Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Don't know why would I be "bullshitting"?
Because over 9000 detection and fails doesnt sound right. Now that I have tried it with 220 it is a little bit more believable but still not really.

I really like crawlers and people crying about them are gigantic faggots.

Candide

Educated
I think I'm done exploring everything in the Black Sea, i.e. they are all dead Jim. Well done Styg and the team. It's a ridiculous amount of entertainment for 10 bucks.

Last edited:
The clothing update has made the gauntlet look pretty weird. The other two guys run in in their jumpsuits, and my guy's in his shorts. And then I finish it and have to leave in my shorts again since they immediately took my jumpsuit back (and then I stole it back anyway because fuck you I wore it for a few floors so I view it as my property now).
I realise this is kinda old but I hadn't done the gauntlet for a while so this is the first time I saw it. Looks weird.

Damianus_NT

Novice
I really like crawlers and people crying about them are gigantic faggots.
I see that you have an interesting mindset.
First, you consider an opinion like "I like tricky enemies in RPGs but im not fond of the crawlers." as crying.
Second, if someone does not like something you like, you consider them as "gigantic faggots".

Because over 9000 detection and fails doesnt sound right.
Did you just prove our point? ; )

I should rectify though. "Not fond of crawlers" is kinda bad wording on my part. I find these monsters very interesting and really like the concept. It is the encounters themselves which are frustrating sometimes, for the reasons already discussed. Im sure many share the same sentiment. But we would not spend hundreds of hours with the game if we were so butthurt over this, now would we? There is place, in RPGs, for annoying enemies too.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
It's either one of the words in the key, for example, "Swan One Ballet" means it's just a 1.
You can also get the number literally in the key, so "Something 8 Notes" is obviously 8.
It may also be possible that there's a 3rd variant that is more of a hint, but I only had the 2 variants above myself.
And I just brute-forced the 10 options for the 4th key as that was faster than the alternative.

So look if a key has a single note in it. For example, in AbGGBD# B D#BbE you don't really need to decypher anything other than B.
Focus on 3-5 letter words otherwise, since 0-9 spelled out are all in that length ofc.
If that fails translate the entire key ofc.

Good luck.

Wow.... that makes perfect sense now. How could the ingame explanation be so opaque?

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Just got the game, very hyped (last rpg I played was Avernum, love subterranean stuff). Managed to last 3 hours before the game forced me to finally install cheat engine.
For speedhack, specifically. How in the hells can people make an entire fleshed out game only to fuck up literally the most basic thing, walking speed, that they only needed to double or something?

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Im sure many share the same sentiment.
Good argument, breh.
Crawlers are not annoying. They are one of the few enemies you fight differently than the rest of the garbage. They should be made more annoying and really unfair so that even OP builds would avoid them. As it is, there are too many cheap and easy ways to deal with them.

Annoying and retarded are hives and the trash they spew out. Makes me think I am playing Pillars of Shit 1.

Blackmill

Scholar
The issue is that without stealth (or forcefield/fire blocking etc.) crawlers will beeline and attack you before you get enough detection ticks in, no amount will help you there.
I've seen a few death crawlers with <200 detection because they hesitated in attacking due to the environment.

On that note, are there even normal crawlers on dominating?

Yeah, there are normal crawlers. Also, at level 20 I had 15 PER, +130 detection goggles, and 240-ish stealth. Death Stalkers still got the jump on me most of the time. At best I caught their shadow 2-3 tiles away. Maybe if I paused every 2-3 tiles I could always detect them before they attacked. But doing that in a very large cave with 8+ death stalkers is not fun.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
For Joint Security Headquarters,

Do you need to go to the health center first to pass the bioscan? That's what I'm guessing, but jesus, in that case why tell me to go to any of those two and make me jetski back and forth
I'm stuck right before that myself. Can you tell me how you
managed to pass by the four plasma turrets at the entrance?

Just got the game, very hyped (last rpg I played was Avernum, love subterranean stuff). Managed to last 3 hours before the game forced me to finally install cheat engine.
For speedhack, specifically. How in the hells can people make an entire fleshed out game only to fuck up literally the most basic thing, walking speed, that they only needed to double or something?
Normal people press + on their numpad but no, might as well install a cheat engine and rant on the Internet that the game is deeply flawed.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane

Do you need to go to the health center first to pass the bioscan? That's what I'm guessing, but jesus, in that case why tell me to go to any of those two and make me jetski back and forth

So you can get
ambushed while naked by the Naga Protector.
I thought it was a nice touch.

I'm pretty sure you have to kill them. Best help I found is to LoS them, easy if you're ranged.

Im sure many share the same sentiment.
Good argument, breh.
Crawlers are not annoying. They are one of the few enemies you fight differently than the rest of the garbage. They should be made more annoying and really unfair so that even OP builds would avoid them. As it is, there are too many cheap and easy ways to deal with them.

Annoying and retarded are hives and the trash they spew out. Makes me think I am playing Pillars of Shit 1.

If you one-shot the Hive you'll only face one wave of locusts, easy with cryo-orb as PSI.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, there are normal crawlers. Also, at level 20 I had 15 PER, +130 detection goggles, and 240-ish stealth. Death Stalkers still got the jump on me most of the time.

You doing it wrong then, because I have like 13 Perception, and 60% detection goggles, 200 stealth and can detect them just fine.

At best I caught their shadow 2-3 tiles away.

And what the fuck else do you need?

Well, meaybe it's fun to die and reload, then complain here?

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

I'm pretty sure you have to kill them. Best help I found is to LoS them, easy if you're ranged.
[/quote]
Is that seriously how the player is supposed to deal with them? I'm a crossbowman. It's gonna cost me a lot of time, painful effort and EMP bolts.

Is that seriously how the player is supposed to deal with them? I'm a crossbowman. It's gonna cost me a lot of time, painful effort and EMP bolts.

Candide

Educated
Maybe try to run past them to get inside? They could be helpful when you're done with the headquarters and reemerge.

Maybe try to run past them to get inside? They could be helpful when you're done with the headquarters and reemerge.
I've tried that, yes. I managed, with great effort, to get to the gate... which can't be interacted with while in combat.

Candide

Educated
I've tried that, yes. I managed, with great effort, to get to the gate... which can't be interacted with while in combat.
Doh. Well you better get on with the destroying then. It's not any better inside, it is a security headquarters after all :)

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so i finally start my expeditions playtrough with PSI build and oddity.

what the fuck is wrong with the "loading" when you start the game? why does it take like a minute or more?

Black Angel

Arcane
Thanks, i shall follow your suggestion. Are there any plot repercussions of this decision? Or is this a meaningless choice, resulting only in an optional feat?
What happens in Lemurian Health Center, stays in Lemurian Health Center, mate. Other than advancing the expedition and gives you some XP, that is.

Anyway, I think the feat is meant for non PSI-characters because the crit chance applies only to unarmed and weapons. While 30% penalty to resolve does sucks, at very least it wasn't a flat reduction, and that 30% penalty actually hurts high Will characters more.
One extra question. Is there a way to befriend the pirates or gain an access to their base AFTER the negotiations? They are neutral and attack only when you get near their troops/turrets, but there is no way to explore their territory without making them hostile. Not a big deal though. Natives are still alive too.
I'd assume you should only be able to 'befriend' (i.e join) or gain unrestricted access to their base only if you said you want to join them/offered your service to their captain. Otherwise, I don't see why they'll just let an expedition team member do as they please in their turfs after the negotiation especially since the deal is no expedition personnel gets close to them, and that includes you.

Sucks that there's nothing to do with the pirates after the expedition is over, though.

I regret not investing into persuasion skill early. Missed several quest solutions (SGS heliping Eels, medications for the Muties etc.). The extra levels from the expansion basically enable maxing one extra skill. Hacking, lockpicking, crafting, mercantile... they are all "capped" before we hit 25. So far, i invested 65 skillpoints into persuasion just to pass a single dielogue check (protectorate quest).
You should focus on what you want to play with at start and what really matters to your build archetype, mate. There's always another chance to play another character and choose different course of actions and dialogue options there.
By "Crawlers" I mean the whole family of monsters sharing the same mechanics. That includes, in example, spiders from Lemurian Manufacturing Complex.
Wait, what? The creepers of the Black Sea doesn't do anything like the crawlers. The entire time of my encounters with them, even the stealthed ones who attacked and landed their poison on me just keep on attacking me after coming out of stealth. Or does it happen if you didn't kill them in your next turn? Or did you mean stealthy enemies in general?
On the cipher...

Am I retarded? How does each key translate into a single digit? I eventually gave up and sought out help here but none of the guides give me anything to answer this basic question. The guide on gameplay.tips ends with spelling the first word, but I don't see what relevance this has to THE DIGIT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO ARRIVE AT. What the hell am I missing?
The cipher contains the digit either as a number or as a letter, all in the exact same text. The guide on gameplay.tips approached the riddle from the opposite direction, which could confuse the heck out of many people. Basically, you need 3 things: (1) the text, (2) the octave keys, and (3) the intervals. (1) is the one you got from administration floor, (2) and (3) you got from security and armory floor. (1) is simple enough, while (2) is the keys corresponding to each line/sentences in the text. While (3) is spelled for you above the keys. Example, here's my text:
Here's your text:
1. EC#GAbF D# C#CA CFGAbF#FC#AbAG
2. CEAbBAbC#CABF#FE A BAGACC#C
3. AbBAFF#C AbBb AC#BCC# FCACEFC#FC#C#AbG
4. C#CA B C#AbEABC#GB CC#FBC
While here is my keys and intervals

Interval key: (0) perfect fourth, (3) minor second, (6) major seventh.

Octave keys:

Key 1: 036 1130084101030301003
Key 2: 036 17033410330170030414
Key 3: 036 0300343001014043174104133
Key 4: 036 41074340313044034::

Notice how I've numbered each line with the corresponding keys, and how I numbered each interval with corresponding octave keys. You should first know the basic as explained by the game, what transposition and modulation means, that every octave has 12 notes, etc etc. The rules are pretty much this:

1. The first 3 numbers in each key lines are ALWAYS the octave keys. This means 0 is octave 0, 3 is octave 3, etc etc, and in my case, it's in that order.
  2. The next numbers in each key lines will corresponds to one note in the corresponding lines in the text. For example, in the first line, E C# G Ab F D# will corresponds to 1 1 3 0 0 8
  3. Because there are 3 octave keys, this means there are 36 specific answers corresponding to 36 notes from the sum of 3 octave keys.
  4. Finally, the intervals are connected in a way that the first in the interval order is a transposition to the notes of the first octave key, i.e since my first interval key is perfect fourth, this means I have to shift all the notes in octave 0 by 5 semitones. 5 semitones from C, the first note of an octave, is ([C#/Db]-D-[D#/Eb]-E-F) F. So, octave 0 after shifted by perfect fourth now begins from F, and its 12th notes is now E of octave 1.
It might be a lot to take in, but Tygrende shared his more simple method by using excel sheet:
Aq8wBNF.png
So far I see a great deal of 'find old datalog full of superlong loredump monologues', and a lot of in-dialogue narrations, both of which are too often written like some pretentious undergraduate's paean. OK, it makes sense to find a dead scientist's log and it's 10 pages of nerdspasming about science, but that doesn't make it good storytelling for the player.
Those datalogs are completely optional, though. While it might seems weird that the expedition team in general doesn't seem to really care about you finding those logs and registering it to Seeger, we can assume that other, more 'substantial' findings are more important and thus the ones they really sought and will reward you for.
One thing to note, in other games (like Bioshock, for example) you find this logs as you explore the areas, read/listen to them and find out what happened there as you go. In Expedition, you explore all the areas first, try to figure out what happened by yourself and, in other cases, figure out how things work based on available information (especially with a certain cipher), and only after you complete exploration can you register those logs and (if you cared enough) finally find out what actually happened there. I like this approach more, honestly.
On the other hand, where Underrail's writing has always excelled - real living characters with simple, well executed characteristics - has been great in Expeditions as well. On that front there can be no complaints whatsoever.
I was referring more to the improved use of the language. Less grammatical and spelling errors, improved sentence structure, better word choice, more naturally flowing, etc. It's still Underrail. I'm not coming to it for an enthralling story or anything.
Another thing that I haven't seen mentioned:
Banter between Marky and Ladelman. Definitely the highest point of character interaction of being in Expedition faction. I also love how they give you an option to interrupt them from the very start, even if it's the only one chance. Not sure if the pirates have anything like that, but I sincerely hope so.
You'd think scientific writing be concise and to the point, but no, let me add two paragraphs how I am saving humanity first...
Uh.... literally zero datalogs in Expedition are written in this way. Like, at all. The closest would be some guy talked about how they read in the old books that in the Surface there are trees and the Sun shining upon them, and how they want to emulate that in the Black Sea, but that's it. No saving humanity mumbo-jumbo.

So you can get
Wait, what the fuck? Why are you guys getting naked or didn't able to pass the bioscan? Hmm....
Is it because the arm is considered unhygiene/unsafe, and thus it's preferable to transfer the microchip to your own hand?

High Frequency Energy Shield Emitter, bre. The turrets deals energy damage exclusively. Or perhaps they also got to deal a bit of electricity damage? Either way, shouldn't be able to penetrate or even instantly exhaust energy shields since they aren't EMPs. With 10x combat speed, going back to run out of their range and forth to shoot EMP bolts at them should do the trick. I should know, I do the exact same thing as a PSI by throwing Electrokinesis at them.... until I realize I could just stack Temporal Distortion after putting them in Stasis :lol:

But seriously, they're placed rather far from one another, so you should be able to bait them one by one. In fact, against one (and probably two of them) who are close to the water, you should be able to abuse using the jet ski's high MP to run back and forth without having to worry about getting attacked. Think there's really no other way for Crossbows to deal with bots and turrets in general other than having enough good feats under your belt and abuse line of sight.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So I finished up the Expeditions arc, how do you make nice with either the pirates or the natives or is that just some kind of meme? I kinda sorta killed most of them. Also:
Who all will buy/react to the Acorn?

Oh and fuck locusts, fuck those five minute turn taking bugs in their bug assholes with a gas grenade.

Trash Player

Scholar

Don't forget emp nades.

Parabalus

Arcane
Doh. Well you better get on with the destroying then. It's not any better inside, it is a security headquarters after all :)

Yeah, there are like 4 of them clumped on the inside as well. Dunno tbh how melee are supposed to deal with them, they have True Sight right?

So you can get
Wait, what the fuck? Why are you guys getting naked or didn't able to pass the bioscan? Hmm....
Is it because the arm is considered unhygiene/unsafe, and thus it's preferable to transfer the microchip to your own hand?

Yes, because of the biocontamination,
the robot says you should dump all your stuff in the container, then if you get rejected (there is no clue that you should visit the joint center first) a naga protector wakes up. You still have to find your stuff after you pass the scan, didn't you have to strip?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom