplay yet.

Gun feel (and sounds specifically) has actually been praised by multiple people. There seems to be recoil, but honestly how that feels in the end we will find out ourselves.

Of course, that may be/is in comparison to Fallout games so that benchmark isn't particulary high.

Another thing that got praised was location damage in tactical time dilation. It's apparently very fleshed out and well executed, though the nature of the timed presentation made it hard to test how much of an impact it actually has.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Gun feel (and sounds specifically) has actually been praised by multiple people.
Oh yeah, by multiple paid shills who were given hands-on time and are desperately looking for something that stands out at least a little bit so they can make their quota for mandatory praise.... it's enough to hear them blabber about "the art style...", "oh you no lockpicking minigame" (cue in 5 minutes tirade), "Oh the color pallete"

I have eyes, you know. I see more while watching these dimwits play than they saw while playing.

Here is an example of good weapon handling... in modded New Vegas:
(BTW, these four mods are all compatible and can be installed together)
Real Recoil

B42 Weapon Intertia - when you move your view around, your weapon slightly swerves by inertia, I think Arma has a similar effect.

Animated Ammo & Weapon Condition checking - download here.

More Realistic Aiming - Your gun moves slightly while you are aiming down sights. How much it will move is configurable through MCM.

What, they didn't have "budget" to add such effects?

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I like how the effect of your aimed shot pops up when you use the scope: https://youtu.be/nBU0uYRepk0?t=470
Reminds me of Far Cry 2, going to little villages, shooting 2 out of the 3 guards with a sniper rifle, then pew pew pew the 3rd guy.

I don't get why they try to entice RPG nerds, while at the same time it is obvious it is just a shooter with a few dialogue trees. Makes no sense. Either chase the mighty dollar and make a more interesting take on Far Cry 6, or chase the niche RPG audience and make a big budget first person JA2 and become the most beloved company in gaming.

Trying to do both things is like trying to breed a wolf with a rabbit. The result is a monstrosity, too deformed to hunt, too retarded to eat carrots.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm 20 mins into the Game Informer stream. This appears to be one of those games where stealth is used on "if you are feeling like it, but you can always massacre everybody" basis. Before someone with nonexistent standards for games asks me with genuine astonishment what did I expect - difficulty to the combat that makes stealth necessary.

In a game where every build is a combat build such as The Outer Worlds, stealth is for people/characters who don't want to kill things.

Edit: I checked out Zombra's skill screengrabs and it appears as though one can hypothetically make a non-combat build character. I doubt you'll be able to get very far in combat if you never put points into those skills once you're out of the tutorial area.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Once again I'm reminded why I checked out of following this thread. It's just pages upon pages of usual edgy retards ranting about irrelevant bullshit.

Meanwhile I'm reminded of IHaveDumbNick valiantly defending inXile against the "usual edgy retards ranting about irrelevant bullshit" and then going apeshit over the whiteness of the people in Numanuma's portraits.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If this game is a borderlands like shooter then so does F:NV, and VTM:B is an action game.
I'm not saying it is identical to Borderlands, I am saying if mostly all you do is run around shooting stuff with your AI buddy, then you may as well play one that is already out and already does a good job of running around shooting shit. Also F:NV, and VTM:B are as much action games as they are RPGs, if not more so.

sullynathan

Arcane
No weapon swerve, no recoil, no feeling of weapon weight. People have made better Fallout mods than what they are about to ship. But oh, they have an excuse for that too - we're an RPG not that focused on shooting. 'K.
the first few points isn't all that necessary to make a fun shooter.

New Vegas shooting is worse than shooters that don't have those.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AwesomeButton pretty sure it has a smaller budget than New Vegas.
Doubtful. The teams have a similar size, and FNV was made in 18 months, while this game has been in development since early 2016. The difference in scope is due to the fact FNV had a massive head start in every way.

Ok, but that massive head start can be quantified in terms of dollars spent by the publisher.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom