Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What, they didn't have "budget" to add such effects?
That is also a poor excuse because they made that game and do have the code/tech and could just copy and polish it up to fit the game.
They could have hired the modders, they could have bought the mods' source code and rewritten it for the Unreal engine. They could have designed it themselves.

I get the feeling that no one really cares any more, and the only times we've gotten good things in RPGs, it has been by mistake or oversight of a designer who would have loved to do something popamole instead. Everyone in California game development just wants to be done with the day and retire to Starbucks where he can have a soy latte and phub through anti-Trump tweets.

Hearing that Leonard wanted Fallout to be first person makes me think we may have gotten the whole RPG genre by accident, and everyone generally wants to just make popamole.

Once again I'm reminded why I checked out of following this thread. It's just pages upon pages of usual edgy retards ranting about irrelevant bullshit.
If you need special help reaching the safe space, ask one of our assistants. The PTSD recovery theraphy group gathers at 11:00. Remember, running away from an argument when you have nothing to say is not the end - there are always the racial card, the sex card, the harrasment card, the incel card, or simply calling the other side edgy and retarded.

People arguing about graphics are faggots
Nothing wrong with arguing about graphics,it is faggotness if you don't play the game because of graphics.
What he meant is that people cricizing the graphics are faggots. It's ok to repeat the journo drivel and pretend you don't see the glitches.

No weapon swerve, no recoil, no feeling of weapon weight. People have made better Fallout mods than what they are about to ship. But oh, they have an excuse for that too - we're an RPG not that focused on shooting. 'K.
the first few points isn't all that necessary to make a fun shooter.

New Vegas shooting is worse than shooters that don't have those.
I think it's a combination of good weapon handling and maps/areas that offer tactical options. Nothing in the footage I've seen so far points to anyone having given any thought about tactical options when designing the locations, or to anyone having given any thought whatsoever about player movement and gun handling. The player strafes around and fires away with no recoil, no need for cover, no need for weapon reloading, pure popamole (tm) experience.

All I am asking is - why settle for a Fallout clone? Is this the best you could do with this budget and this development time? Is this the limit of your imagination of your deisgner abilities - "make it like Fallout"? Also, since when is the Codex defending the virtues of uninspired Fallout clones? Has Fallout 4 become a good RPG/shooter while I haven't been watching?

Backpedaling and shooting mudrcrabs mantices is the cutting edge of first-person shooter gameplay? Give me a break. Also, the first shooter with locational damage that I remember was Quake 2, excuse me if I'm not swooning from admiration.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Go play ArmA ffs, you'll love the sway and recoil but especially the sway, you'll climax by the time you can hit where you want, if ever you can pull it off before master marksman AI puts you down with his first shot.

Criticize the game with something substantial instead of re-defining the industry by the littlest of details for an action RPG; "omg the recoil, omg square puddle... this game is shit!". What good recoil mod did for FNV? It has fundamentally bad gunplay with or without it. TOW's gunplay looks alright; best we could have hoped for from Obsidian, maybe even better than expectations.

ed: have just read this:
twinfinity preview said:
Combat is easily where The Outer Worlds surprised me the most, and I went in expecting a somewhat clunky shooter-RPG. However, what I played seemed like a truly fast-paced shooter with a ton of different options.

Don’t get me wrong, Outer Worlds doesn’t feel as smooth as something like Call of Duty, but it definitely feels leaps and bounds above something like Fallout 4.

Shooting feels tight and responsive, and it’s incredibly easy to switch between weapons using the Y button on the Xbox controller. Just a quick tap switches between weapons, while holding it down will open the weapon wheel.

Each weapon has great sound design, with serious weight behind each shot you fire. It reminded me of the deep weapon sounds of war games, rather than something super sci-fi.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Go play ArmA ffs, you'll love the sway and recoil but especially the sway, you'll climax by the time you can hit where you want, if ever you can pull it off before master marksman AI puts you down with his first shot.
I only went into this amount of detail because of stubborn fanboys trying to make it out like gunplay is not all that important. Weapon handling animations do more to convey a feeling of realism and atmosphere than a player usually notices while playing. It's also attention to detail on the devs' part. But I hear you fanboys - graphics are bad - "they aren't important", gunplay sucks - "it's not important".

I'm 20 mins into the Game Informer stream. This appears to be one of those games where stealth is used on "if you are feeling like it, but you can always massacre everybody" basis. Before someone with nonexistent standards for games asks me with genuine astonishment what did I expect - difficulty to the combat that makes stealth necessary.

In a game where every build is a combat build such as The Outer Worlds, stealth is for people/characters who don't want to kill things.

Edit: I checked out Zombra's skill screengrabs and it appears as though one can hypothetically make a non-combat build character. I doubt you'll be able to get very far in combat if you never put points into those skills once you're out of the tutorial area.
I bet you right now that most of the perks will end up being totally useless. Like in Deadfire - "you can kill this mob with these flashy purple spells in 6 minutes, or with the red ability for 7 minutes, or combine both approaches and kill the mob in 4 minutes, or, if that's too hard for you, just autoattack them for 10 minutes". I'm only exaggerating a little.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
How can wanting more than just another Fallout clone trigger people? Get some standards you degenerates! Criticizing the game for being sickeningly derivative is legitimate criticism. Gimmicks like shooting a guy in the leg doesn't help at all. Forgetting about the fact that some games were doing that 25 years ago, even Fallout 3 let you do it too. I just don't see the point of making yet another game like this. I like FPS and action games, but gimme Stalker AI that hunts me down and ambushes me, so the gameplay amounts to more than me just pew pewing people for 50 hours of glorified fedex quests. Either that or give me a genuine RPG shooter, like Jagged Alliance, or even Deus Ex, System Shock, something tuned and tense and with meaningful stats n shit. This half breed type of game is stupid. Why care about stats and gear when you can just 1 shot an enemy camp from a mile away with ez-mode slow mo sniper rifle, and then run in with your gattling gun to finish off a confused AI.

Boring weaksauce. Demand more!

Quillon

Arcane
I just don't see the point of making yet another game like this.

Plenty of people do apparently. Criticizing the game for what it is not is pointless atm. They set out to make exactly this game, they even went out of their way to set expectations; f.i. they specifically told not to expect gunplay as good as a game that gunplay is its first priority.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Those plenty of people are enablers! I'm fine with them making what they set out to make, I just think they should have set out to make something more interesting. I mean if it is a new New Vegas but a talented and well made version of it, then I can dig it and will play it sometime. But I'm way more excited for the new Stalker and KOTC 2, and it is sad an industry vet like Obsidian can't excite me more than a game made by 1 guy.

Quillon

Arcane
The interesting part of it is supposed to be the universe/IP they created from scratch. They made this game with smaller scope by necessity so they prolly didn't have the luxury to try out many new gameplay ideas/systems. Who knows, maybe they'll expand on their gameplay formula with the MS backed sequel, or they'll make more of the same seeing that its well received(probably) :P

jf8350143

Liturgist
You people speak like games like F:NV came out every once a year. When in reality no one even try to make a game like F:NV in the last decade. So another game just like F:NV (even with little innovation) is already pure incline.

AwesomeButton

Patron
The interesting part of it is supposed to be the universe/IP they created from scratch
Let's see, thought for me this is a settlement for a little, less than half a good game.

PoE had an interesting world, at leas for me. The combat and writing ruined it though. We should want good and complete games not "a good pitch that could have turned into a good a complete game".

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
wanting more than another Fallout clone

Point me to all those Fallout clones. I'll wait.

If you need special help reaching the safe space, ask one of our assistants. The PTSD recovery theraphy group gathers at 11:00. Remember, running away from an argument when you have nothing to say is not the end - there are always the racial card, the sex card, the harrasment card, the incel card, or simply calling the other side edgy and retarded.

If you wanted to demonstrate that you're not being edgy and retarded, that's probably not the way to go about it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

There are a few Borderlands games, Fallout 3, NV, Fallout 4, the online abomination, Rage, Rage 2, Far Cry 123456. And lots of other kinda sorta similar stuff, like Dead Island, Metro, Stalkers, and the entire Elder Scrolls series which is Fallout 3 with spellz. And if you accept Elder Scrolls as being similar, then there are another 20 games like that too.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

There are a few Borderlands games, Fallout 3, NV, Fallout 4, the online abomination, Rage, Rage 2, Far Cry 123456. And lots of other kinda sorta similar stuff, like Dead Island, Metro, Stalkers, and the entire Elder Scrolls series which is Fallout 3 with spellz. And if you accept Elder Scrolls as being similar, then there are another 20 games like that too.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
"Whining about irrelevant bullshit", the usual go-to for retarded apologists. Literally everything is "irrelevant bullshit" and nothing that is talked about or criticized is ever important.
It makes one wonder if anything at all matters for a game besides the precious feelings of the retarded apologist.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It would all be understandable on any other forum, but the codex?! In the RPG section no less :negative:I swear the future of RPGs is Crysis 1.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
If you wanted to demonstrate that you're not being edgy and retarded, that's probably not the way to go about it.
Yes, you got me. I write in this thread with the purpose of demonstrating things to other people.

Correct. Like all the edgy retards you long for attention, that's why you always furiously spam the threads of the most hyped game and fantasize that everybody is in awe with your nuanced RPG expertise.

jf8350143

Liturgist
It would all be understandable on any other forum, but the codex?! In the RPG section no less :negative:I swear the future of RPGs is Crysis 1.
Says the one who thinks a shooting game counts as Fallout clone.

You know the Bethesda Fallout games starts at Fallout 3 for a reason right?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
"Whining about irrelevant bullshit", the usual go-to for retarded apologists. Literally everything is "irrelevant bullshit" and nothing that is talked about or criticized is ever important.

Important issues:

- shape of poodle of water was wrong
- hair are too short
- recoil needs to be bigger (on a laser gun that doesn't shoot projectiles)
- stealth is optional and not required to beat the combat (so it's like in every RPG ever)
- there have been similar Fallout clones lately, like Call of Duty and Doom.

I don't know how Outer Worlds will ever recover from this vicious criticism. All Codexers should be grateful that you RPG experts take time and effort to analyze the footage and point out all these fatal flaws.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom