Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I had two visions, she had her Freudian slip and so there's plenty of inklings about what's going on. But in terms of what to do now the west and south doors are still closed, she can't open them, there are no strongmen to be found, there's no other options. The security computer can't lift lockdown, the strongmen on the east wing all went hostile after I talked to the deathman so now they are dead. Really can't see what interaction nodes are left?
I might misinterpret where you are but from what I remember I talked to a friendly/suicidal strongman who ran away (which triggered other robots to be hostile). After that I've complained to the receptionist about the closed gates and she said "oh but one of them is open" and when I went to check it really was open

Sounds similar, but what happened is:

Arrive by elevator to central area w/ 3 closed doors
Talk to receptionist in the area, who says 'oh but door is open', and lo the east door is open
East area contains the suicidal strongman
Talk to him, east area now full of hostile robots, fight them
Talk to receptionist about this and that, but no more doors opening or whatever

I wonder if it's a bug? I guess I'll try and start again from the start of Health Center save? Jesus, I really hate fighting these robots, it's just same routine rinse and repeat.
I didn't even had to talk to her,the door was just opened. Go and check if it is,maybe it shows to be closed as a fog of war thing.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Because of the puzzle or something else that annoys you? (swarms are build dependent, some builds have it easier than others, for example its possible to oneshot the hive with cryo orb, and AOE ignores most of the evasion against locusts, destroyed hives will make that the locust no longer respawn there)

Steam tells me that I've logged 843 hours into Underrail. All of them have been fantastic except the hours since 7/22/19. The swarms are fucking awful. Sorry. Locusts, crabs, spiders, natives, fucking robot people. I don't know how you got it in your heads that "SWARMS, DUDE!" was the key to an expansion for Underrail but it fucking sucks. Like really, really, really fucking sucks. And much as I love the setting and story and all the new graphics I'm having a helluva time trying to find the part of this that's actually enjoyable. Not once in those 800+ hours of the rest of the game did I consider walking away from the game but now I'm stuck in a mindset of having to force myself not to.

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, turns out it's a bug-ish thing. The deathman went hostile on me when I had reloaded to put a couple traps for the fight, and killing him this way means the west wing door to the implant land remains closed, trapping you in a broken save with no way out.

So just gotta reload and fight the boring ass robots again. Thanks for your help folks.

ciox

Liturgist
Because of the puzzle or something else that annoys you? (swarms are build dependent, some builds have it easier than others, for example its possible to oneshot the hive with cryo orb, and AOE ignores most of the evasion against locusts, destroyed hives will make that the locust no longer respawn there)

Steam tells me that I've logged 843 hours into Underrail. All of them have been fantastic except the hours since 7/22/19. The swarms are fucking awful. Sorry. Locusts, crabs, spiders, natives, fucking robot people. I don't know how you got it in your heads that "SWARMS, DUDE!" was the key to an expansion for Underrail but it fucking sucks. Like really, really, really fucking sucks. And much as I love the setting and story and all the new graphics I'm having a helluva time trying to find the part of this that's actually enjoyable. Not once in those 800+ hours of the rest of the game did I consider walking away from the game but now I'm stuck in a mindset of having to force myself not to.

Did notice this problem somewhat, not gonna lie. Somewhat similar to DC.

The problem is non-humanoid enemies tend to feel very generic in big groups, they have very similar abilities and very similar loot. So fighting huge groups of crabs gets old fast.

Whereas killing some Lunatics, even in swarms like the mall, leads to you having to deal with all sorts of abilities and leads to all sorts of loot including very useful unexpected stuff like I dunno, Doctor's Bag or a Shield or something that sells very well.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah. The parts of Expeditions that are impressive so far, are the ways in which it builds on and expands the base game. Where it tries some things of its own, the design decisions don't seem to be particularly great (or awful).

I wouldn't overstate the swarminess of the Black Sea, but enemies like Hives (especially when they can trigger combat while you're just passing by on a jet ski) and spawn-out-of-everywhere robots are boring shit with zero variation. Underrail's greatest strength is combat, and these new encounters are mostly carried by the powerful combat system rather than adding anything positive to it.

The pirates and natives can be fun to fight, since they have variation. Negotiating with pirates or talking to the Aegis people can be cool. But the amount of focus on 'go to ruins, find a million loredumps' is baffling, because lore was never a strong point in Underrail. How many ruined compounds with super-long-winded-Pillars-style-expositions-filled diaries and logs can you stuff in the sea? That's not what made the original Underrail such a great game. Styg or whoever wrote it all, I really don't want to read a book-length pile of pretentious scientists' dialogue from you. That's not what you're really good at.

(One line I just got - "Subhuman dissonance, awakening death", from hallucinations? Really? Yeah, I really look forward to finding out the big secret from a smartphone diary log at the bottom of the place filled with 20 pages of humanity must evolve [bzzt] the systems, malfunctioning [UNREADABLE] the xyz technology with abc subsystems and bcd protocols blah blah blah blah)

Last edited:

Sundevil96

Educated
so i finally start my expeditions playtrough with PSI build and oddity.

what the fuck is wrong with the "loading" when you start the game? why does it take like a minute or more?

I started a new game last week without auto save and noticed that starting a new game or transitioning from one level to another was really quick. I turned on auto save in the options and noticed a slow down for each new game I start and going from one level to another.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Where's that PSI beetle brain in a jar?

Have no idea bro, still didn't sail to high seas yet.

in other games (like Bioshock, for example) you find this logs as you explore the areas, read/listen to them and find out what happened there as you go. In Expedition, you explore all the areas first, try to figure out what happened by yourself and, in other cases, figure out how things work based on available information (especially with a certain cipher), and only after you complete exploration can you register those logs and (if you cared enough) finally find out what actually happened there. I like this approach more, honestly.

Eagle eye bro!

Dunno tbh how melee are supposed to deal with them, they have True Sight right?

Normal melee build should one-turn plasma turret, two-turn at worst.

Decent riot armor blocks *most* gun stuff outside of ARs/Sniper rifles. Energy shields can handle the rest of it.

Still you could find yourself using non-RA often... that's the point, at least it was for me in my test machete run.

Speaking of which I think the double barrel needs to be available a lot sooner and without a mercantile check, it's very effective and would have been great help early on.

You could find it in base game, it's completely random as far as I know, maybe you could find it even outside SGS in first barrel.

Have you ever been at Black Marsh(es) by the chance? :lol:

OK, turns out it's a bug-ish thing. The deathman went hostile on me when I had reloaded to put a couple traps for the fight, and killing him this way means the west wing door to the implant land remains closed, trapping you in a broken save with no way out.

Have you reported it alredy? I'll if not.

I wouldn't overstate the swarminess of the Black Sea, but enemies like Hives (especially when they can trigger combat while you're just passing by on a jet ski) and spawn-out-of-everywhere robots are boring shit with zero variation.

I couldn't agree more, sadly.
For me too crabs and strongmen become boring too fast.
Maybe the solution to mix them in more eclectic way, so they could like, gives some tactical difficulties to player?
Also I feel, that if there was a bit more "talky" parts like muties refuge, pirates where you could like, talk and have some different activities than fight crabs and robots, that could somehow mitigate that matter.
After all, Planscape Torment used fights as refreshing activity after tons of text.

But I don't mind locusts at all lol.

Last edited:

razvedchiki

Erudite
Dont you need to open your inventory to acess more spears after you throw your first 2?
Thats why i dont find the investment for the spear throw good,best outcome is to delete an enemy then what?you throw another and you are unarmed.

Tigranes

Arcane
My STR spear guy just used a second spear to throw as backup, useful to take out that guy at the back before he can fuck you. Or I suppose a highly mobile spear dude could be throwing, moving, picking up and throwing again, since pickup is 0AP, but that seems really iffy.

Jezal_k23

Haven't gotten to expansion content yet but I'll say that I like the lore in this game. That said, I don't think it ever delivered it in an overly long winded manner like Pillars or TTON. If it does in the expansion, I don't see why it started now, since they handled this well before.

ciox

Liturgist
Is spear throw worth the dex points plus the feat?
I dunno, is throwing away either your best weapon or your second best weapon usually with 50-60% odds of striking a hit that often doesn't kill, worth it? It's quite the conundrum.

Has someone figured out yet what do you have to do to get 95% odds of striking with a spear throw on an unstunned enemy?

My STR spear guy just used a second spear to throw as backup, useful to take out that guy at the back before he can fuck you. Or I suppose a highly mobile spear dude could be throwing, moving, picking up and throwing again, since pickup is 0AP, but that seems really iffy.

There's a 1 turn cooldown so you can only do that every once in a while with Limited Temporal Increment. Might be worth it on an enemy with exceptionally high resistances.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Dont you need to open your inventory to acess more spears after you throw your first 2?
Thats why i dont find the investment for the spear throw good,best outcome is to delete an enemy then what?you throw another and you are unarmed.

There is Quick Pockets, which could be specced to reduce AP cost to 12. Also, I don't think that you should use Spear Throw as something besides powerful nuke option for especially dangerous enemies.

Has someone figured out yet what do you have to do to get 95% odds of striking with a spear throw on an unstunned enemy?

I guess you need max Dex and throwing. So no Riot Armor. That's what I'll do anyway.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fucking lol. That Styg & Co. actually thought there'd be a single person on the face of the earth who'd want to slog through all the music theory text and find themselves having fun with this puzzle might be the most pretentious and presumptuous thing they've ever done with this game. I'm a fucking musician and have been for 30 odd years, I actually have band practice in an hour, and there is nothing I would rather NOT do than this fucking puzzle.

"I know we took 4 or so years slowly working on this game before finally releasing it, but we had to make sure it was as much of a fucking unfun slog as possible. Hope you enjoy!"

The puzzle is actually exceptionally easy it's just reading through all the terminal text is a giant pain in the dick to figure out what you actually have to do. Solving it is far easier than doing the Mutagen puzzle and requires less backtracking, but reading a giant wall of roleplay text in the terminal entries to figure out what you are supposed to do just takes the fun out of it

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I went through the Joint Security Command place and now I'm stuck when it comes to the Abyssal Elevator. I have no clue where I need to go next and can't figure out how to get into the big LEMCO facility or the Quarry. Any help?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I went through the Joint Security Command place and now I'm stuck when it comes to the Abyssal Elevator. I have no clue where I need to go next and can't figure out how to get into the big LEMCO facility or the Quarry. Any help?
In the north east part of the map there is a submarine,you could get there trough the native geyser village. After you find it,play around in it and open the game,you have to go and talk with the ferryman to get to the lemco facility,after that you go there and use it to get down.

Did anyone managed to get level 5 chip and use the elevator in the health center?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I assume that you need one low, medium and fast shield emitter for different situations? Finally bought some from Ezra.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
I assume that you need one low, medium and fast shield emitter for different situations? Finally bought some from Ezra.
It's based on impact speeds I think, so high will stop more high speed weapons, but be weaker against stuff like melee/crossbows, while low is stronger against those but doesn't block as much high speed weapons (sniper rifles/energy weapons).

It kind of depends on what your build is. My current guy has such high block that I don't really need low speed shielding, but I am vulnerable to ranged damage, so I'm opting for high frequency. But it depends on what your damage mitigation is.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
I say that, and now I'm at the Rathound King, and I'm about to restart a psi character because I think I've created 500 characters in this fucking game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Not really. I always just go with a high-freq primary emitter, low-freq secondary secondary emitter, and an efficiency converter. Capacitors are straight-up garbage and basically only save a handful of batteries here and there, because they really only curtail drain from wandering around with the shield turned on, yet are depleted more quickly once combat actually commences compared to a shield with an efficiency converter. Cost of batteries is a total non-issue.

There are only two, or maybe three things in the entire game that require specialty shields with bespoke emitters and wave amps: sniper rifles, crossbow special bolts, and perhaps things like death stalkers (I'm not sure of the speed of their stings, or if they penetrate shields). There's no realistic way to spec against knives and fists, since they ignore so much shielding to begin with; and typically it's the debuffs that are fucking you up more so than the damage.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, on permadeath run you really want a few different shield emitters.
Also, shields with capacitors aren't that bad - they are for additional safety from random encounters, like in CC you can get stealthed mugger into your face anywhere near Drop Zone, it could be generated in any moment you passing it through. Or when you visit Blaine in underpassage - there could be rogue plasma walkers, and kamikaze bots. Maybe even industrial bots.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Quick question, been a long time since I''ve done Deep Caverns and they're coming up, is the Rathound Regalia going to be enough or should I see about whipping up some fancy boots and coat? Seriously, ever since I got that the game got so much easier.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Quick question, been a long time since I''ve done Deep Caverns and they're coming up, is the Rathound Regalia going to be enough or should I see about whipping up some fancy boots and coat? Seriously, ever since I got that the game got so much easier.
It should be fine on hard, it was for my Psi-Sniper. There is a new unique armor from Expedition that is even better, but I haven't found it yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom