Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Pegultagol

Erudite
Overall impression is it aims to be a good RPG. The lack of funds and where they scaled back certainly show but at least the working system of role-playing hangs around your legs like a faithful dog. Go with one side, or with the opposing one, or somehow reach compromise, I guess I can live with that with enough variety and spice (optional quests) for approx 20 hours this game will take out of my miserable life.

Graphics seem to have taken on a major sheen, especially the talking heads. Its those eye reflections I tell you. Heaps of jank in character expression and body language during the same scenes, but meh, it's ok. The graphics serve the game competently but more often seem to be smear of drab colors and decorations with not much to convey much atmosphere let alone (hi)story. Is there enough material unique and compelling to Outer Worlds lore not only build and flesh out this world, much less to expound upon it in the series going forward? I thought the archetypes would be coming in fast and furious given the setting, pushing caricatures and having some fun at our expense, but they seem almost pedestrian, no one stands out? Maybe in Byzantium?

The action, the shooting, wow, most videos focused on those. Obsidian correctly guessed direct, unmitigated, and unprovoked combat in first person RPGs will be exposed first and foremost, and whoo boy did the journos go for it hook, line, and sinker and relish the meaty combat and all its entrails. Positive and glowing reports soon followed like that one in Canaan and Obisidanites rejoiced and chanted 'Boyarsky' and 'Cain' for a day. The enemies now duck & cover, attempt to run away, do little feints, and some leap into the air. I also, would like to leap and traverse the air, damn the financial constraints. The expired crumple like ragdolls they are as if to avoid injury upon the impact of fall, what a anti-climactic throes of death after a laser show to put Vini Vici to shame. But, it is better than what's been shown in the past, so it's something. Electrical weapons damage automatons the most, status affects are in, including burning and poisoning, perhaps more? Harder difficulty levels might reveal how these all coalesce with the flaws system to deliver certain advantages and preferences to inquiring players, to build that uniquely flawed being. That is all I ask for and hope it remains fun.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Important issues:
- The combat doesn't have any discernible features, compared to #Bethesdagames. Does not bring anything new.
- The graphics quality is not *horrible*, but looks surprisingly low-effort given the licensed Unreal 4 engine.
- The companions are shaping up to be a whiny bunch of self-inserts for writers lacking experience, style and general knowledge. This should not surprise anyone at this point, but it still deserves mentioning.

Molina

Savant
What bothers me is that devs no longer have any original ideas in RPGs. From what we saw, it will be an FPS with slowmotion, a dialogue tree and two- three paths to reach the end of the quest. Actually, it'll be KOTOR but in subjective view. It's nice, I'm not saying otherwise, but there's nothing to be excited about. I didn't think they had a great idea, and worse than that... at no time I start fantasizing about different characters I could play.

Quillon

Arcane
New screenshots:

Guess Monarch's too brown and only looks good when its the dead of night with that strange mist's about as opposed to other locations which have more nuanced palette, they look good in different times of day as well...for my taste, from what is shown so far.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
What bothers me is that devs no longer have any original ideas in RPGs. From what we saw, it will be an FPS with slowmotion, a dialogue tree and two- three paths to reach the end of the quest. Actually, it'll be KOTOR but in subjective view. It's nice, I'm not saying otherwise, but there's nothing to be excited about. I didn't think they had a great idea, and worse than that... at no time I start fantasizing about different characters I could play.

It's almost like devs admitting that the RPG genre has become a pointless time waster. So what do devs do then? Trimming fat on all wrong ends. Like Bethesda, which kills the systems but then doubles down on the boring open world.

Alpha Protocol was a bit refreshing in that ascpect as it departed from this trend, but then botched the execution. I still hope we're gonna see a return to smaller, hand-crafted levels but with deeper systems and better C&C.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I tried to watch one of these previews but it was so boring. I cannot get interested anymore by these quasi rpgs with action combat.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So the game's user interface continues to change. Once there was a "Companions" tab to access the companion management interface. That's been replaced by a tab for each one of the companions currently in your party.

MProW5h.jpg

Factions from the Reputation section:

d8tR1Es.jpg

JhSjyXm.jpg

wzusK4G.jpg

Y3ICKDI.jpg

x0J7jK4.jpg

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Asymmetric character system - companions have a different, smaller set of available perks:

WNM9fxz.jpg
OgIIin6.jpg

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did anyone expect good shooting? The curse of the action RPG is that you can either make a good action game or a good RPG, but never both.

As far as I know, nobody’s ever done it. Maybe it’s theoretically possible. Sure, New Vegas can play like a second rate shooter (or third rate) after nearly a decade of modding, but think about how many thousands of volunteer man-hours that took. No studio’s going to pay for that kind of work in a new engine.

Maybe someday the curse will be broken, though that would be an extremely ambitious task.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Did anyone expect good shooting? The curse of the action RPG is that you can either make a good action game or a good RPG, but never both.

As far as I know, nobody’s ever done it. Maybe it’s theoretically possible. Sure, New Vegas can play like a second rate shooter (or third rate) after nearly a decade of modding, but think about how many thousands of volunteer man-hours that took. No studio’s going to pay for that kind of work in a new engine.

Maybe someday the curse will be broken, though that would be an extremely ambitious task.

Forget the action RPG, look at the top 20 entries to Codex top 70 and try counting entries with legitimately good combat. One hand should be enough to count them all, even if you had a few accidents with a chainsaw.

Codex Year of the Donut

Let me tell you about Cat Quest.

The Real Fanboy

Outer Worlds 2 with all the xbox studios sharing their tech would definitely be so good! But I don't really get the issues with the combat rn, it lewks fun especially with the cute companion abilities stuff!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom