Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird habits carried over games

Maxie

Have you during your RPG gaming tenure acquired some sort of weird ass habits you can't seem to be able to shake off, despite of how nonsensical they may appear?

For instance, I tend to reorganise grid inventories given the possibility, even if the items take up one (1) slot each, as if I were in the middle of Diablo tetris

aeroaeko

Learned
i militantly avoid watching or reading any gameplay from others on youtube etc. When i see other characters and builds in the same universe im rping in it ruins it all and i cant finish the game.

Swigen

Arbiter
I always organize grid inventories thusly: stuff on the left I’m keeping, stuff on the right I’m selling.

Given the option I always make the choices I’d make if I was in the situation the game’s character is in. I always think it’d be neat to play an evil bastard or a pious goody two-shoes but I just can’t help it and never end up going back and role-playing a different character.

Martyr

Arcane
not really weird, but whenever possible I sleep/rest through all the nights, because I really hate nights in RPGs. they're monotonous looking and either unrealistically bright or so dark that you barely see anything at all.

cepheiden

Educated
Given the option I always make the choices I’d make if I was in the situation the game’s character is in. I always think it’d be neat to play an evil bastard or a pious goody two-shoes but I just can’t help it and never end up going back and role-playing a different character.

Who said you can't roleplay yourself in the game? Pretty sure that is what most people do.
Assuming some superficial and arbitrary evil/good persona sounds like something only an autist would do.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
not really weird, but whenever possible I sleep/rest through all the nights, because I really hate nights in RPGs. they're monotonous looking and either unrealistically bright or so dark that you barely see anything at all.

Oh, I do that too (such as in KCD recently). However, I don't mind the dark lighting as much as I like to LARP (roleplay) as a character who actually functions during the day and rests at night.

I do this unless it's a night-specific mission, of course.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
When doing a playthrough, I often start building my next character in my head based on skills and choices I didn't take, things my current character couldn't do etc.

Sometimes it even feels like I'm not really playing my current character as much as scouting for the next one.

Covenant

Savant
Never throwing away the starting weapons and armour, on the off chance they'll be upgradable to some kind of super gear later on.

Funposter

Arcane
Never throwing away the starting weapons and armour, on the off chance they'll be upgradable to some kind of super gear later on.
I can't name a single game where that has happened. Have any examples?

Masamune from Chrono Trigger
The default Handgun in Resident Evil 4 has an upgrade for 5x Critical Headshot Rate
The starter Persona 'Orpheus' is required to fuse 'Messiah', which is the highest-level Persona is Persona 3
Greatsword of Artorias in Dark Souls requires you to upgrade a Broken Straight Sword or Straight Sword Hilt to +10 before you can ascend them (not the same mechanically, but thematically similar). Similarly, the Blueblood Sword in Demon's Souls can only be obtained by upgrading the Broken Sword using the Pureblood Demon's Soul, although this is neither starting equipment nor a common drop from trash mobs. Rather, the Broken Sword in DeS is a unique item.

In the back of my mind, somewhere, I also acknowledge this as a common trope, but I am struggling to think of examples. I think it's mainly a Japanese thing.

Edit: in the same vein as the Handgun from RE4, the basic Zenith Handgun from Deus Ex; Human Revolution can be upgraded with the Armor Piercing System, meaning that all basic enemies are killed in one headshot, and Heavy Troopers in two. However, this can be found quite early on in the game (immediately after the tutorial mission, if you rush over to it).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom