Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

S.torch

Arbiter
I hate the dialogue and voice acting and the fact that there is so much of it. Fucking relentless. Also the giant red arrows over the heads of enemies. Why are they so worried about little timmy xbox kiddie? Is having 2 other characters that shoot everything for you not already enough? Or a stop time ability with a sniper rifle. I don't even know what the uber C and X buttons do yet but I assume one makes you invincible and the other one destroys the planet. Also that area they keep showing is ugly as fuck. I am not a graphics whore, KOTC is one of my favorite games ever, but geezus, it looks like someone smeared moldy turds all over my screen.

Coooooooool so you don't even need to play the game at all! You can press one button to make your companions run up ahead, then press another button and they destroy everything and you can sit back and watch like a drooling console retard. There is a cooldown on the companion godmode though. So you have to take a handful of cheesey puffs and wait 8 seconds before sending them to slaughter the next convenient group of 5 enemies.

Also I get why they added the giant red arrows now. It is not just for the dim target audience, but also to help you see enemies because EVERYTHING IS FUCKING BROWN. The characters, the ground, the sky, the walls, scenery, the buildings, it is just a big mush of shit.

I lost my breath reading this and laughing about it! man... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

jf8350143

Liturgist
The red arrow was a stealth related thing, if they don't see you it's empty, when they starts to see you it gets filled.

Quillon

Arcane
Being able to tell your companions who to attack in real time is a good thing. Being able to preset their behavior so they only attack who you direct them to attack is a good thing.

These are, how you say, RPG elements.

Only the teleporting and forced cutscene is bad, very bad, mega bad... I don't know how they haven't realize and changed it. Tim Cain's on his 11th or 12th playthrough apparently, didn't it get old watching the same cutscene attacks over and over and over...again? I give it half an hour before I get sick of it.

soulburner

Cipher
Watching videos showing RPG gameplay always bore the hell out of me, no matter if it's something old school or an action RPG like this one. So... I reserve judgement for now.
The not so great graphics... I hope they translate to not so great hardware requirements, so I can play this on my potato.

PS - are Epic Store games easily available on torrents? :P

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Only the teleporting and forced cutscene is bad, very bad, mega bad... I don't know how they haven't realize and changed it. Tim Cain's on his 11th or 12th playthrough apparently, didn't it get old watching the same cutscene attacks over and over and over...again? I give it half an hour before I get sick of it.

That’s only for the special attacks, which is a separate thing. Also, you can apparently disable those cutscenes—they weren’t in the new footage that was narrated by Heins.

Quillon

Arcane

That’s only for the special attacks, which is a separate thing. Also, you can apparently disable those cutscenes—they weren’t in the new footage that was narrated by Heins.

They are there: https://youtu.be/nBU0uYRepk0?t=395

Hope we can disable it but companions teleport, at least Parvati teleports for the melee attack and it takes control away from player for the duration, meaning disabling it wouldn't be just a visual style choice but also an advantage.

FFXV has this shit but there are several different attacks & combos for each companion throughout the game there, it doesn't make it as bad as watching the same attacks for the whole game...still bad tho.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Both the companions and the role they play in combat make me think a lone wolf playthrough would be the best option. From what I've seen of her, I am having trouble telling apart Nyoka from Xoti. ("I don't go by looks, I go by the amount of pain in the ass you cause me.")

Infinitron , is the "bad spelling" because of the feminine pronoun?

Thanks Dishonoredbr. Everyone with a reddit account should upvote my sweet post I just made in hopes of getting his attention.
7 hours later, I'm the only upvote you have :lol:

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Both the companions and the role they play in combat make me think a lone wolf playthrough would be the best option. From what I've seen of her, I am having trouble telling apart Nyoka from Xoti. ("I don't go by looks, I go by the amount of pain in the ass you cause me.")

Really? Nyoka seems more like Palegina than Xoti to me.. While Parvati looks and sounds a lot like less of a manic-pixie-dream girl version of Xoti.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Like that Rick and Morty quote says, I go by how annoying she feels. I agree though. Speaking of Nyoka, her writing was pretty cringe. It made an impression on me how some characters sound very realistic and grounded and others are apparently trying to be more wacky, but end up just being boringly wordy.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Neither of them annyoned me. If they don't go full ''STRONK WOMAN'' one dimensional bs for Nyoka, maybe i won't hate her. Hell if she's actually more like Maia than Deadfire's Pallegina , that already something to me.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
While Parvati looks and sounds a lot like less of a manic-pixie-dream girl version of Xoti.

Boyarsky's really keeping Starks in line, eh?

Like that Rick and Morty quote says, I go by how annoying she feels. I agree though. Speaking of Nyoka, her writing was pretty cringe. It made an impression on me how some characters sound very realistic and grounded and others are apparently trying to be more wacky, but end up just being boringly wordy.

She's a Dan McPhee character so I guess that just goes to show that Obsidian's new writers continue to remain weak across the board.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Everytime Nyoka puts out her "special move" with the gun turret in one of the gameplay videos, I have to cringe so hard. It should look cool, instead it looks like she just has to pass some gas after a long period of surpressed flatulence.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Boyarsky's really keeping Starks in line, eh?
Parvati was actually cute the way she asked that the player doesn't divert power from the town. I like it how they charged Starks Dollarhyde with writing a character who sticks for the corporation. Good job mr. Boyarski!

Parvati is Dollarhyde's. We haven't seen Starks' companion yet(HYPE! :D) ...unless she wrote Ellie or Felix.
Geez, I happend to like a Dollaryhde character at first glance? There is always a first time I guess.

Everytime Nyoka puts out her "special move" with the gun turret in one of the gameplay videos, I have to cringe so hard. It should look cool, instead it looks like she just has to pass some gas after a long period of surpressed flatulence.
That too, but it was her fetch quest and writing that were really unsettling.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Parvati is Dollarhyde's. We haven't seen Starks' companion yet(HYPE! :D) ...unless if she wrote Ellie or Felix.

Where'd you hear that?

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/02/21/everything-we-know-about-companions-in-the-outer-worlds
“Parvati is a very sweet, naïve person,” says senior narrative designer Megan Starks. “She doesn’t really fit in with the community, because it’s all about conforming and putting the corporations first. As a mechanic, she likes to give personalities to the machines she’s working on and creating, and that doesn’t fit in very well with the society. So I think it’s nice to have two companions who are coming at it from opposite sides. Parvati saying ‘Oh, we should help these people,’ and then Ellie is a lot more like, ‘Well, me and mine.’”

Additionally, Patel wrote Ellie, Nitai Poddar wrote Felix. Some interview mentioned that Starks wrote at least one more (a guy).

Quillon

Arcane

Who is Nitai Poddar? :D

Boyarsky saw dex' criticism of Starks' companions and used her in other areas? :P

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Parvati is Dollarhyde's. We haven't seen Starks' companion yet(HYPE! :D) ...unless if she wrote Ellie or Felix.

Where'd you hear that?

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/02/21/everything-we-know-about-companions-in-the-outer-worlds
“Parvati is a very sweet, naïve person,” says senior narrative designer Megan Starks. “She doesn’t really fit in with the community, because it’s all about conforming and putting the corporations first. As a mechanic, she likes to give personalities to the machines she’s working on and creating, and that doesn’t fit in very well with the society. So I think it’s nice to have two companions who are coming at it from opposite sides. Parvati saying ‘Oh, we should help these people,’ and then Ellie is a lot more like, ‘Well, me and mine.’”

Additionally, Patel wrote Ellie, Nitai Poddar wrote Felix. Some interview mentioned that Starks wrote at least one more (a guy).

Just because she's describing her doesn't mean she wrote her.

I think Megan is writing the two "secret" companions we haven't seen yet.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Seems extremely strange to interview specific designers about characters they're not actually in charge of writing, but I guess that happened. Did Dollarhyde just not want to talk to them???

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Seems extremely strange to interview specific designers about characters they're not actually in charge of writing, but I guess that happened.
Doesn't seem weird to me that writers on a team would also have opinions about the things they're not handling themselves. That's kinda part of what a team is about, no?

Duraframe300

Arcane

Seems extremely strange to interview specific designers about characters they're not actually in charge of writing, but I guess that happened. Did Dollarhyde just not want to talk to them???

Dollarhyde was most likely not on the press tour considering her Lead Narrative Designer duties on another project.

Anyway,

Supernova is the hardest difficulty option in The Outer Worlds.

• You can only select this difficulty option at the start of the game.
  • If you reduce the difficulty below supernova you cannot re-enable it.
  • Enemies have more health and deal more damange.
  • You must eat, drink and sleep to survive.
  • Companions can die permanently.
  • Crippled body and limb conditions can only be healed with bed rest.
  • Weapons and armor work very poorly at zero durability
  • You can only fast travel to your ship.
  • You can only sleep inside.
  • You can only manually save inside your ship and autosaves are limited, compared to the other difficulty options.

Quillon

Arcane
Supernova is the hardest difficulty option in The Outer Worlds.

• You can only select this difficulty option at the start of the game.
  • If you reduce the difficulty below supernova you cannot re-enable it.
  • Enemies have more health and deal more damange.
  • You must eat, drink and sleep to survive.
  • Companions can die permanently.
  • Crippled body and limb conditions can only be healed with bed rest.
  • Weapons and armor work very poorly at zero durability
  • You can only fast travel to your ship.
  • You can only sleep inside.
  • You can only manually save inside your ship and autosaves are limited, compared to the other difficulty options.

It would be better if they delegate the survival stuff to a separate hardcore mode like in NV. There are people who doesn't like survival mechanics but likes challenging combat, vice versa.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom