Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs (With User Reviews!)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Greetings traveler. I hope your mouse wheel / PgDown key are in good shape, because is this one MASSIVE piece of content!

About 5 years ago we made a voting to determine the Top RPGs of all time. We had 234 codexers voting on 223 RPGs. After we got the ranking, we asked people to write why short reviews for each title. That was the RPG Codex Top 70 PC RPGs, one of my favorite things of the Codex and what later led to the CRPG Book.

But new games are released every day now, and we decided to make an updated version, with the same rules. This time 361 codexers voted on 278 RPGs. And instead of a Top 70, we made a Top 101! With reviews!

As with the previous one, the rankings after the Top 20-30 are not as important, this should really seen as a list of interesting games to try out. Few people will enjoy niche titles like Elminage Gothic or Tales of Maj'Eyal, but those that do will absolutely love them.

You can check the full results of the voting HERE (plus a comparison with the previous poll), or just scroll down to start reading! OBS: Some entries share the same number, that's because they were tied in the voting.

Thanks to everyone who voted and wrote reviews, have a good reading!
:love:

Read the full article: The RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs (With User Reviews!)

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane
Didn't feel like sleeping tonight anyway. Thanks for all the work put into this list (and the CRPG book), you're a treasure.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Don't agree with the rankings, but most of the reviews are well-written. Good job, overall.
Yeah, to be honest I don't like the rankings either, but they are not that important IMHO. I think the Top 10 are the all-time classics (and basically the exact same games from the 2014 poll), the #11-#50 are all-around great games, while the rest of the list is basically a bunch of cool games that some people really love, in no real particular order.

And that's why I like to make these, games like Elminage Gothic, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Geneforge or Sengoku Rance would never be on any other ranking. I only found out about Drakensang: River of Time thanks to the 2014 poll.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think I already said this in the review thread, but it is worth repeating: The fact that we have new games getting high ranking in the poll really shows that our hobby is healthy at the moment. Rejoice!
While I agree, 2019 has been a really bad year. We are in August and what's the best we got so far? Outward? Operencia?

Danikas

Arcane
I think I already said this in the review thread, but it is worth repeating: The fact that we have new games getting high ranking in the poll really shows that our hobby is healthy at the moment. Rejoice!
While I agree, 2019 has been a really bad year. We are in August and what's the best we got so far? Outward? Operencia?
2019 is a shit sandwich nothing interesting came out so far, hope that 2020 will be a fat year.

Let's hope it is just a yearly fluctuation and 2020 will make all of us happy.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
This was quite a monumental undertaking to not only do another Top 100 poll, but to collect a couple Codex reviews for each of the entries.

If there is ever another poll, I would kick out some of the games due to not being RPG's but other genres with RPG elements. Especially the action games with RPG elements do not deserve to be on this list.

mindfields

Learned
12. Dark Souls
Fv1v9eK.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom