Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird habits carried over games

U-8D8

Savant
Ever since the Old Camp in Gothic, I've always sided with the red authoritarian factions that always seem to crop up in Piranha Bytes games. Chalk it up to some latent political leanings if you want.

Absinthe

Arcane
Never throwing away the starting weapons and armour, on the off chance they'll be upgradable to some kind of super gear later on.
I can't name a single game where that has happened. Have any examples?
Baldur's Gate II with the Ascension mod, keeping the Sword of Chaos +2 you get from the opening level until you meet Sarevok allows you to give it to him and have him upgrade it into a Sword of Chaos +4 with much better perks.

wyes gull

Savant
Never doing mindless, repetitive busywork, mostly when it pertains to grinding. Thanks but no thanks, I already have a job. Game, meet Mr. Engine.

deuxhero

Arcane
If a game has unlimited inventory, I keep at least one of every item. If it has an inventory that's in any way limited I sell everything I don't need, even if the limit is so generous a normal player won't run into it.

Never throwing away the starting weapons and armour, on the off chance they'll be upgradable to some kind of super gear later on.
I can't name a single game where that has happened. Have any examples?

Masamune from Chrono Trigger
The default Handgun in Resident Evil 4 has an upgrade for 5x Critical Headshot Rate
The starter Persona 'Orpheus' is required to fuse 'Messiah', which is the highest-level Persona is Persona 3
Greatsword of Artorias in Dark Souls requires you to upgrade a Broken Straight Sword or Straight Sword Hilt to +10 before you can ascend them (not the same mechanically, but thematically similar). Similarly, the Blueblood Sword in Demon's Souls can only be obtained by upgrading the Broken Sword using the Pureblood Demon's Soul, although this is neither starting equipment nor a common drop from trash mobs. Rather, the Broken Sword in DeS is a unique item.

In the back of my mind, somewhere, I also acknowledge this as a common trope, but I am struggling to think of examples. I think it's mainly a Japanese thing.

Edit: in the same vein as the Handgun from RE4, the basic Zenith Handgun from Deus Ex; Human Revolution can be upgraded with the Armor Piercing System, meaning that all basic enemies are killed in one headshot, and Heavy Troopers in two. However, this can be found quite early on in the game (immediately after the tutorial mission, if you rush over to it).

Also the Spur in Cave Story. Portrait of Ruin has some sidequests that require at least one of the early items that are unique to complete. Orpheus doesn't count though, since it's so much better to make a new Orpheus with endgame skills than it is to keep a useless one around all game. Also I'm fairly sure you can't get rid of the Masamune.

Funposter

Arcane
Orpheus doesn't count though, since it's so much better to make a new Orpheus with endgame skills than it is to keep a useless one around all game.

Yes, the Compendium gets rid of the need to really "keep" anything. I was looking for anything which vaguely fit.

Norfleet

Constructing additional pylons. Because YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS. In any game, I'll find out what constitutes a pylon and CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL ONES.

This behavior transfers from game to game, and starts to infect the other players. A guy left years ago, when I first joined, came back to find everyone going YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS and wondering what I did to them.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Sneaking up behind enemies in first person games with the overwhelming desire to knock them out with a crack to the back of their skull, even though you can't. Because 'Thief'.

PapaPetro

I never use consumables like potions and stuff. Philosophically, there's always something harder down the pike that I need to be saving it for.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I play to blog. I used to play just to play, but now I play to blog. As I play, I can't stop thinking about what I'm going to write on my blog.

Also, I work as hard as hell to take a great screencap. I employ the tactic that yields the best screencap. I've taken screencaps that look great, and yet no one cares. It was painstaking to set things up for that great screencap, yet no one ever cares.

Well, three people have appreciated my painstaking screencaps and image manipulations. Three over 6 years and 400 posts. It makes me a bit sad.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't have anything unique, I bet many people are like this, but I have to finish every mission and quests in any game.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Keeping every quest item, even when it's no longer needed and takes up space/weight just in case I'll need it again. Same goes with consumables.

I do that too, imagine my shock when it actually paid off in Planescape : Torment.

I also never use consumables in case "I need them". When I actually could use them in front of a super bad ass boss I tend to completely forget I have those and try just any other option eventually beating them.

Also, when the game is open world-ish (or at least allows enough freedom of exploration), I explore everything, avoiding combat, dungeons as much as possible, talking to everyone, visiting every place before eventually getting around to do stuff that will allow me to progress. I actually do this out of strategy so that I know all of my options before progressing in the game. I'm not it's the most effective way, when I come to think about it.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
I'm another consumable hoarder, but wait until towards the end of the game. I then use those consumables like they are going out of style during that point (where it usually gets harder) and praise my consumable hoarding forgetfulness and foresight at the same time. If the game's difficulty didn't increase that dramatically or my character(s) are OP, I just sell most of it and buy some expensive items. I suppose that would be another, buying only the best stuff right at the end too (because there is always something better) and not really getting much use of it where I could have benefited from something much earlier on that is not as good but almost as good.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I will stop for like an hour or two every couple of "level ups" and basically completely re-organize the whole inventory of the party.
That means remove everything from everyone and re-equip them from scratch.
It's sad to admit the satisfaction this brings me :P

Black Angel

Arcane
If there's a quicksave feature, and especially if there are at least 10 save slots, I always, ALWAYS quicksave/put a hard save before facing encounters and initiating conversations with (seemingly) important NPCs. This resulted in me having, like, hundreds of saves for even trivial things.

Barbalos

Savant
Always go in the opposite direction

Nothing like realizing you're going the right way, which means you have to double back and go the other way so you don't miss any chests or hidden things. Til you realize the second path you've went is actually the way for progression, so you have to triple back to your original path...

:despair:

sullynathan

Arcane
If there's a quicksave feature, and especially if there are at least 10 save slots, I always, ALWAYS quicksave/put a hard save before facing encounters and initiating conversations with (seemingly) important NPCs. This resulted in me having, like, hundreds of saves for even trivial things.
I only started doing this shit when games started corrupting or deleting my save files. Better be safe than sorry.

Beastro

Arcane
The sad part is when I've overcome the consumable saving and then get pissed at how easy it's made the game.

I quickly realized that in Legacy of Kain and chose to avoid the damage consumables given how many I had and how they were all effectively one shot kills. Using spells or using consumables is fine in the game, but both make the game even easier than it already is.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I will stop for like an hour or two every couple of "level ups" and basically completely re-organize the whole inventory of the party.
That means remove everything from everyone and re-equip them from scratch.
It's sad to admit the satisfaction this brings me :P

I spent about 10 minutes trying to sum up that same thought when I glanced up and saw your post. My OCD teases itself early on a play-through, and usually halfway through a game I've become Rain Man with my gear. Cataloging and organizing potions, weapons, armor, squad alignment, quest management, etc - it all becomes a dizzying haze of organizational neurosis. And if the game's item management or UI is somehow limiting me in controlling my team/inventory, I'm likely to just dump everything and go get a beer to calm down.

Yeah i HAVE :keepmyjewgold: to master the economy in any RPG that allows it. When it comes to completion criteria, i consider this almost as important as reaching max level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom